Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

DHgate.com

I'm in the UK and looking for a Hetalia Turkey costume for use in May at MCM, so plenty of time to find one.

I've found what looks promising and is within my price range but I just want some advice from experienced cosplayers before I buy, especially considering some of the horror stories I've heard from dodgey sites like Milanoo.
I checked the review thread but couldn't find this person in particular.

http://www.dhgate.com/axis-powers-he...1a69a1758.html

They have high positive feedback which is good, however half of them seem to be from the same person... hrmm.

The pictured costume is one I've seen in a lot of places, Milanoo ect.

However this seller is the only one I've found with really detailed pictures of the costume showing close ups and the individual parts of the costume, which is a plus.

So if anyone has any experience with this seller or this website then I would greatly appreciate you're opinions.

Thanks (:
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I do not buy costumes but I do buy silly stuff and gadgets on ebay and from wholesale sites including DHG. This page raises some red flags for me immediately. All the photos are tiny as if they are thumbnails lifted from someone else, none of them can be enlarged. This would back up your "I saw these photos before on Milanoo et al" theory. Despite having photos of the detailed parts you mentioned, they are still altogether small photos. The ebay store watermark seems to reference an ebay seller no longer registered and the text itself is just copy-pasted from an ebay listing as per the ebay references throughout and the mention of Ebay Turbo Lister.

This seems really lazy and like a slap-dash job to me, like they dumped the photos and text on the page and called it a day. The seller did not even bother to space things out properly. I have no idea whether this seller was once the ebay account holder or not, but it still seems a little strange. If they were the original owner of the photos, they could easily go to the original files and delete the ebay store watermark and/or change the watermark to reference their DHG account, as well as upload something larger than a 300px wide image.

As far as feedback, the neutrals all seem to mention slow shipping. The negatives seem to mention "not as described", "missing items" or "broke/unacceptable quality for use". What it boils down to is that it is your $108 and your decision. You have plenty of time for them to be slow about shipping, but the question is do you want to take the chance that you might not receive what you see in the photos?

If you are seriously considering purchasing from this particular seller I would recommend using the "Contact Seller" button and asking for more information. Ask to see some higher quality (re: larger) photos to start with, perhaps discuss sizing for the costume as their size chart is a mess, ask about what fabrics they will use for different pieces, and anything else you can think of. Hopefully their responses will help you make an informed decision. Definitely pay with a method that protects you if something goes wrong.

There is also the option of commissioning someone on the marketplace here. You can even refer to the Commissioner/Seller Review Forum to find a commissioner with the skill and portfolio to suit your needs. Best of luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Thanks I'll fire them an email and see what I get, I know nothing about fabrics though.

I might alway just buy a similar one from cosplay fu, same price, decent rep.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
lollydove

This may help- they're not costumes but feedback seems fairly positive with them.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/780738
June / Akane Kurashiki (999) - %85
Phi (Good People Die) - %0
Shuu Iwamine (Pigeon Boyfriend) - %0
Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven) - %0

[center]COME VISIT MY LENS STORE!
lollydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
pansy789

fullbleed, are all your clothes bought on the internet? i dare not to buy because some said the quality is not guaranteed.
pansy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Old thread is old, but I thought I'd mention Cosplay Fu is actually reliable. What you see is what you get. It just so happens the stuff they DO sell is usually not accurate XD;;

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
pansy789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Old thread is old, but I thought I'd mention Cosplay Fu is actually reliable. What you see is what you get. It just so happens the stuff they DO sell is usually not accurate XD;;
So if the size i want is 4, they may give me a 3 one? that would be a problem
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansy789 View Post
So if the size i want is 4, they may give me a 3 one? that would be a problem
.....what are you talking about? XD;; Do you mean sizing? *said nothing about sizing*

I said what they have on the site is usually not accurate. As in, look up a picture of the character and compare to the costume. It won't be accurate (wrong colors, wrong details, etc). If the picture they have, though, actually is accurate though, then you're fine.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
pansy789

oh, well, i prefer making the cloth myself. expect for some special parts that i can not cope with. The decorate parts would be difficult to handle, that's why i have to buy them on the cosplay shops from some web.