Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
kanancom

Matte wigs? (Non-shiny, human-looking)

I'm looking to get some wigs that can be used for costume but could also double as something I could wear out if I wanted to. My biggest thing is I want a matte wig, one that looks like human hair but is synthetic. Are their any sellers that carry these? Photos can be very misleading so I want to know from people who have bought before and can confirm the shine and the look/feel of the hair.

The wig I'm wearing in my icon to the left is an example of what I DON'T want. That wig looked very matte in regular light, but flash makes it look very fake (other than, you know, the grey color)

Basically, realistic and non-shiny synthetic wigs. Human hair is way out of my budget :/

I'm especially looking for curly (more wavy than curly) wigs (medium length) and very short ones.

Thanks!

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
kanancom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
TortureBunni
Living in a Dreamworld

I'm the same way, I hate overly-shiney wigs. I'm partial to the New Look brand myself. They still have a bit of shine to them in photos, but are one of the more realistic looking wig brands I've found. They don't feel like human hair, but they are decently thick.

Here's some examples of one of their styles. It's an "Alicia XXL" that's been straightened and styled:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2735861/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2666181/

They sell a few styles at the Cosplay.com store, and at Amphigory. But if you do a web-search for them, you can find an even wider-array of styles.

Hope this helps <3

Convention Schedule 2014:
Katsucon
Otakon
TortureBunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

If you're willing to pay the money for imports:
Vellsus (http://vellsus.jp/)
Airily (http://airily.jp/)
Assist (http://www.assist-wig.com/)

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
kanancom

So is coscom not carrying airily or zephyr ever again?

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post
So is coscom not carrying airily or zephyr ever again?
It seems unlikely.

Unread 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Arda Wigs are matte and natural looking. http://kingdom-arts.org/colors.html When you wear them, most people won't be able to tell it's a wig.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
shortyinabox

You can also run some powder through them. Either translucent powder or baby powder. Just keep combing it through until you get the desired matte look. That way you don't have to go for specific brands. It also dulls out the shine in pictures. I do this on all my wigs because even when they're crazy colours, I wear them out. It works wonderfully.
shortyinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
doxiequeen1

I second arda wigs. Problem is they have a button skin top so you don't get a part line.

@kiratsukai my airily wig is FAR from natural looking, (not just because of the color) It's really shiny. Soft, but shiny.
doxiequeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Seconding New Look's fiber as probably the most realistic looking fiber I've dealt with (also in agreement that it doesn't feel real, but that yes, the look of them is very nice).

You also tend to get pretty good-looking fiber from Fashion (not cosplay) oriented wigs on ebay, for example Korean brands seem to have really nice fiber. I have a wig I got off of ebay- seller and brand I don't recall, but it was a really nice chestnut fashion wig. Basically any brand that's oriented towards fashion and not cosplay is going to have more realistic fiber.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
kanancom

Arda is great, but the issue I have with them is their limited color choices and the wig I want doesn't come in the color I want >.<

@kitsoru: That's a good point, I will try and seek out some Korean sellers, but I've always been wary of them because they use pictures of Korean girls instead of the wig on a wig head so its hard to judge the quality.... Do you know any good korean sellers?

Dragon*con
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post
@kitsoru: That's a good point, I will try and seek out some Korean sellers, but I've always been wary of them because they use pictures of Korean girls instead of the wig on a wig head so its hard to judge the quality.... Do you know any good korean sellers?
Unfortunately I only know of one off the top of my head through lolita stuff, and you need a Korean shopping service (or a group order using one) to order from them- I don't know of any Korean SS's off the top of my head though. This is the shop though: http://gabalnara.com/

EDIT: Here's a Shopping Service I found http://koreanshopping.er.ro/
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA

Last edited by Kitsoru : 01-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

I second the powder, it really cuts the shine down to a natural level.
Clyde_2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Also in general heat resistant wigs are far less shiny and natural looking then non heast resist wigs. Me and my partner have totally switched over to heat resist wigs and msot people think her wigs are her real hair.
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
kiratsukai
culture shocked

All synthetic wigs are made of plastic and have higher sheen than human hair. There's no getting around it completely unless you want to invest in human hair wigs (or you can "cheat" a bit by powdering your wigs to hide sheen).

Color makes a huge difference and so does cut and light. Flash images in low light will out you as a wig-wearer just about every time. A uniform length will also show higher sheen than a choppy layered cut.

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Tonyu
RESTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoisakura View Post
Also in general heat resistant wigs are far less shiny and natural looking then non heast resist wigs. Me and my partner have totally switched over to heat resist wigs and msot people think her wigs are her real hair.
My only experience with heat resistant wigs has been the color was flatter and the fiber was just as shiny as kanekalon. But I've only tried the Cos.com Shopping brand so it might just be those wigs.

Blends of different colors makes a more natural looking wig. The New Look wigs seem to have some color variation in the strands on "hair", similar to real hair.

The fashion wigs on ebay can be good too. I ordered three from a seller and two them were very natural looking blends. The other was jet black, so I didn't expect that one to look as natural. Just make sure you check feedback and ratings to see what other people have to say and make sure the seller is trustworthy. : )

Last edited by Tonyu : 01-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Tonyu is offline   Reply With Quote