Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 10-20-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
Tea-chan
Angry little girl.

Suffering for your work..

Hehe. This is a topic all of us should know well.

Horror stories, anyone?

My own experience? Well, my first costume was a costume my grandmother made for me. It was pretty(though, it was innaccurate, I need to alter several parts of it), but, the problem was, I used a LOT of safety pins to keep it together.

The waistband/cummerbund THING kept popping the safety pins(what a way to be motivated to diet. >_>), and whenever that happened, I had to catch the two layers of skirt.. It was a catastrophe.

That, and the ears were massive. Ow.

So, yeah. Anyone else have any stories about what they've had to deal with?
i am the angel
of your destruction"

http://demon-faerie.net/acid/
Tea-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2002, 01:58 PM   #2
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Here's my horror story:

I was working on the power key staff for my Ifurita costume. Most of the components had to be handmade out of craft and styrofoam, which I painted with metallic acrylic paint. I had wanted to put a hard, clear coating over everything, but I used the wrong kind of varnish --A varnish meant for ceramic paint, not acrylic. Imagine my horror when it dried and left a patchwork of hairline cracks in the surface of the acrylic paint.

So now, to get a smooth surface, I have to scrape off all the paint somehow or remake all the staff components from scratch. Just goes to show you: you should pay just as close attention to the type of sealant, shellac, or varnish you're using as you do to the type of paint you're using. Let this be a lesson to you, kiddies..

Oop. Cats are making a big racket in the other room... better go see what they're up to...

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
Tea-chan
Angry little girl.

Oh my goodness. O_O!; That had to *suck*...

being an artist myself.. ^^;; I'm quite, quite meticulous when looking at details. Heheh. But, wow.. owch.. ;_;
i am the angel
of your destruction"

Unread 10-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Celine
Remember me?

I have tons of horror stories, but none are quite as fresh in my mind as this... last night, I was working on the costume I'm making for my twin sister (Celes cg-style from FF6), and the pants are skin-tight. She's approximately the same size as I am, so I tried them on to see how they fit. Since they were way too loose, I put them on inside out and pinned them to a better fit while wearing them. Then, when I was taking them off, one of the pins snagged on my skin and I have about a 6-inch cut down the side of my leg. ouch. -_- Not to mention, my friend who was trying to help ended up completely destroying the vest so I have to re-make it.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

Merle: Dealing with the short-ness of the dress and the abundance of air conditioning. As Tea-chan can attest to, I was a shivering little wad of Aeva. My makeup also smeared a lot the first time I wore it, so I just glued black fabric on me for stripes the next time. ....and the tip of my tail kept coming apart. ;.;

Sumomo: The hat was bitchingly heavy, weighing in at over 7 pounds. And I don't feel like going intot the glue issue yet again.

Shuichi: Wearing 5" boots for 12+ hours with thin socks and walking all over a con and many many blocks in NYC is QUITE painful. Very much ow. Otherwise, that costume is very comfy. ^^
....but I complain a lot.
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Oh dear, Amethyst Angel, that's terrible! ()O_O()

I have nothing that terrible that comes to mind and has not already been previously bitched about on another thread.

But, there WAS this time (grandpa boring grandchildren mode) I was hand sewing the boots for my Mononoke Hime costumes and started to get really into the the movie I was watching. About and hour later I look down at the boot, and to my horror I had sewed it to my shirt! I had to go back and rip all the seams and seperate myself from the boot. Now whenever sewing in front of the tube I have a clip board between myself and the project.
Unread 10-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
Tea-chan
Angry little girl.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
Oh dear, Amethyst Angel, that's terrible! ()O_O()

I have nothing that terrible that comes to mind and has not already been previously bitched about on another thread.

But, there WAS this time (grandpa boring grandchildren mode) I was hand sewing the boots for my Mononoke Hime costumes and started to get really into the the movie I was watching. About and hour later I look down at the boot, and to my horror I had sewed it to my shirt! I had to go back and rip all the seams and seperate myself from the boot. Now whenever sewing in front of the tube I have a clip board between myself and the project.
That's happened to me before. Except I don't watch TV. X3 It was when I was looking through forums, and.. yeah. I messed it up. Bad. XD
i am the angel
of your destruction"

Unread 10-20-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
Celine
Remember me?

Haha, I've sewed many things to my clothing, the pattern, other pieces of fabric, etc... and not always handsewing, either! I'm a menace with the machine. It's frightening. ^^
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:51 PM   #9
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Then, when I was taking them off, one of the pins snagged on my skin and I have about a 6-inch cut down the side of my leg. ouch. -_- Not to mention, my friend who was trying to help ended up completely destroying the vest so I have to re-make it.

Oh yeah. I've done the ol' "try on an article of clothing while forgetting there's a needle still in it" bit. Yeouch! What I also hate is sewing waistbands for large skirts with lots of fabric, and after finishing off the waistband, finding I still have a pin or two that I forgot to remove trapped in the fabric somewhere... Ouchie. (I guess I'm just not very detail-oriented, am I?)

Amethyst's Prop Blog
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:53 PM   #10
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

i have a continuing curse.... its never ending horror... i have this really bad habit of gluing pieces of my costumes to myself and clothing with either fabric glue or hot glue... and it always happens. ><
real fun is when i dont notice it right away and have a piece of some stray fabric stuck to me and i'm walking around the dorm.
i usually manage to catch it before the world notices, but its bad enough. ><

my running issue comes with costumes that deal with cleavage...
cause well, uh... i have the chest to make the costumes that call for it BUT making a costume that doesnt show TOO much is...well...complicated... so needless to say, with my beatrix costume there was endless trial and error.
so there is the best horror story i can think of at the moment, getting beatrix to sit just right ^^;;;;
so yeah, then continuouslt being paranoid that too much is showing caused me much stress with that -.-;;;
Jibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #11
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I *always* pick out fabric that has no visible front or back side. So I always sew things the wrong way. And I'm always losing the seam ripper, so I have to go hunting for that before I can continue. I hate it >.<.

Tea-chan, don't get me started on having your grandmother make you a costume. ::has horror stories about a ghetto Jupiter costume >.<::

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #12
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Heh. All these disaster stories remind me on an article I read recently at OMG Jeremy's website:

http://www.omgjeremy.com/cosplay.html

Read this, and you'll learn the magical phrase to say to people when you screw up and accidentally hot glue your head to the shoulder of your costume;

"It's supposed to look that way!"

Amethyst's Prop Blog
Unread 10-20-2002, 09:39 PM   #13
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

There's nothing worse than to lay out a nicely pressed and clean piece of fabric that you are gonna cut up and then have a catpop in through the catflap and lay mud over your work and then proceed to rest on the fabric in question, maybe even clean itself and in doing getting hair all over it!! Never turn your back on the cat....

And sticky back velcro is my bane!!! The velcro part holds perfectly but the sticky back doesn't!! End up having to sew that tooo!!!! and while bringing out an accessory from storage that was basically a belt with a velcro strip stuck to it so that I couldstick my fake bullets to it...I had noticed that the sticky velcro had 'slipped'...as in still stuck to the surface but left a slimy trail of stickiness where it had slid around...

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 09:40 PM   #14
Tea-chan
Angry little girl.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenshi

Tea-chan, don't get me started on having your grandmother make you a costume. ::has horror stories about a ghetto Jupiter costume >.<::
I'm listening. :P

But really. My grandmother is a GREAT seamstress, but I don't know. It seems you just have to do it yourself if you want it perfect, you know? X_@ It's frustrating.
i am the angel
of your destruction"

Unread 10-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #15
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

Try this: I had made the boots for my Puchiko costume by getting slippers and sewing the boot covers onto them. Sounds great, right? Well, my friends and I decided it was a GREAT idea to walk around to anime shops in Vancouver in costume! .... Uhhh.... Baka? I ended up KILLING my feet, which has NO support at all! When I got home (I was very happy about that), I sat down for a while and when I tried to get up, my ankles felt like they were grinding against bone and I collasped. I couldn't walk on my own for a few hours. HURT LIKE HELL!

Then when I was doing my Celena costume, I was working with velcro when it decided to be evil and RIP OFF the skin around one of my nails. OUCH! It was bleeding and I got blood on my boot covers pattern. Now the pattern, by the blood, say "I hate velcro".

Then with my Dilandau costume.... Oh boy, thank god I was home alone... I stepped on a pin sticking out from a peice of the costume. It hurt, made me jump, slamming my arm onto the door and falling down. My foot hurt for a while after that... My arm as well.... >_<!!!!!!!
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote