Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Business Practices That Turn You On/Off

(Not sure if this ought to be here or in the reviews forum, but as it isn't in review format, this is my best guess. Please move it if I've guessed incorrectly!)

I notice a lot of business owners and site representatives lurking on this site. They might pop up conveniently to refute a bad review or pop in for their requisite 10 posts in order to open a blatant marketplace storefront and never post again, or they might post here and there to get their business's links out through signatures. Some are contributors to the community and cosplayers themselves... others are more or less trolls lying in wait for some criticism to pounce on.

Either way: they're here... and that tells me they're watching communities like this one.

So here's one for the businesses out there: a chance to find out what customers REALLY want from a cosplay storefront or commissioner.

Customers: here's your chance to give cosplay businesses a bit of well-intentioned advice.

Who knows? The exchange could even help to improve the services available to the English-speaking cosplay community.

One more bit of advice: keep the English simple and the answers short. Most of our suppliers and their reps are actually in East-Asia and don't speak English as a first language.

Questions:

1) What thing do you look for most in an online cosplay storefront or potential ebay-seller?

2) What turns you off most about cosplay businesses online?

3) How do you decide who to buy your costumes or wigs from?

4) Which is most important to you: low price, high quality, fast-arrival or good customer service? (you can only choose one)

5) Are you bothered by poor English on websites or in e-mails from businesses?

6) What businesses/sellers do you consider models of "good" cosplay shops?

7) What businesses/sellers do you consider "bad" cosplay shops?

8) Is there anything you'd like to see more of available for sale in the English-speaking cosplay community?

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Moonsong
daughter of evil

1) What thing do you look for most in an online cosplay storefront or potential ebay-seller?:

I look for someone who knows what they are doing and takes the time to give attention to every customer, not just putting an item on the page and ignoring customer requests.

2) What turns you off most about cosplay businesses online?:

Businesses who steal pictures. It is shady and unprofessional and makes it difficult to trust a seller. How do you know if their picture is the original?

3) How do you decide who to buy your costumes or wigs from?:

I look at feedback and whether or not the items are accurate and of good quality. Most people can tell when something is poorly made.

4) Which is most important to you: low price, high quality, fast-arrival or good customer service? (you can only choose one):

I'd have to say high quality. I'm willing to wait or pay extra for something that's going to look nice and last a while. For the most part, I don't need a ton of communication with a seller -unless- I have a problem.

5) Are you bothered by poor English on websites or in e-mails from businesses?:

No. As long as I can understand what they are saying, I'm alright. Not everyone's first language is English.

6) What businesses/sellers do you consider models of "good" cosplay shops?:

Cosplaywig on Ebay, and Cosworx/Cosplay.com itself. I've never had a problem with them.

7) What businesses/sellers do you consider "bad" cosplay shops?:

Mooncostumes.com. I purchased two costumes from there. The first was wonderful. The second was poorly made with cheap fabric, and they did not even offer any sort of consolation when I emailed them about it, other than "We'll tell our seamstresses." I did need the costume that week, so I unfortunately couldn't return it.

8) Is there anything you'd like to see more of available for sale in the English-speaking cosplay community?:

I can't think of anything right now. 5 in the morning. x_x

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

1) What thing do you look for most in an online cosplay storefront or potential ebay-seller?
Accuracy/completeness of costumes/wig etc. so there have to be a good range of pictures from different angle etc. While I realise that the actual product may not match the picture, it as good a start as you can get!

Lack of attention to detail or incompleteness - or if its hard to tell what the item actually is, as it badly described or few pictures. I want to have confidence that the item is what I expect it to be before I order it.

I have places I go regualrly as I have used them before - if they don't have what I want then I look for a wide range of alternatives and balance cost with accuracy and depending on how far off the event is delivery time. I might look for reviews if there are two choices that I am struggling to decide between, or if the website looks dodgy.

4) Which is most important to you: low price, high quality, fast-arrival or good customer service? (you can only choose one)
Quality.

I don't mind poor English in emails etc, HOWEVER if a site cannot spell a character or series name correct then this does matter; if they can't even do enough research to get the name right then how can you expect them to get the costume/wig etc right?

6) What businesses/sellers do you consider models of "good" cosplay shops?Cosplaymagic is pretty good in terms of being quick and the accuracy is pretty good, I hardly ever use something 'off-the-shelf' so I do expect to do a little bit of modification myself for better fit/my tastes etc
However, they seem reluctant to sell partial costumes or made-to-measure stuff for cotumes they already offer. This has lost them business from me before; for example the shirt for a costume I bought from them got stained and I wanted a replacement but did not need to trousers etc - but they would not sell it on its own, so I have gone elsewhere.

The stuff on ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam**** is not very accurate and my boyfriend had a problem with them; he made and order and they sent the wrong thing - they took ages to respond emails and did not apologise. They refused to refund or send the correct items until the wrong items had been returned at his expense even though it was clearly their mistake.

8) Is there anything you'd like to see more of available for sale in the English-speaking cosplay community?
Cosplay sites could offer more 'general' items such a binders/Japanense style socks - but this is not a major concern but it woudl be nice to be able to 1-stop-shop or save on shipping.
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
acostory
Draw!

Shipping details and options, acceptable English, easy to navigate store

Little or no shipping information, limited sizing information, no combined shipping

Whoever has the best quality costumes and wigs for the cheapest, and who has good reviews

High quality

When it is hard to understand yes. Mostly no.

Cosplaymagic, Cosmonde, FM-Anime, CosFu, EpicCosplay

Milanoo, only because everything is stock costumes

A better variety of costumes, not just the same one over and over again.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Oh, I like this idea. ^_^ Here goes:

Generally the first thing to catch my eye is the website layout. If it looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into the website, I know I'm less likely to get ripped off. General websites indicate a higher level of safety to me; eBay makes me a bit nervous unless I can read some stellar reviews or I've been personally recommended. I also look for sellers who use PayPal - that means that if I don't get my stuff, at least I get my money back.

The fact that so many seem first and foremost interested in banking on a growing hobby. Show some interest in quality, in customer service. I've worked in customer service, so I know the customer is NOT always right, but that doesn't mean you have to be a douche.

Oh, also - sites that suggest wigs for characters when the wig is very obviously the wrong color/length. If you don't want to do some research, then don't make suggestions.

Past experience.

Okay, okay, that's not always possible, of course. But I DO talk to people I meet at cons with beautiful costumes/wigs, and of course on these forums. Unless I'm making my own costume, I commission from the same commissioner every time. The website was lovely, the pictures CLEARLY show the workshop where the costumes are made, they post client cosplay pics that were sent in by the clients, and they give progress shots periodically.

As for wigs, I read up on the forums first. There are some amazing wig people on here, and when I didn't know a damn thing, they could at least steer me toward what fibers were best, what brands offered the thickest wigs, etc. At this point there are three sites that I use regularly, but at the moment I'm considering a wig from an Ebay seller that has been recently recommended.

Good quality. Period. I anticipate my costumes costing me, and I'm immediately suspicious of anything being offered at an unusually low price.

As for fast arrival, well, I commission, so I never expect anything too quickly (easier said than done, of course!). If I'm given an arrival date, I expect it on time, but never early.

And costumer service - I'm on the fence here. On the one hand, I don't want to be treated like dirt, BUT I don't always have issue with a commissioner/seller who doesn't get back to me immediately. Generally this is when I have an established rapport with the seller and he/she has never given me reason to doubt their word. In a seller you don't know, however, this of course could be worrisome.

Not necessarily. My commissioner is from Indonesia, so the English on her site isn't what you might expect from, say, a university English literature professor. However, the professionalism of the site is apparent despite the language barrier. That said, if the site looks like it popped up overnight and has slogans like, "Race are an important part of cosplay"- color me wary.

Oh, I'm supposed to name drop? I was avoiding it because I didn't want to shamelessly promote anyone, but...

cosplay1.com, Cosmonde, cosplay.com

Most of the mass produced, barely legible, carbon copy sites that pop up every few days using other people's photos and charging $30 for an Organization XIII coat or something. Not saying ALL mass-produced sites are like this, but this is where a lot of people lose their money if they aren't careful.

Well, at the moment I'm looking for a Japanese winter high school uniform (male), so that would be peaches and cream to find.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!

Last edited by Kell-chan : 01-14-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typo! XD
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Axelai
I'm Awesome

How accurate the costume is to the reference pictures. I don't care if i have to pay a little extra, so long as it looks good.

Stolen or low quality photos. I won't buy from them unless i can see every detail on the costume.

I check reviews online about them first, check the reference, then buy.

High quality.

Not really, as long as i can understand them.

CosplayMagic. Each photo is their own, and the prices are good. Only problem is they don't offer custom sizing.

Milanoo. They steal photos, their items never look like the references, etc.

Goggles.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
sandquillgw
My hair glows when I sing

Quality Products, Good pictures, and when people seem to know what they're talking about as far as the items they are selling are concerned.

Stealing pictures, unclear business policies, shoddy looking work

Reviews from other cosplayers is the main deciding factor

High Quality is the most important. I don't mind paying alot if the work is quality or waiting a little bit for shipping.

Bad english doesn't bother me so long as I can understand what the website/person is trying to get across.

epic cosplay, cosplay.com (make all my own costumes so I'm usually only buying shoes, wigs, and raw materials)

milanoo or anywhere else that steals photos or has poor quality costumes

I'd mainly be looking for high quality heat resist wigs in a large variety of styles/colors that would be easy for english speakers to purchase and have shipped to the USA. I would also be looking for any type of quality materials to make costumes out of or cosplay products you can only usually find in Japan.

Katsucon '15
Zenkaikon '15
Wizard World Philly '15

currently working on:

Bravest Warriors - Catbug
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - Eucliwood
Candyland - Princess Frostine

Plus repairs and improvements on numerous costumes!!

Last edited by sandquillgw : 01-14-2011 at 01:29 PM.
sandquillgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
doxiequeen1

Reliability, and honesty. If I am going to order from them I want to make sure I get what is pictured. And that I get it in general. So I suppose I look at a lot of reviews to make sure the seller is reliable.

Blurry/stolen photos and scams. Seems like almost every costumer through ebay has a pile of reviews about cheap costumes that 90% of people didn't even receive.

I generally browse around until I find what I'm looking for. I look at company's I know are reliable first but if they don't have exactly that I want I go to ebay until I find it. Then I look through reviews until I'm satisfied i'll get an Item I will be happy with.

Getting what I ordered.

It doesn't even have to be high quality, I just want to get what I ordered. And generally I don't order things that will be high quality since i'm cheap..and most of the time broke. Of course high quality is nice, but i'm not buying a $200 top hat..I'm buying a $16 one I don't expect it to be great quality, I just want it.

As long as I can understand them it doesn't really bother me. I think it's really un-professional if they are an English speaker and can't write a professional sounding email, but if they are from Japan or something it is understandable.

Honestly? Epiccosplay. I had a bad experience with them and they singled me out and wanted to know what happened so they could make sure I was 100% pleased with their company. They have been so nice to me and instead of blaming me for what happened they have tried to fix it. That is prefect customer service.

I really haven't been displeased with anything I've ordered, but I would say Milanoo since they take photos, even though I do know people that have gotten good costumes from them.

Eh, it doesn't really bother me ordering things from Japan I can get everything I need though the internet; though it would be nice to have more *good* wig brands available.
doxiequeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
marshmallowpie
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrling

Can't be bothered to answer it all, but for the last question, more colours for wigs. When the cosplay.com shopping had all those Japanese wigs, there were so many great colours. I always seem to want to cosplay characters with kind of odd hair colours, and it's hard to find a colour I like... :\
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
ELunamoon
Kore Demo Shitsuji DEATH

Good customer service and a review page with good reviews.

The hassle of knowing that there really no way to know for sure what you're getting and that you have to base your purchase off of a few pictures and a brief description.

Firstly I check cosplay.com of course. See if anyone else bought anything from where Im considering and see if they have anything to saw about it. Then I check what materials the costume/wig is made out of. I hate items for sale that have a description of an item that isn't helpful at all.

High quality. If its a great wig/costume, Ill save for as long as I have to to get it :\

I am extremely bothered by it, yes. I understand that not everyone knows every language but its really hard to keep my patience :\ But I dont get bothered enough by it where I would ignore the business altogether. I'd still consider, just not as much :\

None specifically

None specifically

Variety. I feel sometimes that to get a great wig, I have to gamble with the overseas sellers. Of course there are a few great acceptions but I would like more to consider.
Fran (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)-Izaya (Durarara!!)-Jasdero (D Gray Man)-Devit (D Gray Man)-Jasdevi(D Gray Man)-Jack Spicer (Xiaolin Showdown)-Deidara {Reluctantly...Disgusting mouth bastard} (Naruto)-Squalo (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)-Mello (Death Note)-Black Rock Shooter (Vocaloid PV)
ELunamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
firecloak

Original, unstolen photos. If I see the same photo in different ebay stores or websites in general (with different names), I will assume it's stolen.

Stolen photos

I look up the cheapest costumes on ebay, and then I look at the reviews. I also google their usernames. If the cheapest one looks shady, I move on to the second cheapest one. I don't use other websites besides ebay, because ebay has that guarantee thing that ensures you receive your item, whereas other websites don't.

Low price (assuming it doesn't look like crap)

No. I just need to be able to make out what they're saying.

icosoo (the only ebay cosplay store I used). The pictures they have really are pictures of their costumes, and the price is decent.

milanoo.com, stolen pictures and sometimes the costumes don't even fit.

Does pokemon gijinka cosplay count?
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Accurate cosplay costumes that are presented well. If I see the same picture of the same costume all over the internet at different shops (assuming the seller does not run more businesses) I'll skip over it assuming it's stolen.

Photographs that do not represent the actual costume you'll be ordering, such as the seller not being able to actually create what is presented either by cheating out on the fabric or using stolen photographs.

A lot of google searching and looking up reviews on the places I am interested in. Price obviously comes into play, if someones charming 60$ for a Party City wig I am sure as hell looking somewhere else.

Shamefully, low price. -shun-

Not unless it somehow seriously hinders our business transaction. Assuming the shop is in say, Japan (sake of argument), I am still at a Japanese business and feel like they don't 'owe' me anything by being fluent in my language.

The only place I've ordered a costume from and be happy with is Fan Plus Friend.(Alice for reference)

I recall when I first started cosplaying I googled 'cosplay shop' just not knowing what to look for and a website came up about a woman who get a god awful piece of crap with see through fabric, half unfolded bows, fabric that was hot glued down, and edges that where seriously unraveling. I can't seem to find it anymore though T__T' I believe it was a Sailor Mercury cosplay gone bad.

8)Is there anything you'd like to see more of available for sale in the English-speaking cosplay community?
Most of what is sold online to English-speakers is sort of generic anime series only. I find it incredibly difficult to find anything that's good quality but not from Naruto or Vocaloid. I've found like..2 websites that sell Umineko cosplays and are both kind of crap. The range of what's available versus a Japanese store is like...practically nothing. So unless you're willing to completely commission a whole costume, or settle for something lesser quality...
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

WHEN THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE COSTUME IS FOR. Nothing makes me hit the "X" faster than someone putting down the wrong name for a costume. If you don't even know the name of the character, how can I expect you to even have the costume right???

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote