Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Unread 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
SailorEarth
I have many skills

Catwoman's Cowl- Fabric or Sculpted? (Batman Returns)

I always thought it was the same fabric as the suit but now that I'm examining it closer it's starting to look more and more like it's sculpted. I found this article that talks about the stitches on the entire costume being cast rubber, but it makes no mention of the cowl. The reproduction was made from garment grade sheet rubber and it was glued instead of sewn. I assume the original was also sheet rubber but it doesn't really specify.

In this shot it looks like the part that goes over the bridge of her nose conforms very well to the side of her nose. I would think if it were fabric it'd make a more or less straight line from the bridge of her nose to her cheek bone, leaving a gap where it doesn't touch the skin. Would sheet rubber be able to conform to her face like that?

In this shot the edges of the cowl around the eyes look a little "thick" for lack of a better word. More like what the edge of a Halloween mask might look like versus a cloth cowl. Again, I suppose sheet rubber could also look like that but having never worked with it I can't be sure.

Hopefully some of you movie buffs out there will know what her original cowl was made of. If not, I may try emailing the original costume designer and the designer who did the reproduction. Who knows, I might just get an answer!
SailorEarth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

I would say it's probably sculpted and cast in rubber as one piece, separate form the suit, like a Batman cowl, from the way it looks in the film. Either it's attached to the back of the suit's neck with the same glue used for the sheet rubber, or the suit has a "fabric" (sheet rubber, in this case) thinner cowl that covers the head underneath the cast one. But I don't think there's a way you could get that effect with sheet rubber by itself - especially with the seamless looking ears, and the fact that all the seams on the cowl look decorative rather than functional.
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Ranma 1-2

The cowl looks to be made similar to Batmans cowl, a seperate silicone rubber casting - the process starts with a plaster life cast of Michelle's head, onto this they and then sculpt the cowl using clay, a two piece mould is then made of this and finally the mould is used to make the slicone rubber casting of the cowl. This way it has a rigidity to hold its form and fits the wearer exactly. Although..if you listen to the costume maker they still had to make lots of alterations so that the cowl did not pinch onto Michelle's face..

watch especially at 1:48 B - Making of Batman Returns costumes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5-EMrTQ1bY&NR=1
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote