Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Seikari_Love

BJD's at cons?

I've seen some people take their BJD's to conventions with them and I was wondering if there was anyone here that does it. I have a PukiPuki from DollFairyLand and I was going to take it to a convention with me this week end but she's so tiny and the hands and feet are magnetic, so easy to lose ;_; Any one have tips to keep track of her while I'm there?
Yuffie Kisaragi: 40%
Next con: Megacon
Seikari_Love is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Yukikittie

I know people who do, they carry them with them. But I can't give out any helpful tips. ^^'
When I first read this title I was like "Oh my go-" then I saw the D and I was rest assured.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
I know people who do, they carry them with them. But I can't give out any helpful tips. ^^'
When I first read this title I was like "Oh my go-" then I saw the D and I was rest assured.
Yeah, me too. *whew!*

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I usually take a BJD or 2 of mine when I go to a con. I haven't been to one since I got a Pukipuki a few months ago, but at the next con I go to, he's probably going to stay home, as I'd be afraid of him losing parts, or losing him altogether!

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Seikari_Love

I've already had to replace the poor guy's left hand twice, luckily it's not THAT expensive. I thought about putting him in a long outfit and leaving the hands and feet at home where they won't get lost but other then that I'm lost.
Yuffie Kisaragi: 40%
Next con: Megacon
Seikari_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

I think the best advice is don't be distracted. If you carry your doll in public, aim to go to doll meet-ups/photoshoots/panels and do simply that, rather than trying to juggle shopping, cosplaying or staffing at the same time.
I used to bring mine along a few times some years ago, but then I was getting way too nervous to be casually toting him about when he costs more and is more delicate than my Macbook. O_o
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~

I'm helping run the BJD panel at Kitacon this year. We'll not be having a 'doll table' that people can leave them on or anything like that as it's just asking for dolls to go missing. I wouldn't even recommend carrying them around. To me there's a difference between a doll meet and a convention. We're doing the panel because we were asked to show people how to do basic doll maintenance. We're bringing two dolls and once we're done with the panel, they're going to be stored somewhere safe and preferably locked.

A crowded convention hall is asking for a chipped face-up or broken finger at the least.
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
SailorEarth
I have many skills

I take mine to conventions and I've never had any mishaps yet, but I usually only break them out when I'm on my way to a BJD meet and even then they're normally in their carrying case until I get to the meet room. I did make a Mokona costume for my SD Nono to go with my Fai costume and toted her around with the staff for hours on end. I would not recommend this, lol. She's a pretty heavy girl and it got uncomfortable in a hurry. My arm was sore for a week.

Since yours has parts that are easily lost I'd say if you need to carry her around with you make her a cute little padded pouch to put her in so if anything falls off the pouch should catch it. You could make it so her head and shoulders could poke out of the top if you want her to be visible.

Last edited by SailorEarth : 01-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.
SailorEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Yeah, me too. *whew!*
Me THRICE.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Kikuka
New Kind of Crazy

I have two BJDs, a DOT girl and a MNF girl, and both have frequented cons with me. ^_^

I've even dropped my MNF girl's magnetic hand at Katsu once. That was an event. I freaked for a moment and told my group "Don't move! I lost a hand!" -- Luckily they knew what I was talking about and it was easy to find the dropped limb. ^^;

Though, the only days that I bring my girls along are days that I know I'll be attending a doll meet-up. On less crowded days and in less crowded areas sometimes I'll walk around with my MNF in hand, but I don't recommend it on busy days/in busy areas. It's just asking for trouble.

Future Cosplay
Fuu (Goddess Gown, Final Armor, Kimono) - Magic Knight Rayearth // Kobato - CLAMP no Kiseki Chess Queen // Sakura (Country of Shura) - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles //
2015 Con Plans
Katsucon, Genericon
Panels: Anime Amazons, CLAMPs Multiverse, and Let's Talk Swords: Problematic Props and Annoying Armor
Kikuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

I used to LOVE going to the BJD meet-ups (I started doing that long before I started cosplaying, actually) and I have to say, it tends to be the smaller dolls that suffer. Rowan, my Elf Ducan, has gone all over the country with nary a scratch but I've seen at least three smaller-than-MSD dolls lose magnetic parts or come out with broken fingers and heard of more. If her hands and feet aren't VERY secure, you're going to have to really look after her.

I love bringing my dolls but I can't juggle the costume AND the doll - I can chuck my bags on the floor, but I need someone who I trust to hold the doll without losing the wig or damaging their costume, and I end up carrying too much to want to add another 2-3kg of doll on one arm. I definitely prefer going to non-cosplay events with a doll, even if the doll convention people thought we were weird too, now that the UK doll community is not what it was. Back when there was a really good UK forum and we'd have a meet-up or a table, it wasn't a problem for me to say "Keep an eye on Miryu and Columbia, I'm going to browse the dealer's room for half an hour" because we were such a tight-knit community, but now-a-days that's just not possible.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Apsara
all around bum..

That was my exact fear about tinies. I only want 65cms and taller dolls because I take mine everywhere. He's a cream-white Soom, and 70cms in his boots and wigs so I bring a carrier bag. He sits in it. If anything falls off of him, it falls into the bag.

I also have a list of everything he's wearing. I'm used to making lists so I always consult my various pieces of paper. I check every minute on him and I'm literally at his feet, in eyesight. I never turn my back on him. Before leaving I check my list to account for everything.

Seeking Cosplayer Post: Adekan and Five Star Stories for Aki-con on Oct. 7th - 9th, 2011
Apsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

I've seen people do it. I, personally, would never dare. If any of my BJD's got lost or stolen I would cry.
In the works: Sailor Jupiter | Asuna, Sword Art Online | Rapunzel, Tangled

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
.....I don't get it.......

EDIT: Oooooh. Is it sad that I had to google that?
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
Because we were such a tight-knit community, but now-a-days that's just not possible.
I never found this to be true, even though I got into the doll hobby before the implosion. I may have known all the faces, but I wouldn't have trusted them with my doll. Far too much two-facedness in the doll community in general for that. Most of the 'big names' are on 'certain forums' and it just led to drama. I keep the doll community at an arm's length, because I just don't know what to make of them.
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote