Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
stardust760

Ever dyed your hair an unnatural color?

I'm thinking of dying my hair a very dark violet or violet red. Has anybody had any experiences with unusual colors(purple, green pink ect.) what brand did you use? were you happy with the results. i hope this is in the right category since its not for cosplay.
stardust760 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Once you engage in the process of dyeing your hair, using hair dye, you hair has been dyed. "I nearly died when I realized what color my hair had been dyed."

Sorry, one of my personal bugaboos.

I haven't had my hair very outrageous colors, mostly because I don't want to deal with the upkeep, but my friends who do routinely use less conventional colors generally prefer Special Effects brand. I've used Manic Panic myself, over my natural hair color, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference or last very long, but that's to be expected.

You can use a temporary dye over your natural color, but expect that, unless your hair is rather light blond, it's not going to make a tremendous difference and will mostly be visible under bright sunlight. Dark colors like burgundy and deep purple will mostly show up as a tint. The most striking effects are achieved by bleaching to the lightest shade you can safely get your hair, using toner to mellow out the brassiness, then dyeing with your color of choice. It's a pretty involved process, and unless you have a trusted friend or enough money to bring the job to a professional, you may not want to approach it on your own.

That said, using the home permanent hair color like L'Oreal or Garnier or whatever, I've never had a real problem. At this point I leave my color to the professionals, though, since home dyeing tends to come out uneven on my porous hair, so the scalp is a totally different shades from the ends.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
DaemonForce
Unhealed

I've tried temporary dye and it's mainly a tint for me. I have the kind of hair that needs bleaching first. :/

A while back I met this one dark-haired girl that was hellbent on changing her hair color. She has had just about every color in her hair but for some reason decided to try bleaching and dying on her own for once and in the hotel of all places.

"This will work, right?"

Less than half an hour later she was freaking out. Her hair barely changed but it looked like someone dyed the roots blonde. It was a little amusing. Then about half an hour later she got out of the shower and I nearly freaked. She must swim a lot because her hair was slowly turning this nasty seaweed green and it looked like a giant booger hanging from her head it was so godawful. At first I nearly pissed myself laughing but it got worse. The green finally managed to reach the ends of her hair after about an hour and despite my best efforts I couldn't stop laughing. That was the first time I've cried in years. <3

So yeah...If you dye your hair a lot...If you swim a lot, don't expect this to work right. Bleach, tone, don't do it yourself and you'll be a LOT happier with the results.
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
mattyj

I've had both blue and a violet hair dye i quite liked the violet hair dye just rember to do a 48 skin test before dyeing your hair

i used schwarzkopf live color xxl i'm not sure if you have that in the states though

Next event: May MCM Expo 11

Costumes
Friday - Risa - Ubunchu
Saturday - Kaito - Vocaloid
Sunday - Austria - Hetalia
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Aearon

Well... Mine wasn't exactly 'dying' it. I did however bleach my hair several times in a row within a period of a little over a week for my Hitsugaya Toushiro cosplay. =)
The first time I bleached it, it became bright orange.
The second time, it was bright yellow.
Finally, the third time I died it, it became 'almost' white.
I got it from Sally Beauty Supply when I was back in Colorado.

My sister has also put pink streaks in her hair using a dye from Sally. I forget what brand she used to do the streaks though.

Oh, btw... They have really good shampoo to use just after you dye/bleach your hair as well. It usually comes in small packets. I'd recommend getting/using that just after you do any dying/bleaching, it really helps keep your hair from getting damaged. =)

Last edited by Aearon : 01-25-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
sam vimes
A real live wire

I once dyed my hair octarine.

Only Terry Pratchett fans will appreciate that.

...I'll be quiet now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i haven't done any "unnatural" colors. once when i tried manic panic blood red (and didn't bleach first) it went purple as it washed out, so i started using some of the clairol/loreal types instead. when i bleached last year i got the stuff in the purple and white bottles and packets from sally's and was pretty impressed with the result, but i left it in a little longer than the instructions said to since my natural color is almost black. i use garnier color shield shampoo and conditioner every time i shower, which helps a lot after you've bleached a couple times and your hair gets the texture of straw.

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

I have bright blue streaks in my hair, but Ive neglected them and now they're somewhere between blonde and green. Really weird. Im thinking of dying them purple or red or just putting it back to my normal hair color. Or maybe just dying my hair a nice reddish orange color. Oh, the possibilities
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
Yukikittie

When you dye your hair an unnatural color, make sure you treat it like a baby. Take the best care of it that you can. Those colors fade out fast too, if you plan to do it then dye your hair that color 2-3 days before you do the cosplay.
I have dyed my hair magenta, dark purple, and hot pink.
For all of them I went to a salon, so I can't give you products to use.
I was happy with the results, but you have to really take care of it so it doesn't fade quickly and then looks bad.
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
stardust760

hmm... im starting to have second thoughts, though i would love to have a blackish color with a purple shine... as far as bleaching, my hair is so fragile it might all die if i bleach...
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Annwyn
Daisy Viktoria

Punky Color is really great! I've dyed my hair all different colors since I was 16 - with a few years of natural color in between - and Punky is my favorite for the bright stuff. It shows up the best and lasts the longest, at least on my hair.

If you're going for a dark color with a purplish shine, Punky would work. It does show up over darker colored hair, though it fades gradually, as it is semi-permanent. I have put dark purple over brown, and it was actually really great, not quite as vibrant as it is over blonde but still incredibly purple.
With a dark reddish or purplish shade, you can also find some permanent colors in the wide array of standard box kits.
Unread 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Viveeh
necrocarnival

A rather long time ago I had my hair dyed blue. It turned out great and lasted for soooo long: till the first time I showered after that. And then my hair was ugly grey-ish and colorless. I wouldn't recommend dyeing (not dying, nobody's dying) your hair blue, I don't have much faith in any brand of blue hair dye... Haha.

They said it would be a permanent color and I paid a crapload to that scammer of a hairdresser just to get a disgusting hair. DX
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

I want to put pink in my hair sometime soon. I might do it for my 19th or 20th birthday. I love abnormal hair colors, especially pink, blue, red, and green. I have yet to dye my hair any of those colors though I've died my hair other normal colors may times. I really liked the time I had Jean Grey red hair. It was so awesome!
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
stardust760

Well I decided for now to just darken my hair with a really gentle semi permanent haircolor my hair already looks red especially in the sun so know it looks like a black cherry kinda color. Like this but darker http://http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&gl=us&source=mog&client=safari& hl=en&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g6-k0d0t0&fkt=1949&fsdt=15002&htf=&sa=2&q=black+red+h air#i=70
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
stardust760

I really like it. It's unique without being overbearing.