Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 01-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
ShiroAme

Can these things work for Steampunk? & Other Questions

Hello, I'm thinking of going to a Steampunk convention in a few months and I want to make/wear something Steampunk there. I have a few things lying around my house that I don't really use, and I was wondering whether they could be Steampunk. This is the first time I'm making a Steampunk outfit, so I don't really know if these things could work. Anyways, here are some pictures:

I know most Steampunk fashions are of the Victorian western styled clothing, but I did some looking around and it seems like "Chinese" Steampunk does exist. So I'm just wondering if a Qipao like this could be used for Steampunk. XD

When I first bought these hats, I thought I could use them for Lolita if I ever tried it and I never really did. So could these be used for Steampunk as well? XD

Another question have is, is it important to have steam-powered gadgets as part of my outfit? In other words, would it still be Steampunk if you wore just the clothes, without the gadgets? >.<;

Thank you in advance. ^_^
ShiroAme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Skeff

I could see it working. The best part about steampunk is that its only limited to your imagination.

I say run with it and see how it turns out. If you like it in the end, then it was a success

"Your mechanical minions have been defeated! Now its just you, me, me, me and meeeee!"

Table Tops, Drinking and Stuff
http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/
Skeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I could totally see that dress working with some alterations. Me, I would probably cut splits up really high, gather the front to look more like a drape, and then put some sort of petticoat or bustle under it. Then I would work something else underneath maybe if it doesn't cover your legs how you would like. With the right accessories, I bet it could be really cute!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
ShiroAme

Thanks for your comments! I don't think I've used so much imagination since elementary school. @__@;

@Mehdia: I would rather not cut or alter the dress as I might want to wear it once in a blue moon as it is. Though I do wish the slits WERE a bit higher. XD I was also thinking of wearing a longer skirt under it. The only problem is that there's too much bulk since the dress is quite tight. @__@; Another idea I have is to make a skirt to wear under the dress that follows the body contours until about where the slits open, then have it flare out there. Would it still look Steampunk if the flare doesn't start from the waist though? @__@;

Also, what kind of accessories are usually worn with Steampunk? XD
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I understand not cutting it if you want to keep it as is. Though you can still raise the split some. I think you could probably do something with a more body fitting skirt, and then have it flare out under the hem of the dress, sort of a mermaid style. The beauty of steampunk is that you can do just about anything.

As for the accessories, you would need to think about what kind of character you would be portraying. That will help determine what you would need for it.
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
ShiroAme

Yes I was thinking of something like that as well. And I'd still rather not do anything to the dress, but I guess I'll see after I make a skirt under it and see how that looks. XD

Well, I mostly had some kind of aristocratic look in mind, is that enough to determine what kind of accessories?

Last edited by ShiroAme : 01-26-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

That would be your best course of action with the dress. Make all the other parts, then you will see if you have to modify anything.

As for the aristocrat, I would look for things that would have been worn by ladies of the Victorian and Edwardian era, then tweak them for steampunk. I'm actually working up plans for a hat for a steampunk character's outfit that is going to be a mix of being dressier, but a bit more of a high class prostitute look, and on it I want to get the copper and brass sheet metal and make the flowers and feathers that go in it instead of using silk flowers and real feathers. It's little things like that.

Since you are going for an aristocratic look, you wouldn't be sporting goggles or having gears and things adorn you or tools. You wouldn't be doing anything that would require them. A good pair of long gloves to go with the dress would look nice, black probably. Then you could dress it up with period accurate (or less accurate) jewelry and accessories. A parasol would be nice to carry as well.
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
ShiroAme

Okay, good, that was more or less what I was thinking of as well. I'm glad I'm not way off track with this. Thanks for your help, I think I have a good idea of what to do now. ^_^
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

No problem. I would love to see what you come up with in the end!