Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Your greatest fears

What was your greatest fear as a child?

What is your greatest fear as an adult?

EXPOSE YOUR WEAKNESSES.

And don't give me generic crap, like "monsters under the bed" or "this girl/boy will reject me" or "bullies, sadface". I want real fears here, people. Specific, odd, and unique to you. Actually, the weirder the better! I DEMAND SENSATIONALISM. None of this bland bullshit, and that you have no fears as an adult. That is so not true, and we all know it.

Bonus points for bridging your childhood fears with your adult fears for maximum cheese factor - wait, I mean "revelations."

I will start.

As a child, I was horribly afraid of a scene from The Last Starfighter. It is a scene where an alien machine (?) grows in the shape of the hero, who is now fighting in space. But this machine being is incubating in his bed, and they pull back the cover to reveal a horribly disfigured growing mutant being. I remember at night being very afraid to peel back the covers of the bed my mother made me make in the morning, in fear I would see this creature looking at me. Forget about the monster UNDER the bed. I was afraid of the one potentially IN it. (High five for anyone who knows this scene! ....anybody! ....leaving me hanging, here!)

As an adult, my greatest fear is letting down my parents. They are so sweet. So innocent. So undeserving of their nice daughter shaving her head, dressing in skimpy outfits and Nazi uniforms and whatnot. And yet, they are so proud of me. They scour the internets finding videos and pictures of me, which I go out of my way to avoid. Mind you, I am a full-sized, 1:1 ratio adult. And yet this fear still grips me, that they are somehow feigning their approval. ...I think they secretly are. Sorry, mom and dad. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer. But I can make a dang convincing costume of one!

Last edited by Jia Jem : 01-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

...actually, negate that. I'm really afraid no one will answer in this thread and I will have just revealed my deepest darkest secrets to the internet. THREAD DELETED IN 3... 2... 1...
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Aearon

Hmmm.... As a child, I was afraid of heights. Nothing really scared me in a movie or anything like that as far as I remember.

As an adult... I can't think of anything that I'm really afraid of tbh.
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Kildread
I can fix it!

People in all-black zentai suits covering their entire bodies.

It used to be only 'vaguely humanoid forms of a uniform black color', but I've discovered what zentai suits are since then, so that's it.

There was a program passing on TV when I was SO VERY YOUNG --- I don't even remember the title, the purpose, or what it was about, I only remember one scene, lots of black humanoid forms converging on teenagers.

To this day, it still left a mark on my weak little mind.

Last edited by Kildread : 01-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
CDF_Vagabond

When I was a kid I had a extreme fear of Roller Coasters, now that I am a adult I don't have that fear anymore.
CDF_Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Yukikittie

My fear when I was a little kid was sharks. I couldn't see videos of them, or pictures without freaking out and crying.
My greatest fear today is abandonment. I'm deadly afraid that everyone I love will leave me in some way and I'll be all alone.
Although sharks do still scare the shit out of me.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

As a child I was terrified of one specific mirror in my house, it always gave me an eerie feeling.

As an adult, my greatest fear is forgetting to buy beer before the corner store closes.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

I suddenly have a 3rd fear... that of appearing long-winded. Thanks, guys!

Also, the black zentai suit thing scares me. That is legit right there. And the beer.

Seriously though. Mirrors? Roller coasters? Heights? *shakes head*

Last edited by Jia Jem : 01-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Seriously though. Mirrors? Roller coasters? Heights? *shakes head*
They did not input any thought in replying to this topic!
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
That is legit right there. And the beer.
Considering you drank all of mine, today my fear is realized.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

My greatest childhood fear was morlocks. Yeah, like from The Time Machine; thanks a lot, Wishbone >__>. I thought they were under my bed, and became a master of jumping from the doorway of my room to the bed without touching the floor lest they

As an adult, my greatest fear is that I'll never get anything better than an Honorable Mention for cosplay. Okay, no, I'm lying. My greatest fear is that I will never have a real job. I'm 20 years old and I've never been able to get one. I wasn't allowed to have a job in high school, the job market crashed the year I started college, and I'm in NYC, where there will always be someone more qualified than you in your field. I have a mortal terror that I will reach 30 or something and I'll have a degree from a mediocre school and no job experience and nobody will want me and THERE WILL BE NO ARMOR PROJECTS EVER AGAIN D:

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Kildread
I can fix it!

Let me contribute a second one: Needles.

I can handle getting a blood sample, but it drives my vitals up the wall. SHows involving needles also freak the hell out of me. I barely remember the Escaflowne movie.
Except the whole thing about getting strapped to that mech. Shivers, right there.

Last edited by Kildread : 01-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
I thought they were under my bed, and became a master of jumping from the doorway of my room to the bed without touching the floor lest they
I really like how you left this sentence here. As is typical with many of the great horror movies, what they leave out is frequently more terrifying than what they could have put in. I am afraid. (Although The Time Machine isn't a horror movie. ...now it is.)
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
SourCherryTwist
Wannaflywindy

Vacuum Cleaners. to this day they scare the shit outta me. and Im 20 years old. /loser

AC Tifa, Fairy rikku, Thief Rikku, Lenne
SourCherryTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourCherryTwist View Post
Vacuum Cleaners. to this day they scare the shit outta me. and Im 20 years old. /loser
I... hope you have hardwood floors to sweep.

NEEDLES.

HERE IS ANOTHER FEAR.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAS KEPT ME AWAY FROM DRUGS MY ENTIRE LIFE.

THIS MOVIE. TOMMY. AND TINA TURNER.

It would seriously make me cry as a kid to think that someone would FORCE me to shoot up. Like, stick a needle in me and the next day I would be craving heroin. Thanks, Tommy!