Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
berehynia

Military Ukraine sword

Hi! ;///;
I'm still relatively new to cosplay/this forum and I had a question. I'm making a Soviet military Ukraine costume and in the reference sketch, she has a sword attached to her belt; more specifically, a sabre in a simple black scabbard. Does anyone have any tips how to even start making one? I'm totally lost where to begin and I didn't want to buy one because of A) expense B) travelling across country and C) I simply wanted it as more show than for it to be out of the scabbard and be used, if that makes sense.

Here's a fanart picture that shows it a little better, granted I do believe the guard should be a metallic rather than a simple rope.
Thanks in advanced.
berehynia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
berehynia

How the heck did I reply to myself!?
orz
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Aearon

Hmmm.. Well, it's probably easiest to make it out of wood. Also, you can just make the prop as the scabbard with the handle attached to it instead of making the sword and then the scabbard as well. Most cons ban metal weapons so you have to find alternate sources.
Typically, the most used mediums are wood, cardboard, expanding foam, insulation foam, epoxy, resin, and acrylic. There are a ton of tutorials here for each of the various types and all of them have their advantages and disadvantages. =)
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'd probably make it out of wood. I'm not sure how accurate Himaruya is with swords, but it'd be cool if you made it a shashka (some of those have guards although traditionally they didn't). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashka
Bunch of russian swords for reference: http://www.russianswords.com/swords.htm
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
berehynia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearon View Post
Hmmm.. Well, it's probably easiest to make it out of wood. Also, you can just make the prop as the scabbard with the handle attached to it instead of making the sword and then the scabbard as well. Most cons ban metal weapons so you have to find alternate sources.
Typically, the most used mediums are wood, cardboard, expanding foam, insulation foam, epoxy, resin, and acrylic. There are a ton of tutorials here for each of the various types and all of them have their advantages and disadvantages. =)
Most of what I found before was to make the sword itself as opposed to the scabbard so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any good ideas where I could find info/tutorial/what have you. Wood might work best in my case so thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I'd probably make it out of wood. I'm not sure how accurate Himaruya is with swords, but it'd be cool if you made it a shashka (some of those have guards although traditionally they didn't). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashka
Bunch of russian swords for reference: http://www.russianswords.com/swords.htm
Ah! Yeah, when I was doing some Soviet research, I came across some shashkas which would be really awesome (and a bit more accurate) for my costume. My only problem would probably be making it look like it was actually a sword in a scabbard as opposed to a... fancy colored stick attached to my belt >_<;;

Last edited by berehynia : 01-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.