Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
ShinWHO
Welcome to Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMade View Post
IT'S THE CURSE OF THE GAYLORD CONVENTION CENTER I TELLS YA!

Honestly though, I remember this was the first con I went to with my Android device, and the battery not lasting for S*** any of the days I was there. I would say that it's most likely due to the fact that I was flipping it out every twelve seconds to text someone/take a picture of someone. But it is always a good idea to bring your charger with you, and plug your phone in over night to ensure a full battery for the day. [added to list!]

Darn smart phones. We're able to fit a laptop worth of power into the darn things, yet we can't even make a battery that lasts more than a days use for them @.@
At least it lasts a day...I have equipment where the battery doesn't even last 2 hours (glasses-free Real 3D camera anyone?). And there's one building where I work that knocks my phone into roaming even though there's a compatible cell tower right there. I assume this convention center does something similar.
But yeah, as others have said, on this thread! It's very helpful.
ShinWHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
seankn64

Are there any Subways/sub shops near the convention center? Those come in really handy for cons. This is my first Katsucon, so thanks for the tips.
seankn64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
ffviki
ValNika

I attended MAGFest in January, and there was lots of food within 10 minutes walking distance. There's a subway, baja fresh, a bakery, and lots of other restaurants. It was freezing at MAG, but according to the internet, this weekend will be in the 50s So 10 minutes of walking shouldn't be too bad
ffviki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
Viviane_neechan
تور&#16

I'm not a newbie, but I had COMPLETELY given up hope of finding a map of the Gaylord before getting to the con.

Thank you.

SO MUCH. o_o;; You have no idea how much this has helped me!
Viviane_neechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #35
DarakuTenshi

Bumping thread so it'll be seen =) I learned so much from this thread. Those maps were pure gold.

Fri - Illumi (Hunter X Hunter) 15% Complete
Sat - Aquamarine (Sakizou) 10% Complete
Sun - Libra (Fire Emblem Awakening) 0% Complete

My FB page
DarakuTenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #36
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Seriously guys, you're the best! I'm glad to see that after all this time, my thread is still super useful for you all <3
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukashu View Post
Hi. This is my first Katsucon and I have a question. How long is the line if you didn't pre-register? Because I've seen some super-duper long lines (for example, Otakon) and people wait for hours.
It really depends, but I would really recommend pre-registering. Last year I made the rookie mistake of going to regular registration on Saturday at about ten thirty and I waited in line for two and a half hours. So pre-reg=good idea!
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibierwin View Post
It really depends, but I would really recommend pre-registering. Last year I made the rookie mistake of going to regular registration on Saturday at about ten thirty and I waited in line for two and a half hours. So pre-reg=good idea!
I can pretty much confirm this. Katsu has a pretty big attendance rate now that we have the room for it, so pre-registering is essentially the best way to spend 30 minutes or less in line. Unless you can bother yourself to either show up by like, 8AM Friday or Saturday. Keeping in mind, that I don't think the lines open up until 9:30 or 10, and the wait itself will be quite a bore.
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #39
faraday48

This has been so helpful! This will be my first year going to Katsu and its nice to hear son of the specific quirks of this con in advance. One thing I've been wondering is what sort of events Katsu has aside from panels, guests and the masquerade; their site doesn't really give much info :-/
faraday48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
color
Phantom Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMade View Post
I can pretty much confirm this. Katsu has a pretty big attendance rate now that we have the room for it, so pre-registering is essentially the best way to spend 30 minutes or less in line. Unless you can bother yourself to either show up by like, 8AM Friday or Saturday. Keeping in mind, that I don't think the lines open up until 9:30 or 10, and the wait itself will be quite a bore.
It's funny because I've been to several cons where the line to pick up your preregistered ticket is almost always longer than for those that just buy it at the door. Are there separate lines at Katsucon?
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday48 View Post
This has been so helpful! This will be my first year going to Katsu and its nice to hear son of the specific quirks of this con in advance. One thing I've been wondering is what sort of events Katsu has aside from panels, guests and the masquerade; their site doesn't really give much info :-/
Based on what I know from previous years, there is a Manga Library, and a Gaming room [separate rooms for Video games and table-top/TCG]. I also know there is a Maid cafe run in the bottom restaurant. That is about all I can remember at the current time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
It's funny because I've been to several cons where the line to pick up your preregistered ticket is almost always longer than for those that just buy it at the door. Are there separate lines at Katsucon?
Last time I went [2011] there were seperate lines. And you're right, on Friday usually the line for pre-reg is pretty big as well, but keeping in mind that even if the lines are the same in length, pre-reg is moving faster cause all you gotta do is give em your name and money, they get you the badge, and you're on your way. There's no info entry needed, so you will spend less time in that line.
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #42
Hikarunogoluver

I've noticed no one's has mentioned that you should always bring a small sewing kit with you if your planning on cosplaying. They sell them at local pharmacy's for $10, sometimes more sometimes less. One year someone stepped on my train, and tore my dress right off of me! Also If you plan on wearing high heels or things that you know will leave you in blisters stock up on band aids. I always put a large band aid on the back of my foot and on my sides to prevent my feet from blistering. If it shows on your feet you always can wear the small ones.
Hikarunogoluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #43
TortureBunni
Living in a Dreamworld

Thanks so much! This is my first year attending Katsucon, so the maps are really helpful.

Convention Schedule 2014:
Katsucon
Otakon
TortureBunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
CSFilms
Filmmaker

The Gaylord Hotel has many, many perfect locations for photos. Here's an album of some pictures of the interior of the hotel.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bf1254d558
CSFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

If anyone is interested in more tips and tricks, I will be hosting Con Survival 101 at Katsucon this year. We're tentatively scheduled for 1:45 pm in Live 2. And I'll have either candy or cupcakes.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote