Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!
 
SakuraxTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,277
Quick question! HALF-circle skirt.

So circle skirts are useful. I also hear about half-circle skirts....
But what do they actually LOOK like? I mean, obviously not as like....full as a full circle would be, but does anyone have any pictures?

...really, that's all I need to know right now.
__________________
"There's no such thing as an absolute and final ending, for it is always followed by a new beginning.
The future is yours to shape as you wish, crafted with hope upon a foundation of peace."


Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
IvySun
Thread stalker
 
IvySun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 237
a half circle skirt is exactly what it sounds like. its a half circle.
http://www.dressmaking.co.nz/images/fullHalfCirc.gif gives you the math you need to figure out the size but remember you need 2 for a full circle and only 1 for a half circle skirt.
IvySun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!
 
ChilmarkGryphon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 678
Google image search is your friend.
__________________
Fast. Cheap. Accurate. Pick two.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
IvySun
Thread stalker
 
IvySun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
only thing is some of those are full circle skirts.
IvySun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!
 
SakuraxTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySun View Post
only thing is some of those are full circle skirts.
And that I can't really tell the difference...
__________________
"There's no such thing as an absolute and final ending, for it is always followed by a new beginning.
The future is yours to shape as you wish, crafted with hope upon a foundation of peace."


Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH
 
Ichigogami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,093
It moreso shows a difference when you are cutting them out... Take a regular circle in your minds eye... cut out a smaller circle in the dead center for your waistline measurement, When you are cutting it out of fabric you would actually cut out that full outer circle. It would be a whole circumference with your waist amount out of the center *Think REAL 50's Poodle skirt, that is a prime example of a circle skirt*. When you make a half circle skirt, you are basically taking your waist measurement and applying it to a pattern that is actually 1/2 of that initial circle so waistline is the same but fullness in the skirt itself is less. Think of it more like a-line skirt, less flounce.


Sample of Circle Skirt...
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2035-costumes.aspx

Sample of Half circle skirt
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/...t/08-181-a.jpg

The lay is a bit different.
__________________
Katsucon 2014, Otakon 2014
Ichigogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!
 
SakuraxTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
It moreso shows a difference when you are cutting them out... Take a regular circle in your minds eye... cut out a smaller circle in the dead center for your waistline measurement, When you are cutting it out of fabric you would actually cut out that full outer circle. It would be a whole circumference with your waist amount out of the center *Think REAL 50's Poodle skirt, that is a prime example of a circle skirt*. When you make a half circle skirt, you are basically taking your waist measurement and applying it to a pattern that is actually 1/2 of that initial circle so waistline is the same but fullness in the skirt itself is less. Think of it more like a-line skirt, less flounce.


Sample of Circle Skirt...
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2035-costumes.aspx

Sample of Half circle skirt
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/...t/08-181-a.jpg

The lay is a bit different.
Aha! Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for!
__________________
"There's no such thing as an absolute and final ending, for it is always followed by a new beginning.
The future is yours to shape as you wish, crafted with hope upon a foundation of peace."


Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH
 
Ichigogami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,093
I'm glad I could help and your Luka headdress and wig are looking quite good! Good luck!
__________________
Katsucon 2014, Otakon 2014
Ichigogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!
 
SakuraxTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
I'm glad I could help and your Luka headdress and wig are looking quite good! Good luck!
Thanks!
Haha, thanks for that too! My Luka headband was going to be the headphones, but it was sort of last-minute so I didn't get to finish them. Oh well! :P
__________________
"There's no such thing as an absolute and final ending, for it is always followed by a new beginning.
The future is yours to shape as you wish, crafted with hope upon a foundation of peace."


Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.