Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Unread 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
MidnightKitten

Too much to wear for everyday?

http://www.hellocosplay.com/hell-gir...ume-p-232.html

I want this for 2 reasons: #1: because I want to do hell girl cosplay and #2: because I want to wear it everyday as well. I'm just concerned if it would be too wild and costume like to wear for everyday. if so, what can I do to make it more casual? Thanks for all and any suggestions!
MidnightKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I'd just wear the skirt with a nice blouse or plain button up and skip wearing the sailor top all together if you want it to be more casual.
You could also try wearing the sailor top with a pair of white wide-leg trousers and some nautical-themed jewelry and a pair of cute wedge sandals for a summer look.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
DaemonForce
Unhealed

The only thing I can think of is swapping the tie for one of another color every other time. Maybe a bow instead of that disgusting ascot style. The outfit looks fairly normal so it shouldn't be a concern. It's not quite casual or formal so it should be fine for every day.
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

The top is quite costume-y. The skirt is just a pleated skirt, which could be worn in lots of different ways. With a white collared shirt and a fitted black blazer would be nice--could even wear a red neckerchief with it if you wanted to allude to the Hell Girl outfit a bit more.

Given the quality of the costume (i.e. the fabric and the sewing techniques), I think if you wear the top and bottom together anywhere but a convention you'll look out of place and costume-y. The skirt is easily adaptable to other looks but the top is a very specific style and I don't see a lot of casual-wear potential in it.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Personally, I think it would look really costume-y unless you went to a school that wore that kind of uniform.

It really depends on what you're alright wearing out of the house. What kind of attention you're okay with getting - that kind of thing.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
MidnightKitten

Ah I see, and I don't want any forced attention. I do want people to take me seriously, and not stare at me like O_O wtf. yknow? so, this helps, keep the suggestions coming though! thanks :3
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Sorry but~

If I saw someone outside of Japan wearing a Japanese elementary/junior high schoolgirl costume uniform on the street, I'd probably have to laugh.

Sort of like how I snort my drink giggling when I see Japanese housewives wearing "mother fuck" t-shirts and want to punch the Japanese kids waving goodbye to their friends on a crowded train with upraised middle fingers, totally unaware of what they mean to the foreigners riding them.

It isn't that I want to hurt anyone's feelings... but some things are just gloriously inappropriate out-of-context and cultural appropriation takes some really absurd turns that it's difficult not to find humor (and sometimes annoyance) in ^^;;;

A skirt is a skirt and a shirt is a shirt... but if you wear that top out... all bets are off.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 01-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
MidnightKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Sorry but~

If I saw someone outside of Japan wearing a Japanese elementary/junior high schoolgirl costume uniform on the street, I'd probably have to laugh.

Sort of like how I snort my drink giggling when I see Japanese housewives wearing "mother fuck" t-shirts and want to punch the Japanese kids waving goodbye to their friends on a crowded train with upraised middle fingers, totally unaware of what they mean to the foreigners riding them.

It isn't that I want to hurt anyone's feelings... but some things are just gloriously inappropriate out-of-context and cultural appropriation takes some really absurd turns that it's difficult not to find humor (and sometimes annoyance) in ^^;;;

A skirt is a skirt and a shirt is a shirt... but if you wear that top out... all bets are off.
The tie, however, is detachable. Ya think that would help the shirt look more casual, or it's a no go? thanks for being honest too.
Unread 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
adolf
A+ ANGEL

Am I the only one who thinks that both top and skirt could be worn casually?

Not at the same time of course.

But the top with a pair of black shorts, sheer tights, and red mary janes could make a really cute sailor coordinate. No one would really associate it with a cosplay costume unless you told them, or wore a sign around your neck or something. It's a little out of the norm, but it could catch peoples' attention without being too "weird" for normal day wear.
adolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Sailor top (scarf or not) = 6-14 year old student or older woman dressing up like one for sexual, "entertainment" or comedic purposes.

Cheap Chinese-make in polyester or polyblend = costume.

Non Japanese or non-student in a schoolgirl costume = odd and perhaps perverted.

:/

Don't wear that top out...

Real school uniforms costs well over $300 and are quite high quality, and outside of Japan it will be obvious that you're not a Japanese schoolgirl anyway. Inside of Japan, it would be obvious that you were wearing a costume on the street (both poor etiquette and in some places enough to have you spoken to by the police or security... students' uniforms identify them and their schools. Wearing the uniform of a school you don't go to can get you in a lot of trouble).

Either way you become unintentionally hilarious to everyone remotely aware of Japanese culture.

To put this in perspective: would you wear a cowgirl costume to the mall? How about a fetishy nurse?

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 01-27-2011 at 05:16 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Altrus
I love dogs!

Quote:
Sorry but~

Dear Mightykitten,

I advocate you to ignore Kiratsutaki. You're not in japan, you're in america (hell, california, which is EXTRA down with things out of the norm). Who gives a crap about what others think? If you like it and find it to be something you'd want to wear, go ahead and wear it! It's a free country. I personally find pop music awful but I don't bash people for liking it. I don't bash japanese singers for singing in engrish because they think it sounds cool. It's perfectly legal. Buck the norm. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work, you'd be amazed what people can stylistically manage. Be yourself! I personally find it delightful to see people dressed something out of the normal during my day! Makes the world a more fascinating, diverse, and lively place. I don't know about you guys but if I saw a girl wearing a cowgirl outfit to the mall, if she did it well, then, well, awesomesauce!
Unread 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
To put this in perspective: would you wear a cowgirl costume to the mall? How about a fetishy nurse?
I know some that do. o_O
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
MidnightKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrus View Post
Dear Mightykitten,

I advocate you to ignore Kiratsutaki. You're not in japan, you're in america (hell, california, which is EXTRA down with things out of the norm). Who gives a crap about what others think? If you like it and find it to be something you'd want to wear, go ahead and wear it! It's a free country. I personally find pop music awful but I don't bash people for liking it. I don't bash japanese singers for singing in engrish because they think it sounds cool. It's perfectly legal. Buck the norm. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work, you'd be amazed what people can stylistically manage. Be yourself! I personally find it delightful to see people dressed something out of the normal during my day! Makes the world a more fascinating, diverse, and lively place. I don't know about you guys but if I saw a girl wearing a cowgirl outfit to the mall, if she did it well, then, well, awesomesauce!
Quote:
Sailor top (scarf or not) = 6-14 year old student or older woman dressing up like one for sexual, "entertainment" or comedic purposes.

Cheap Chinese-make in polyester or polyblend = costume.

Non Japanese or non-student in a schoolgirl costume = odd and perhaps perverted.

:/

Don't wear that top out...

Real school uniforms costs well over $300 and are quite high quality, and outside of Japan it will be obvious that you're not a Japanese schoolgirl anyway. Inside of Japan, it would be obvious that you were wearing a costume on the street (both poor etiquette and in some places enough to have you spoken to by the police or security... students' uniforms identify them and their schools. Wearing the uniform of a school you don't go to can get you in a lot of trouble).

Either way you become unintentionally hilarious to everyone remotely aware of Japanese culture.

UHG I'm SO confused. Lol. So far, more people are saying it'd look weird, and like 2 out of 6 are saying it's cool.
Unread 01-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
nana-chan00
Believe In Yourself

it's cool
change the tie and it works^^
to change it up wear a different bottom with the shirt, like some skinny jeans or black or white pants
nana-chan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Mnemeth17

I must agree with kiratsukai that you will get funny stares, in the US or in Japan. While it's somewhat normal to see girls in uniforms in Japan shopping with friends from school, it's not ordinary to see it in the US. It will undoubtedly look costume-y worn all together for two major reasons:
1- Materials. Real Japanese uniforms are made of nice, nice material. In pictures it may look like there is no difference, but you can tell in real life if something's a costume and if it's not.
2- the sailor theme. It's iconic of Japan, and sailor style is rarely, if at all seen, in everyday fashion in the US. Undoubtedly the set worn together will look like you are trying to dress up Japanese. Think of it this way, wearing a proper yukata in the US will look like a costume, even though it is intended for regular wear.

In my opinion, you can get away with the pleated skirt easy in everyday wear (I wear my altered thrift find often) but that sailor top, even if you change the tie, will look really out of place. If you really want to go for the every day wear, no one is going to stop you, but just be prepared and expect people to ask why you are dressed funny/in costume/trying to be Japanese.
Mnemeth17 is offline   Reply With Quote