Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
ScarletNvrland
Coo-coo-cah-choo!

Creating Your (and staying in) Character

For those of you who cosplay as Disney Princes/Princesses how do you create your character? Do you stay true to the movie, or tend to lean toward a Disneyland/Disney World portrayal of your character?

For example:

Princess Jasmine in the movie is fiesty and independent; Princess Jasmine in the parks is very soft and Snow White-esque.

How do you tackle your character and how do you stay in character?
Bellatrix Lestrange: Harry Potter (5%)
Amber: Sucker Punch (0%)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Blue gown) (Commissioning)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Wedding Gown) (Commissioning)
Tia Dalma: Pirates of the Caribbean- Dead Man's Chest (0%)
Akasha: Queen of the Damned (0%)
Storm: X-Men Age of Apocalypse (0%)
ScarletNvrland is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
protectorkorii

I personally am a princess for a princess business. It really depends on the age group your looking at. Younger children definately prefer the 'snow white' type of character. It calms them. If they're older than you could go more with the movie version of Jasmine. You'd probably tone it down a little because she/you aren't in such a life threatning situation.

The best way to stay in character is just practice and think of different questions people would ask you. Like for Ariel: "Where are your fins?" if you are in her human form.
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
WonderlandAlice

I stay pretty true to the movies. I do quite a few birthday parties and events as fairytale characters. The thing I do for that is to watch any/all film versions available (in English) and read the original stories. This way I have a wealth of information to fall back on when people throw questions at you.

I think what was said above is very true in terms of the age of your audience. It is a matter of how far you want to take your character. If you are Belle, have you ever seen a digital camera and are you going to ask how your image became trapped in the box? Or are you going to accept your character is familiar the here and now reality.

Staying in character can be tricky. Backstory helps but truly enjoying your character is key. The more fun you are having the easier it is. I was at a 4 yr old's birthday party this past weekend as Alice with the Mad Hatter. The Bears and Packers football game was on. An older gentleman tried to get me to break character by asking if I was really from England, but instead I flipped it back on him and asked how the game was going. He said poorly and that the Bears had lost. To which the Hatter replied "What are "the Bears". I said "They are animals, of course. I believe they were playing a game against gentlemen who organize things."
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Aurora's Heart

I agree with the others. It can be kinda tricky,but I basically try to capture the manurisims and tone of voice. I used to talk too much as a child and when my parents got tired of it they had me sing. Well singing can get boring after awhile so, I challenged myself to try and mimic the singer. I do fairly well with the princesses and if I am cosplaying them I try and practice what they sound like. Is there voice soft and melodious, harsh, or a little edgy with some spirit in it. You also have to know your audience. I cosplayed as Tink last April and had a little girl aproach me in utter awe. I decided it would be far more memorable for her if I was sweet Tink instead of bratty Tink. I actually forgot all about having pixie dust on hand and apologized. I think I made something up to the effect that I ran out and that's why I had to walk everywhere. The next day I was able to put my hands on some and ended up running into her again. I sprinkled her with pixie dust and told her to make a wish, since no one can really fly. She loved it and her mom thought it was wonderful. In my Meg I kinda kept her saucy attitude front and center. When I stood anywhere, I always had my hands on my hip or arms crossed and usually jutted my hips to one side. I kinda kept her face aloof but tried to play as she would in each circumstance. When possing for pics it was always one hand on the hip and a sorta mild "do you wanna mess with me" look or an "I'm bored" look. I say stick to the movie version and most people will love it. Sometimes it's hard to translate a characters persoanlity correctly for the parks.

If you are dealing with children they can be a little shy so, getting down to their level (as best as possible in a gown) really helps and I think it's something the character would always do.
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
marinarasauce

Absolutely agreed. I do princess parties too! How fun to see others. Anyway, younger kids don't know the nuances of the character as well, so it's better to just be all-around gentle with them. But for older kids, DEFINITELY amp up the character more - but it's really hard to toe the line between sassy and obnoxious, so be on your guard.
And I advise not acknowledging that the character is in movies and stuff. If a kid mentions it, you just say "How wonderful!" or something and steer away from the subject. With grown-ups, same thing. It's more fun if you just completely ignore reality. And Alice - so cute!!
marinarasauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
redsheep

I'm doing Snow White and Snow in the parks is pretty similiar to the film, but there are some differences. Snow in the parks is almost hyper, and high-pitched, and cute. In the film, she's a little more calm and motherly. I personally like the park version because she has a more interesting personality and it fits my personality more. For her, either personality is fine for kids, so it's just a matter of preference. I like perky Snow because both Aurora and Cinderella tend to toe the line of "stereotypical princess" and it sets her apart a bit more.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
CafedeDuy

For Peter Pan, I've no idea how I am on the voice.
But I keep his poses a lot even when I know there's no camera around me.
I move around like he does.

As for his personality, I like the mix of the park version and the film. The park actors gives more depth into the character using what they know about him, so I do the same thing.
For my Peter, I'm a bit rude, cause he IS a bit rude and selfish.
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
toughtink

i've been wondering a lot about this. i'd like to be an in-character tink, but...she's just got so many different characterizations. there's the original source material (the book), Disney's Peter Pan, a couple of other Peter Pan movies/spinoffs (like Hook), the more recent Tinker Bell series of movies, and then there's how she acts in the parks. obviously, i'm sticking to the Disney versions of Tink, but even then! There's the sweet/sassy/possessive version of her in the original Peter Pan movie who doesn't talk and merely tinks, and then there's the new talking version who is sweet and still a little hot headed, but not quite as sultry or extreme as the original. and then in the parks, she has the attention span of a squirrel. i get that she's supposed to be kind of flighty, but whoa, some of the park Tinks are completely ADD. i'm just not sure which way to go when i pose for photos...
toughtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
WonderlandAlice

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtink View Post
i've been wondering a lot about this. i'd like to be an in-character tink, but...she's just got so many different characterizations. there's the original source material (the book), Disney's Peter Pan, a couple of other Peter Pan movies/spinoffs (like Hook), the more recent Tinker Bell series of movies, and then there's how she acts in the parks. obviously, i'm sticking to the Disney versions of Tink, but even then! There's the sweet/sassy/possessive version of her in the original Peter Pan movie who doesn't talk and merely tinks, and then there's the new talking version who is sweet and still a little hot headed, but not quite as sultry or extreme as the original. and then in the parks, she has the attention span of a squirrel. i get that she's supposed to be kind of flighty, but whoa, some of the park Tinks are completely ADD. i'm just not sure which way to go when i pose for photos...
The thing about Tink is that she can only feel one emotion at a time. Hence, the moodiness. I'd say for Tink if you feel a particular emotion go with it full force until you switch to another one: joy, annoyance, flirty....
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
CafedeDuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtink View Post
When you pose, pose it accordingly to Tink's emotions (which is only one emotion at a time). So I say any pose at all if you want! She doesn't exactly have one iconic pose, so do as you please!
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Limeyaku
First-Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletNvrland View Post
For those of you who cosplay as Disney Princes/Princesses how do you create your character? Do you stay true to the movie, or tend to lean toward a Disneyland/Disney World portrayal of your character?

For example:

Princess Jasmine in the movie is fiesty and independent; Princess Jasmine in the parks is very soft and Snow White-esque.

How do you tackle your character and how do you stay in character?
the jasmine i met was snarky and kinda stuck up. XD i didn't mind though as she was basically perfect in every way. *envy*
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Seifer-sama

I don't really have anything to add to this thread since I am still currently working on my one Disney cosplay, but I was very curious about the subject. I must say this was an interesting and insightful read. I think it's wonderful that so many of your really take the time to be in character and remain in character.

@ WonderlandAlice: I absolutely loved your response to the football game.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
MissAriel

I have a great fear of a child asking me to sing...
MissAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
toughtink

i'm considering bringing bells with me so that i can have an authentic "tinking" sound for when i dress as Tink.
toughtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Lotte000

One word:
Research!

I try to do as much research as I can. I read books associated with my character, obviously watch movies, study where my characters come from, what time period and culture they're from, and try to correlate all of these things with the tid-bits of personality we get to see in the original films and develop that into a full-blown persona, and then just think about all those elements and how my character would react when placed in the situations I'm placed when I'm in costume
Lotte000 is offline   Reply With Quote