Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Yukikittie

Band

Hello fellow band nerds/geeks!

In general, what is your band like?
How long have you been in band?
What do you play/what did you play in the past?
Do you enjoy it?
What was your marching band show for this year?
What are you working on now in your band?
Free to add anything else. <3

My band is full of really great people who are outgoing and fun to hang around. And with my Freshman group we've been accepted with open arms. <3

I've been in band since the 5th grade, at first I was a trumpet. Then in the end of 8th grade my band director said we needed more low brass for next year's high school band. So now I'm a baritone! (And proud, go low brass!)

I don't mind band, it's not my favorite class but the people make it worth it.

Our marching band show was called "Among the Clouds" and consisted of three songs, "Walking on Sunshine", another song in the middle that was rather slow tempo and had long drawn out half notes whose name I forgot, and "Come Sail Away." Pretty awesome, we got a one at the rating show we went to. (Our final rating show is hosted by the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association, or MSBOA. Usually at a rather large school.)

Now we are preparing for our next MSBOA competition, thank god it's concert band and not marching this time! We're working on three pieces called, "New Forest March", "Celebration Song", and "The Great Locomotive Chase." Can't wait for our spring concert! <3<3

Our summer concert is the on the thursday of the weekend of Anime Central. How sucky. Usually we have our concerts on Wednesday.

Unread 01-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

I was in band from the 4th grade up into high school. I never took it to college though. I played the trumpet for my entire musical career. I unfortunately do not play it anymore, but I still have it in my closet. I'd love to take it up again, or the piano since we have one as well, but I've never really got around to it. I really do miss playing the main theme to Jurassic Park and the song "Louie Louie". Great pieces to play the trumpet on.

I never did buy myself a silver trumpet. I started with a cornet trumpet, then moved on to a full sized one, but it's gold. I've always had a thing for a silver one. Perhaps if I take it up again for fun, I'll invest in one.

Last edited by Eau de Decus : 01-30-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
shadowdragon13
Dont mess with the Dragon

My band has a lot of really talented players. It's quite an honnor to get to play with them.
I've been in band since I was 10 years old. I'm about to turn 22 so it's almost been 12 years and I still continue to play to this day.
I play the Trumpet, but I also play various mallet and battery percussion instruments and I played the French Horn for 3 years in high school.
Oh yes I enjoy it very much.
I'm not in a Marching Band. We're a Concert Band.
Currently there is no band. We don't resume until March.
Liza (Pokemon R/S/E) - 100%

2014 Cons: Anime California, Comikaze (maybe), Bent Con (maybe), Nuke the Fridge con.
shadowdragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Yukikittie

Oh my god, trumpet's galore! xD
Louie Louie and Jurassic Park are both super fun to play, I agree!
Not having a marching band? So lucky, while marching band builds character... It is a lot of hard work! French horn is epic, the mouth piece is sooo small though. >x<
I can't really play the trumpet much anymore, sometimes I'll take my acquaintance's trumpet and play it. I can only play the high notes now, the low notes/anything below a E I can't play. ;A;
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

There is a music forum for threads like this, which this thread will most likely be moved to.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I took music class (flute) from Grade 9 through 12 and played in the concert band, as well as piano lessons; so, all of high school, and then graduated from college after studying music. (It was pretty much a course that crammed four years of a university music degree with general arts and multimedia educaton into a two-year college program. Our dropout rate was over 75% because it was so demanding...36 people in first semester, just eight of us graduated.)
Though go figure, now that I don't have an academic reason to keep playing my piano or flute, I haven't played them in aaaaaages. Like, years ages. It's a shame, but I can't make myself play with no reason to play. (as in, don't have to go to applied lessons, or in a band, or such.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
shadowdragon13
Dont mess with the Dragon

@Yukikittie: Now in College I'm not in Marching Band cuz there is none. But in High School I was in Marching Band the whole time I was there. I agree it does build character, and its a lot of hard work, but so much fun. Some of my happiest memories are from my days in the High School Marching band. We were like a family.
I've had to rebuild my embouchure twice these past 2 years because I had braces. It's terrible having braces and playing a wind instrument. My range dropped a whole octave because of them. I did build a new embouchure with them in a year but then I got them off and it was back to square one again. It was the most frustrating part of my musical carrer and I'm still rebuilding my range now. I can hit up to the A above the staff but I still want to get back to how I was in high school, hitting the D, and then keep working from there.
Liza (Pokemon R/S/E) - 100%

2014 Cons: Anime California, Comikaze (maybe), Bent Con (maybe), Nuke the Fridge con.
shadowdragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Ichigo Knight

TROMBONE, BRO. IT'S THE GOD OF ALL INSTRUMENTS.

But seriously, my band's bamf. We play the Final Countdown and everything. And we have shirts, which read Banned For Life.

Edit: Also, we have no marching bands in Australia. We just sit on chairs, like normal people. Although it'd actually be pretty cool to be in a marching band, I think. It sounds too hard for me D:
Ichigo Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

I played alto sax from 6th grade through 12th. I know one of the years our marching band performed Les Miserable and another year we did Firebird Suite. I want to say there was something involving Dante's Inferno for one of the years... but it's been so long since high school, that I can't remember what was going on with that one.

I hated marching band practice but you had to be in marching band in order to perform in concert band. I do not miss practicing in the sweltering heat of August with no water breaks. The competition trips were always fun, though.
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

I played Euphonium / Baritone from 6th-12th grade.

I mostly had a pretty fun time and met many friends through band. The one thing I don't miss is having to be on the field for marching band practice 7AM every morning through football season. I'm not sure how I did that.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
C. Marie

I started on clarinet in 5th grade. Moved to oboe in middle school and stayed on it till I graduated from college. In marching band I did percussion though. Dabbled in a few other instruments, but I've also played piano since early elementary school and did some Final Fantasy music for my senior recital ^_^

Future -
Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Jadzia Dax
C. Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
izuosve

---

Last edited by izuosve : 06-29-2011 at 06:01 PM.
izuosve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Ma3ta
Beast

In general, what is your band like?
Fun! In all the bands I've been in they're all very funny!!
In Middle School: Nobody was really that close
In High School: Everyone was pretty close since we were a small band of 30 They were also very respectful and mature
College: Super, Super Fun but things can be a little out of hand and since it's a 200 piece band not everyone knows each other but section bonding is good
How long have you been in band?
5.5 Years! 1 in Middle 4 In High School 1/2 in College!
What do you play/what did you play in the past?
Clarinet, then a little bit of percussion, then Bass Clarinet for 95% of the time I was in band lol
Do you enjoy it?
Of Course! I wouldn't be in it for so long if I didn't!
What was your marching band show for this year?
We had the Buddy Rich Show as well as some other stuff like Heart- Crazy on You separate Number last semester
What are you working on now in your band?
I'm not in any of the Concert Bands in my college so nothing XP and I don't know what the director is planning for next year's marching band
Ma3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo Knight View Post
We play the Final Countdown and everything.
We did the Final Countdown in my band as well. That was actually the best part of band - pep band. Going to the football and basketball games with all your friends, playing music, sneaking your boyfriend and non-band friends in the games for free, and just having a good time.

My other favorite thing to play was anything by Camille Saint-Saens, like Danse Macabre and Bacchanale.

I played drums by the way, but I'm learning bass guitar now on my own. I miss band.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
Yukikittie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
There is a music forum for threads like this, which this thread will most likely be moved to.
D8! I... I'm sorry! It never occurred to me that this would go in the music forum!