Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
AceOfCraze

RIP Heath Ledger - 3 Year Anniversary

Today is 3rd anniversary of Heath Ledger's death. I would like to ask you all to spare a thought for Mr Ledger and to honor the wonderful man who tragically lost his life. We loved you dearly and we miss you very, very much. RIP Heath Ledger, an great actor, caring father and a briliant Joker but most importantly a truely amazing man xxxxx

Majora's Mask Moon Child - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Human!The Smiler - Alton Towers Roller Coaster Gijinka
Medicine Seller - Mononoke
AceOfCraze is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

Ledger was a good actor, but the only reason he's a legend now for Joker is because he happened to pass away during post production. Otherwise, while the performance was an interesting take on Joker, it was an imitation of an older actor. I forget the name of said actor, but he even admitted it in an interview. The only reason he got the Oscar for Best Actor was because he passed away; it was completely unfair to the other nominees. He was not responsible for the heroin-addict like appearance that has been instilled in our heads since the release of the film. That is due to Nolan, Lindy Hemming (costume), and Peter Robb-King and John Caglione (for makeup). So again, he was a good actor, and he gave a very interesting take on the Joker, something completely unseen before, that did mesh well with the grungy universe of Nolan, but plain and simple, it really wasn't Joker. It couldn't be, he wasn't enough of a parallel to Batman, and that is Joker at the core. Everything that Batman isn't, Joker is.

So instead of remembering Ledger for this supposedly epic role of the Joker, let's remember him for the potential he wasted by overdosing, and that he maybe could have one day have become a great actor. It's such a shame he only became legendary because he passed away..
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
AceOfCraze

I wasn't remembering him JUST because of him being The Joker. I am a Joker fan just as much as you are and I agree with you completly about him not quite being the Joker. I was just listing one of the many fantastic qualities he had to him. There are many other things that we should remember him for such as the potential to be a great actor. But to me, he was a legend before he was The Joker.

Unread 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Was he a wonderful man?

I'm not challenging the idea, just trying to find validation for it.

I just know he was an actor, but that's it.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

No doubt he was a decent fellow. There are approximately 40,000 other people who died on exactly the same day he did, none of whom were in a movie as the Joker. They were probably decent people too.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Decent, I wont argue. But wonderful seems a pretty big leap.

I'd like to know what warrants that label, personally.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfCraze View Post
I wasn't remembering him JUST because of him being The Joker. I am a Joker fan just as much as you are and I agree with you completly about him not quite being the Joker. I was just listing one of the many fantastic qualities he had to him. There are many other things that we should remember him for such as the potential to be a great actor. But to me, he was a legend before he was The Joker.
Did you know him personally? Probably not. We really don't know anything beyond his acting ability, and you did mention Joker specifically. And he couldn't really be considered a legend prior to his death because he hadn't accomplished anything legendary. You seem a little star struck, no offense.
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
AceOfCraze

Okay, I admit it, I am a little star struck. I just wanted to honour his memory and wanted to see if anyone else wanted to honour his memory too. The day of mourning is over now and feel that the thread has done it's purpose. So thanks for sparing a little thought for Heath. RIP Heath Ledger and the 40,000 other people who died too.