Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
bookitty

is it looked down upon to buy your cosplay?

i'm a relatively new cosplayer and i'm looking to cosplay madoka's "ultimate" outfit.. however i have really poor sewing skills, especially for a dress like hers. (not to mention trying to make wings!)

i found a cosplay/costume of it on ebay and while it's not entirely accurate, the seller reviews dont seem bad. and i'm not sure i could afford to commission the whole outfit from someone on here.

is it considered okay to purchase the whole outfit off ebay, or should i try to make it myself? also it might not be the quality i want since i can't see it in person..

what do you guys think? (sorry i'm really new..)
bookitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I personally see no problem in it. You could always modify it too. I have bought a few things on ebay, and everything I have bought has been modified or something else added to the costume in some way
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Generally speaking, people only have a problem with lying about buying their cosplays. As long as you admit to buying rather than making, you should have no issues.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Madam Neko
Tea, Moe, Art.

It's not looked down upon at all! (Expect by elitists) But in fact, a ton of cosplayers buy their cosplays. ^^ I personally have the most fun in making my cosplays, so I don't understand it, but as long as you put effort into it, no one will look down at you.
Madam Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Suican
Cosplay Speedrunner

Unless they are extreme perfectionists, then there's no need to worry about buying cosplays as long as you add your own spin on it. I bought my Mass Effect Shepard armor for Otakon and yet people still called it one of the best Shepard s they have ever seen. It's all in good fun anyway, so don't worry.
Suican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Hallowin

I have really poor sewing skills 2, or i don't know how to sew at all, so i buy most cosplays except my friends will give their cosplay to me
What
I
Love
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cosplay1

Cosplay2
~~~~~~~~~~~
Hallowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

This question comes up a lot. I agree that it's not a big deal if you buy/commission your costume. It's just a big deal if you claim you made it. So as long as you stay honest, then it's cool. After all, this is just a hobby where a bunch of fans dress up like the things they love. There shouldn't be problems if someone who doesn't know how to sew wants to buy a costume to have fun in.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
bookitty

alright thanks guys. most of my friends sew their own costumes so i guess i feel sort of pressured. but i'm thinking i'll buy it and use the costume as a base to make it more accurate to the canon design!
bookitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
alright thanks guys. most of my friends sew their own costumes so i guess i feel sort of pressured. but i'm thinking i'll buy it and use the costume as a base to make it more accurate to the canon design!
That's actually one of the best things you can do when you aren't able to sew your own costume. Find a good base and then make it fabulous by adding small details that make it look more accurate.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
~H~
Original H

I think kiratsukai said it best:

"Sometimes cosplay is like pie.
People who make pie are awesome.
People who buy pie are pretty cool, too.
If pie is delicious, I will compliment the person serving it to me.
If they made the pie, I will absolutely compliment them on having made it, too."

Either way you enjoy the pie ^_-.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote