Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 10-20-2002, 10:11 PM   #16
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

I dont have any storys that bad, but I have had my fair share of steping on sray pins, and hot glueing my hand to things...
this is not really a horror story more like eveyone point and lol at Nyoko...
it was days before Nekocon FLASH and I still had not finished my chichiri staff head so I sat in school and sanded it in all my classes, then when trying to pay attention to the teacher and sand that stuped thing I started to sand my hand, and I did to even notice till I sanded it tell it bleed a bit...
ok nows when you all can lol at me and my stupidaty...

Last edited by Nyoko : 10-21-2002 at 02:44 PM.
Nyoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2002, 10:35 PM   #17
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

There's nothing worse than to lay out a nicely pressed and clean piece of fabric that you are gonna cut up and then have a catpop in through the catflap and lay mud over your work and then proceed to rest on the fabric in question, maybe even clean itself and in doing getting hair all over it!! Never turn your back on the cat....

Oh yes! I forgot The cats! Is there a reason those critters are drawn to sit on fabric while you've got it laid out on the floor and are trying to cut it? Oy. (And it doesn't help to try and toss a scrap piece of fabric on the floor for them to play with. No. They only want to roll around on the piece that YOU'RE working on...)

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 10:37 PM   #18
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

Quote:
Oh yes! I forgot The cats! Is there a reason those critters are drawn to sit on fabric while you've got it laid out on the floor and are trying to cut it? Oy. (And it doesn't help to try and toss a scrap piece of fabric on the floor for them to play with. No. They only want to roll around on the piece that YOU'RE working on...)
Happens to me all of the time. My cat doesn't like to play much, but whenever I lay out fabric, she sees it as her duty to attack it. ^^;;;;
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 10:54 PM   #19
Celine
Remember me?

Cats!! AGH! My cat loves to do that sort of stuff... he goes and gets his paws wet and then walks on velvet! -_- Argh!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 02:43 PM   #20
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

actully my cat does not do that, its my dog, she just loves to sleep on the peace that I am sewing or cutting...
Unread 10-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #21
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

Tania - OUCH! I have my fair share of pin-sticking stories but nothing THAT bad! Although I have stuck myself with either pins or needles in pretty much every major part of my body ^^;;

Yah, that's about as bad as my disasters get...I am used to stabbing myself with needles while hand-sewing stuff, though, 'cause I've been doing troll doll clothing and cross stitch and stuff since elementary school...when one is very young with not-so-wonderful hand-eye coordination, one learns to live with a bit of stabbing ^_^v

Although, I have ripped the sleeves out of a dress I'm doing for next A-kon SEVERAL times because I suck at sewing still and I can't figure out how to attatch them so that I can lift my arms without...ah...showing off what's underneath it (well, I WILL be wearing short-shorts underneath, but yeah, it IS that short *L*)
And arm-lifting is a necessity in parapara, which I will be DOING in that dress, so it's kinda important *L*
Unread 10-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #22
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

oh the horror!!!

I was making a plugsuit for someone and there was a lot of hand sewing. I ended up sewing the sleeve to myself. Not to my clothes. TO MYSELF.

Another time I was making something that needed a form so I used chicken wire. I stepped on the chicken wire and bout 3 ends stuck 1.5" into my foot. So I grimaced and pulled it out.

I wore Jun Jun to JapanFest, and Jun Jun has those skin tight pants. Well the back seam ripped. Joyous day. Luckly Lindze had ONE safety pin to hold it somewhat in place.

7.5" stillettos + 3 blocks to convention center = bloody feet all day

At A-kon 13 I was that fluffy cloud persona thing. That thing dried me like a prune so I went into the bar to get a drink and cool off. I took off the mask only. I turn around....and yup, there's Duel Jewel staring at me. They all turn away except for Yuya. Meanwhile, I'm as read as my hearts. So Im just like, "Heh...hi ^^;" and Yuya goes, "Che." It was SO embarassing.

At Otakon I had a hat with a lot of big feathers, plus the above mentioned 7.5" shoes. Well, the top of the hat hit a lot of doors. So once when it hit it it knocked the hat off so it was hanging off my head. No one told me so I walked around for 10 mins with my hat dangling from my wig. People even took pics of me like that!!

I have one costume that's a bikini top, and I used tape to keep it in place, but it didn't work too well. I definatly flashed someone... my roommate to be exact.
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 07:50 PM   #23
Nine
The busty one!

Hikaru Tsuki - Don't blame me for wanting to walk around Vancouver! lol

Um.. I once ripped a chunck of my skin off my finger, using the sewing machine when I was sewing one of my earlier costumes. ^^;

OH YEAH! This one is funny.

I had to rush my Felicia costume to get finished intime for AE, so I didn't sew a zipper in the crotch of the body suit. I wore the costume for X amount of hours, and I really had to go to the washroom. Now, the walk from the con area and the townhouses was 10 minutes, and it was one of the hottest days of the year... my feet were aching so much, and every 30 seconds I was getting stopped for pictures. -_-;; I had to go to the washroom REALLY bad, because I was holding it for a long time before I decided to make the trek back to the townhouse. It took me 30+ minutes to get to the townhouse, so I could change then go to the washroom. It was a horrible experience. XD

Last edited by Nine : 08-26-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #24
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

My stupid Son-Goku limiter was made to fit my forehead ,exactly. Its basically a headband.. the front is model magic and the back is elastic.

When I tried it on for a few minutes it was fine.
But when you're wearing it at the con all day..it starts to hurt. Badly. I had a KILLER headache from the thing ,but didn't want to take it off since Goku isn't goku without the limiter.

Its a day after the con there is a big headband shaped bruise across my forehead -_-;

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 04:21 AM   #25
sakura yuna
AX Staff Member

Hmmmm...I got something...let's see now...ah yes, here we are:

Ky Kiske:
Yes, I attempted this costume...and screwed it up so bad I dun wanna work on it anymore...I was sewing it on my machine and thought it would come out straight right? nope, didn't turn out the way I wanted it to...it came out all crooked...so I had to take the seams out with scissors...because I could not find my seam ripper!!! >,< then I accidently sewed one part of the collar too close together can't fix that...so arghhhh...it's definately on hold!

Black Mage Yuna:
I am HOPING...to get this right...but did I? not really...first off I made the first mistake of cutting the back too low...and then after that I criss crossed it the wrong way! damn it now I gotta go back and fix the damn thing!!!!

Sewing Machine:
While it was going my finger got in the way...and took a bruising from the foot coming down onto my finger...but it wasn't the foot itself but the screw that held the foot in place!!

Miscellaneous:
Oh yeah...I too stabbed myself in the foot with a hand sewing needle...the same thing happened with my finger...I was sewing part of my yuna sleeves and then I went a little too far over and slit the side of my finger open...it burned then it just hurt...and was bleedy pretty bad....I went though about 4-5 band aids that day.... >,<

"I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and the American Cosplayer." -Superman (1980)
"I find your lack of Cosplay disturbing." -Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
sakura yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:06 AM   #26
scandia
Overachiever

I once lost my small sewing scissors- the thread-cutting ones. Guess how I found them? I sat on the couch and felt this stabbing pain on my thigh. It was the scissors! I ran to the pharmacy and got Neosporin in order to avoid tetanus. Nothing bad happened, thank goodness.

I was pinning the Hikaru bow to the collar of my shirt with a safety pin and pricked myself and drew blood.

This one is not directly related to the costume construction. But I was eating lunch before JACON 2002 Friday. I decided to skip in the parking lot like I often do (shows you how eccentric I am), and I trip and fall! I was wearing ballet flats instead of Mary Janes or lace-up shoes, so the shoe slipped out and thus I lost footing. I scraped my knee and hurt my toes. I did put on a band-aid, but before that I just wrapped a handkerchief around my knee to stop the bleeding. Not very in-character for Michiru Kaioh.

None of my costumes per se have been particularly masochistic. Most of the pain involves: shoes with heels too high, wings left on for too long, or costumes that do not allow me to wear proper support for my back and chest.
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:45 AM   #27
Midknight
Agent X

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeva
Happens to me all of the time. My cat doesn't like to play much, but whenever I lay out fabric, she sees it as her duty to attack it. ^^;;;;

My cats love to help me with my projects... One likes to lay on the ironing board and leave little black hairs all over it... Not a good thing if you are making a white costume. She also enjoys running across and snagging fabric I have layed out on a large cutting board on the floor. And she loves diving under and shreading patterns.

The other one doesn't play much, but he got really creative one time. I was making a poofy red taffeta skirt for a convention. He decided to attack the fabric I was using, so I quickly tossed him some of the excess fabric that I had already cut off. He played with that a while and got all rolled up in it... I had to take a picture. So for your viewing pleasure, I've stuck it in my gallery. I present, Fashion Kitty: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=1

As well as a picture of the skirt:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=1

I've had other, less feline, costuming incidents, such as reaching in my sewing bag to pull out the scissors, only to find they've been turned around and stabbing myself with them. As well as the time I was repairing my clear plastic Miyu sandals so I could use them at this last Otakon. One of the straps had torn off and I needed to take off the metal clamp that held the plastic strap to the bottom of the shoe (the strap was threaded through to the underside, then clamped so it wouldn't pull back through. It tore above the clamp, right at the base of the top of the shoe... yay cheap shoes). I was using two vary narrow pairs of needle nose plyers to pry the clamp off of the piece of the strap that was still attached to it. I was trying to be very careful and I don't exactly know how it happend, but the pair of plyers that were in my right hand went left, and the plyers that were in my left hand went right, and I ended up stabbing each hand with the other set of plyers, which wasn't fun. I felt pretty stupid. I still have a couple of scars from this.... Ask me and I'll show them to you at BAAF! LOL!

Wow... that was a long post... o.0
Midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:59 AM   #28
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Hey. That would have been this weekend at AnimeIowa.

In Ashram and Pirotase, neither Nemo nor I could sit down. He had on a full suit of armor, head makeup and a long black wig. Playdoh sweat factory!!!

And me? 4" heels, full body makeup from the waist up, a wig all the way down to my ankles, and a corset.

Well, we were in the suits for 4 hours, most of which was backstage waiting. It took 3 hours to get into and out of the suits. After the contest we were so trashed we didn't want to stay around for photos.

I used to think that spectacular suits were only for stage. Now I've revised my thinking entirely. Comfortable non-impressive suits are for stage. Big bad suits are for the halls, where you can control how long you're in them, and you aren't at the whims of the cosplay's time constraints.

From the heart of blisterville, I salute you!

Grandis
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #29
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

One time I was laying down on my floor for some reason or another, and when I sat up my arm felt funny.
Probably because there was a pin in my elbow all the way up to the little knob. So I sat there and pulled it out and my arm when completely numb for a few minutes.. I bet it was some sort of acupuncture point <.<

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM   #30
BishiJZ

I don't have any really horrible costume stories, but for A-kon 13 I went as Zidane and my grandmother made the pants for me. She did a pretty good job, the sides stuck out and everything (although they kept flapping with sudden movements x.x). Anyway, I realized fairly quickly that i had a problem. My tail was sewn into the back of my pants and had wire running through the middle so that it'd stay rigid and look like it had muscle. Well, for cosplay I sat down. . and was horribly poked by the wire in my tail XD I had to sit like that for about three hours, shifting constantly because this thing was poking me in the butt. Finally I just slouched down and hoped no one noticed.
BishiJZ is offline   Reply With Quote