Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Magesticbrat01

Feathers on a dress.

Do I get a boa and pluck it some, then sew or glue it? OR Would it be better to sew or glue individual feathers. I'm making Yuna's Wedding dress and just wondering what would look best? I have never sewn feathers onto anything before, and so if sewing is the route to go, how does one go about sewing feathers onto a dress? I was just going to use hot glue, but would that ruin the fabric?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/...ec1d04fbdd.jpg individual feather reference picture

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=310227553015 boa reference picture
Magesticbrat01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Strongly recommend not using hot glue. It can jack up your fabric. As wonderful as hot glue is, it shouldn't be used on everything. lol Though! on many natural fiber fabrics, I've found that if you do have a hot glue accident, you can throw your fabric into the freezer for a few hours and peel off the glue. But, back to the topic.

Here are a few links that should help:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=3356475

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...feather-fringe

For Yuna's dress, personally I'd go with sewing them to the garment. It doesn't take very long and it'll have a much more pleasing effect over glue, which can get messy and may show if you make any mistakes. Unfortunately with some glues, once it's on it can be difficult, or impossible, to get off. So if you make a mistake, that glue spot will stay there and annoy the crap out of you. lol Sewing feathers isn't as bad as it sounds. As long as you secure the shaft of the feather to the dress, it'll stick around.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Magesticbrat01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifaia View Post
Strongly recommend not using hot glue. It can jack up your fabric. As wonderful as hot glue is, it shouldn't be used on everything. lol Though! on many natural fiber fabrics, I've found that if you do have a hot glue accident, you can throw your fabric into the freezer for a few hours and peel off the glue. But, back to the topic.

Here are a few links that should help:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=3356475

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...feather-fringe

For Yuna's dress, personally I'd go with sewing them to the garment. It doesn't take very long and it'll have a much more pleasing effect over glue, which can get messy and may show if you make any mistakes. Unfortunately with some glues, once it's on it can be difficult, or impossible, to get off. So if you make a mistake, that glue spot will stay there and annoy the crap out of you. lol Sewing feathers isn't as bad as it sounds. As long as you secure the shaft of the feather to the dress, it'll stick around.
Thank You so much for these wonderful tips! The Threadsmagazine.com really helped. Made me think about things that I wouldn't have thought about, such as washing.
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Unless you're buying high-quality feather boas, I wouldn't use the feathers from them - and at that point it's working out more expensive anyway. Cheap feather boas are often badly dyed and have an awful lot of 'fluff', which makes life difficult for you, as well as dry and damaged quills that will crack and split apart very easily. You can buy feathers in bulk - or if you live in the countryside, find someone who keeps (And preferably eats - you want fresh feathers, not ones that've dropped out on their own, generally speaking) geese or white ducks and look into how to wash and treat feathers properly.

I've only covered a surface with feathers once (Usually I just get requests for hats, headdresses and fans, but someone wanted a Dita von Teese style bodice!) but what I did was to thread the quill of the feather through fine tulle, sew it into place and secure that with a dab of fabric glue on a cocktail stick. Took forever and the lining has to be un-tacked and washed separately every time she wears it, but it certainly seems to be robust and might also work for trimming Yuna's skirts.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Lydialulu
lydialulu

i would buy them in bulk from rainbowfeatherco.com the turkey rounds, you'll have to trim them though, and actually i suggest taking long pieces of white ribbon, and hot gluing the feathers into place on the ribbon, then baste the ribbon onto the edges of the dress. Trust me, hand sewing feathers is a pain and isnt as secure, gluing is what i did for my yuna.

when you want to wash it, just snip off the basted stitches, then after baste it back on, its really not all that much trouble

Margaery Tyrell (intro dress)

Elsa (Frozen) ?

Lydialulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Magesticbrat01

After looking at Threadsmagazine.com, I don't want a permanent/semi-permanent attachment. I would like to be able to detach it somehow with out redoing it. I.E. putting the feathers on elastic or ribbon then attaching the strand by hooks, (like what you find on a bra) or by velcro. That way I can do a clan removal of the feathers to wash the garment.

Thanks for the website rainbowfeatherco.com. This really helps!!!

Last edited by Magesticbrat01 : 01-19-2011 at 04:10 PM.