Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Unread 07-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
belligerent
Viking Metal

Opinions on Nephrite fabric color.

Okay so.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what color the shi'tennou's uniforms are "supposed" to be. Sometimes they look blue-grey, sometimes they look navy, sometimes they look purple.

I bought a navy twill for Nephrite but I keep second-guessing on whether that was the right choice. However, since I want to do this for otakon, I'm running out of time. Should I try and get a different fabric that's lighter or has more purple or grey in it or should I just proceed with what I have?

There is a JoAnn's that's about an hour and a half from here that I could check but I wouldn't be able to until next weekend. There's less than a month until Otakon.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

You aren't kidding about the colors. I'm seeing more blue-grey than navy, so that's what I'd choose.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

I had difficulties finding a blue-grey twill heavy and crisp enough at Hancock. There was one they had that was closer, but they didn't have enough on the bolt for an entire uniform, and when I asked them when they'd reorder, they basically told me "when we're out of it." Neither time I checked back, were they out of it, and I didn't want to buy the end of the bolt in case there was a slight difference in the dye.

I may just have to go with what I've already got, since I'm not sure I have time to try and find a replacement.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Unread 07-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Clementine
I do as I please.

I'd go with the blue-grey, but if you can't get your hands on any, no one will burn you at the stake for making it out of navy fabric. If it's dubious enough for you to have to guess at the color then I'm sure many people will have many different slight color variations and to be honest, I doubt anyone will notice aforementioned variations. Do what you gotta do girl.
Friday: Satsuki Kiryuin (transformed version) (Kill La Kill)
Saturday: Swan Lake variation of Kraehe(Princess Tutu)
Sunday: TBD

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (planning)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I agree with all of the above. Personally, I think it's probably more blue-grey, but it's pretty hard to tell and the color changes depending on the episode/scene, so I navy wouldn't look out of place.
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

I already started cutting so it's just going to have to be how it is, heh. Hopefully under camera light it will appear lighter... It's more of a "light navy" than a true navy.