Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
kuramasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgetalife View Post
FOOD after 10PM

Ok Last year there was a snow storm. A lot of the places on the outside were closed. But the hotel in particular. There's NOTHING to eat after 10PM unless you want room service. The sportsbar basically had Chicken Fingers and Pork Sliders. Basically Microwaved.

I ended up being delayed getting into Katsucon on Friday at 11PM. I had to go across the street to a freaking night club to get anything resembling food.

So keep that in mind in case you come from a place like NYC where you are used to being able to walk out anytime and get stuff.
Was this on thursday? Because I remember going pretty damn late one night to the place on the ground floor of the gaylord where they sold overpriced sandwiches, fruit, milk, soda and hotdogs. The one that's very close to the official giftshop (not a specialty shop) of the Gaylord hotel.
Castlepoint Anime Fest
Anime I-Con
Otakon
kuramasan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by liivingdeadgirl View Post
There was that little cafe thingy that had amazing hot dogs at 4am. XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuramasan View Post
Was this on thursday? Because I remember going pretty damn late one night to the place on the ground floor of the gaylord where they sold overpriced sandwiches, fruit, milk, soda and hotdogs. The one that's very close to the official giftshop (not a specialty shop) of the Gaylord hotel.
The place you two are referring to is known as the "Java Coast".
http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord...ts/java-coast/
This places hours of operation are from 5am to 1am. Basically a great option to grab something RIGHT before you start your late night adventures, or a nice place to grab a quick snack before calling it a night. Definitely added to the front page.
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
michael16291
Final Fantasy Y U NO STOP

Also just throwing this out there! BRING A PHONE CHARGER! For some reason I noticed Last year that at the Gaylord actually drains your cell phones battery life! I usually don't have to charge my phone but every 3 days. Well at the gaylord I had to charge it every night ID why but it was so close to dying. Plus I wasn't the only one who was experiencing the same problem....So just FYI! Be prepared!
Saya- Blood C
STRength- BRS
Lightning- XIII-2

In-progress:
Princess Bubble gum (Alt Version)[Adventure Time]
Ikki [Legend of Korra]
Litchi [Blazblue]

Otakon 2013

Last edited by michael16291 : 02-01-2011 at 09:16 PM.
michael16291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
kuramasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael16291 View Post
Also just throwing this out there! BRING A PHONE CHARGER! For some reason I noticed Last year that at the Gaylord actually drains your cell phones battery life! I usually don't have to charge my phone but every 3 days. Well at the gaylord I had to charge it every night ID why but it was so close to dying. Plus I wasn't the only one who was experiencing the same problem....So just FYI! Be prepared!
what the hell? lmao! XD The Gaylord has a secret base underneath it which harvests energy together from electronic devices to power itself or something?
Castlepoint Anime Fest
Anime I-Con
Otakon
kuramasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuramasan View Post
what the hell? lmao! XD The Gaylord has a secret base underneath it which harvests energy together from electronic devices to power itself or something?
IT'S THE CURSE OF THE GAYLORD CONVENTION CENTER I TELLS YA!

Honestly though, I remember this was the first con I went to with my Android device, and the battery not lasting for S*** any of the days I was there. I would say that it's most likely due to the fact that I was flipping it out every twelve seconds to text someone/take a picture of someone. But it is always a good idea to bring your charger with you, and plug your phone in over night to ensure a full battery for the day. [added to list!]

Darn smart phones. We're able to fit a laptop worth of power into the darn things, yet we can't even make a battery that lasts more than a days use for them @.@
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Good news guys! Was doing some research in the area, and it looks like there's been a CVS that they've been planning for awhile. Better news, is it'll open on February 13th! This opens up a whole range of possibilities as far as food and forgotten toiletries goes, just thought I'd let everyone know about this development.

The store itself is located on 162 Fleet Street.
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Yamia Ishtar
Unless

Is that CVS in walking distance? :O

Otakon '14: Cronus Ampora(Homestuck)/Fancy Derse Dreamer!NiGHTS(NiGHTS into Dreams/Homestuck crossover)/Orphaner Dualscar (Homestuck)/Tyrian!Karkat Vantas (Homestuck)

How bad can this possibly be, let's see~!
Yamia Ishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

I can not stress enough how HELPFUL this has been to me, and thanks to everyone who has kindly contributed some pointers and tips ^_^.

I'm not a con newbie by any means, but I'm only used to the cons here in Canada. Going to an American con for the first time, and first time at Katsu . The "where to eat" topic has been well addressed, but I have a slightly unrelated question of "where to shop"? Fellow canucks have asked if I could get some American goodies in the form of Wal-Greens/Mart merch or Sephora make-up. Would it be difficult to get to any of these stores? (I have no car...so transit and taxi are my only options)

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
gothicadam
Who me?

It's always fun dancing in a rave with no water-shot- hahaha but seriously drink water people i hate hearing every convention ive been too(katsu is my 14th convention) and hearing someone passed out on the floor or in the bathroom, its common sense dancing in a huge group makes u thirsty REALLY quick drink water beforehand and during and take some breaks. The music aint stopping till 4am here:XD
Xenmas Kingdon Hearts 100% Completed

My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/gothicadam

For my cosplay photos go to http://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870
[/size]
gothicadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyBunnyAngel View Post
I can not stress enough how HELPFUL this has been to me, and thanks to everyone who has kindly contributed some pointers and tips ^_^.

I'm not a con newbie by any means, but I'm only used to the cons here in Canada. Going to an American con for the first time, and first time at Katsu . The "where to eat" topic has been well addressed, but I have a slightly unrelated question of "where to shop"? Fellow canucks have asked if I could get some American goodies in the form of Wal-Greens/Mart merch or Sephora make-up. Would it be difficult to get to any of these stores? (I have no car...so transit and taxi are my only options)
http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/shopping.htm

^_^

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #26
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamia Ishtar View Post
Is that CVS in walking distance? :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyBunnyAngel View Post

The CVS, from my knowledge, is only a Mile or less away from the con. It isn't actually showing up on Google maps yet, but I'll check the site in a few days to double check if it's open yet or not, and keep ya'll posted.

As for your Canuck buddies, CVS is a pharmacy level equivalent to Walgreens, so they may have the much needed souvenirs. There's also a souvenir shop IN the gaylord, but I'd imagine their prices are a little bit sky-high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicadam View Post
It's always fun dancing in a rave with no water-shot- hahaha but seriously drink water people i hate hearing every convention ive been too(katsu is my 14th convention) and hearing someone passed out on the floor or in the bathroom, its common sense dancing in a huge group makes u thirsty REALLY quick drink water beforehand and during and take some breaks. The music aint stopping till 4am here:XD
PRETTY MUCH THIS! It cannot be stressed enough guys, DRINK LIQUIDS! EAT REGULARLY! If I hear of anyone passing out in the rave, I'ma roll up a newspaper and whack you with it. HARD! WITH LOVE! You've been warned!
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #27
gothicadam
Who me?

Also pock-pitting and stealing isn't common but it DOES happen so seriously KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR STUFF i can list for paragraphs different situation's ive seen my friends go through because they didn't keep an eye on their stuff.
Xenmas Kingdon Hearts 100% Completed

My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/gothicadam

For my cosplay photos go to http://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870
[/size]
gothicadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #28
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

@livingdeadgirl, thanks for the link! I'll keep it in mind for general souvenirs, and there looks like a few handy stores for any forgotten necessities

@NatureMade, thanks for the explanation of CVS! It looks like Wet n'Wild Makeup is distributed there so that's absolutely perfect! (we are looking for their new line of eyeshadow LOL) Definitely keep me posted on if there's one nearby or not.

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Yukashu

Hi. This is my first Katsucon and I have a question. How long is the line if you didn't pre-register? Because I've seen some super-duper long lines (for example, Otakon) and people wait for hours.
Yukashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukashu View Post
Hi. This is my first Katsucon and I have a question. How long is the line if you didn't pre-register? Because I've seen some super-duper long lines (for example, Otakon) and people wait for hours.
all depends on when you get there. I would say the line can be anywhere from 10 to 30 mins to even an hour or so. Nothing as bad as otakon's 2 and a half hour wait of doom! Also, Katsu has the luxury of having their line INSIDE the hotel, so you'll not have to worry about bearing the cold weather for the duration of waiting.