Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
D_Bat

Womens sizing?? I need help cause i can't figure it out

Well...... I started looking for some skirt, coats, and boots but I don't really know what sizes I can fit into. All my pants i pretty much wear at the hips and my hips are 32". I am assuming my waist is about 28/30 or so. I dunno how much smaller my waist is than my hips, i haven't ever measured it.

So yea........ How does this skirt sizing go and what's up with the petite, juniors and all that stuff. I don't get it. So some places go by S, M, L and others go by 1,2,3,4,5,6.... etc. If a girl could help me out here. I think I am a Mediom/Large and around a size 6/7.

As for the coats. I am looking for a trench coat. They go by the same sizing but how much different is a womens body than a mans?? Broader shoulders and from armpit to armpit is bigger. what about arm length?? I don't really know.

Boots though. I heard womens shoes go 2 sizes smaller than guys. Is this true??

I know the general rule is that it depends on the brand/manufacturer but generally how do the sizes go.

I just got the car part for my car so I can go out shopping now but i won't be getting out for another few days or even a week so going out isn't a option until then. I have been looking at ebay most of the time and shopping online so any help would be greatly appreciated.
D_Bat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Bat
Boots though. I heard womens shoes go 2 sizes smaller than guys. Is this true??
Actually, got that reversed. Woman's are 2 sizes bigger. My size 8 Sailor Mars pumps fit a male friend from the Philippines who wears a mens 6.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
D_Bat

oppsss. thats's what i ment. I just went looking. found a nice pair of boots that went up calf high for 35. not to bad i guess.
D_Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Well, the best way to figure out womens' sizes is to try them on. Shirts tend to go by x-small, small, medium, large, x-large, etc. They sometimes, though, use dress sizes, which are 4, 6, 8, 10, etc. 4-6 is a small, 8-10 is a medium, and 12-14 is a large. Pants are sized in odd numbers and 0.

If you just want a walk-through to find what size you should wear, Nordstrom has a good one here: http://about.nordstrom.com/help/find...d-your-fit.asp
Unread 10-19-2003, 12:16 AM   #5
LunarYoma

I wear a size 11 in mens. based from numerious sites i read on the net, you got to go 2 sizers bigger in womens shoes. I found that incorrect. i bought a pair of size 13 in womens, they were to big. Size 12 in womens fits me perfectly.

my suggestion is to goto payless(either online or walk into a store) & buy the cheapest womens shoes you can find. get a pair 2 sizes in womens that is bigger than your shoe size. if they fit & you can walk in them confortably, then you made the correct choice. if they dont fit, then you didnt waist much money.

Lunar Yoma

Ours is the Wisdom of Solomon,The Magic of Merlin,The Fall of Icarus. From Countless Ages We Have Beckoned, From Infinite choices We Have Suffered. The World Chokes Under Stifling Conformity, Hopes Crumble in the Fire of Mediocrity, Heroes Die in the Snare of Pride. Armaggeddon is at Hand. Reality is a Lie. The Truth is Magic. Open Your Eyes and Awaken.
LunarYoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2003, 07:19 AM   #6
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Get a tape measure and measure yourself. That's the only way to learn what your measurements are.

That said, sizing for clothing in the store is NOT standardized. I can wear a size 8 at some stores and a size 14 at some, with a 12 at most of them. And the fit for each piece will depend on what it is - you may be a different size for tops than for bottoms, as I am, and the specific fit for you will also depend on how much you want to pad/girdle/alter your shape. So I can only really recommend that you get yourself set up with the shape you plan to have for your costume, and go out and try things on.. it's the only way to make sure you'll find something that fits right.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #7
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Shoe sizes are not rigidly uniform either. You really need to try those suckers on. I have a pair of comfy but slightly loose women's 8.5's from Payless, and I normally wear a 9!! (And some of the 9's there run a bit small for me, too.)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 06:40 PM   #8
Umi
Bass-inating

Yeah the best suggestion is to try stuff on and see how it fits because women's clothes are less standardized than men's.

As for the difference between men and female body types, the length of the arm and legs is pretty much the same for people the same height but generally men's shoulders are broader and men's chest size is larger but flat and hip size is smaller. The difference between the chest, waist and hips is less drastic.

Junior's clothing is the odd number sizes (3,5,7) and Misses clothing is even number (4,6,8) and is generally based off the idea that teenagers don't have fully formed hips and bust for their height. Petite or short sizes generally have shorter arm and leg length with the same proportions otherwise. The opposite is true tall sizes. Sometimes slender means the same as tall and sometimes it means that the lenth of arms/legs is the same as normal sizes but the rest is made smaller for skinnier people.
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
neko rinchan
certified organic

if your hips are 32" then try pants/skirts etc. in the range from a size 10 to a size 14 or a medium to a large. some stores have the sizes bigger than what the tag actually says. for example, a size small at the gap is actually a medium. and depending on where the pants/skirt etc. sits, you may need a bigger or smaller size. if it's a pair of low riders, you may want to go a size bigger just so you don't have fat squishing out over the sizes or your pants, but if the pants sit at the natural waist then using your normal size is sufficent because there's material there constricting your sides. but these sizes are only for american/canadian clothes! european sized clothes tend to doulbe the measurement, and then subtract two inches.

for the jacket, try a medium if it's too tight (can't raise your arms comfortably over your head) go with the next size up. but try out the sizes based on the shirts that you wear, keeping in mind that men's shirts tend to be a little (or a lot) bigger than women's shirts.also make sure that the sleve comes far enough down on your arm. the shortest it should be (in my opinion) is the cuff should hit halfway down your hand. you don't want it to be too short 'cause that really looks bad. at this length, you should be able to stick your arm out and have the cuff hitting at your wrist. and if you're stuck in between sizes, go with the next size up because it can be taken in a lot easier than adding material. the shirt underneath should be about the same size at the jacket, but preferably tighter, so the jacket fits tighter. buy the shirt first, so you can get a better feel for how the jacket fits over the shirt.
neko rinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #10
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko rinchan
if your hips are 32" then try pants/skirts etc. in the range from a size 10 to a size 14 or a medium to a large.
Eh? size 10 to 14 with 32" hips? That seems a bit large... But sizing gets WEIRD for a lot of things.
I've gotten into and looked darn good in a size 0 skirt... and just a few days ago, my friend's roommate had me try on her size 0 Abercrombie and Fitch jeans. Haha.... she was annoyed that they looked better on me than on her.
I got a pair of size 6 tall pants for work (guy size pants NEVER fit me), and those were a little baggy... so for skirts and pants I can range from a 0 to a 4, pretty consistently.
Now for dresses... I'm in the 6-10 range. Usually go for a Medium then, too. I'm usually 8 for formal gowns and such.
Shoes.... are a biatch to find. Go to a Nordstrom's or something and ask for help. Trust me... you want shoes that fit well. Your feet are worth it. Payless may work... but if your feet are a bit oddly sized, it'd be difficult. They are pretty good there, though. Nothing really sexy in the larger sizes.... which is why I don't really shop there much. *shrugs*

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
drbombai

I found that though I wear an 11 in mens shoes, I get away with a 12 in womens most of the time...and an XL for dress sizes...or 18...though I kinda like the way a size 20 skirt I found in black velvet fit...so I just wear a belt with it.
drbombai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
momo_anzu
Looks like poo...I know..

I hate how stores have different sizing methods. I have a size 9 in jeans that fit perfectly in one store and in another it's a size 7 which is WAY too big...unless I wear a belt, heh.

(Kind of off topic but...I got sick a while back, and lost way too much weight, it's hard to gain it back, gah..so now I have to wear belts all the time! I hate belts..they make your pants bunch up and everything..evil.....I want to gain 5 lbs back..or atleast 1 or 2 inches back...)

I wear a men's 9, even though my regular girl shoe size is an 8, so...I guess it depends on wear you shop (I bought my guy shoes off the net)