Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

Hello everyone Tiana Lilypad Wedding Dress + Poca

Hello everyone! I'm new to Disney Cosplay and I just wanted to say hello. I will be going to Middle Tennessee Anime Convention in April and I wanted to wear a Tiana cosplay of her Lilypad Wedding dress.

I am hoping to get it commissioned but it looks like every price I see is all up in the $400's. I'm a rookie so I'm unaware of costs but do you think it's possible to someone to find someone to commission Tiana's lilypad dress for around $170-$280 dollars?

I don't know many people here so I don't know who to talk to about this. I also have shelfs of manga and lots of anime DVD collections so if you know anyone willing to trade that I could be referred to I would be up for that too. I could afford a higher cost in that case.

Also I need some advice on making Tiana's crown (Lilypad outfit). I'll be customizing her shoes too.

Also I am going to do a Dr. Facilier cosplay that I will make completely so I'll probably begin looking for parts of his outfit at vintage stores and such.

Lastly, I'm thinking about sewing my own Pocahontas cosplay outfit. But I have no idea where to start, I have a friend with a sewing machine I could use. Any suggestions for me?

Thank you all already I'm really excited to start my first Disney cosplay!
MicMic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
ScarletNvrland
Coo-coo-cah-choo!

Hello!

I'm in the process of searching for a Lilypad dress as well! This dress is really intricate so to find someone who will be willing to do it for less than $300 (before shipping) is a great find! There are a few women on here who do the Tiana gown.

http://www.cosplay.com/member/2824
http://www.cosplay.com/member/43278/

And Betty Gates also does the Tiana gown:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&id=1814642406

Those three are your best bet! I'm trying to decide which one to go through myself! Welcome!
Bellatrix Lestrange: Harry Potter (5%)
Amber: Sucker Punch (0%)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Blue gown) (Commissioning)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Wedding Gown) (Commissioning)
Tia Dalma: Pirates of the Caribbean- Dead Man's Chest (0%)
Akasha: Queen of the Damned (0%)
Storm: X-Men Age of Apocalypse (0%)
ScarletNvrland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

Me too I've looked through all of your posts and that's how I actually got to this point. Right now Betty Gates is my best bet and I might see if I can work out some kind of deal with her.

Though I wish I could find someone to trade something with so I could knock off $100 bucks or so and I'd be at $280 or something. I'm really excited about your Tia Dalma outfit too it looks like a lot of fun! Yeah I'm getting to understand the costs so I know the costume doesn't come cheap but still I can't go too high up there.

Tell me what do you think of this one?
http://www.****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam****.com/product/Tia...an d+the+Frog

I'm looking at it and the things I'm thinking about are the material, that kind of curly and the not straight yellow leaves at the bottom. I wondered if I might commission them to see if they can offer anything less expensive but still high quality. I'd prefer though that my money goes to a small business as I want to support cosplayers who really good but just kind of starting out. So I'd be willing to pay a tad more.
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

GAH! It ate mi post! >< Oh well yes I've been looking through the forum and all of your posts have helped me out so much! I think I might try and work out a deal with Betty Gates because I want to help support her business.

I'm really excited about your Tia Dalma costume too!
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
ScarletNvrland
Coo-coo-cah-choo!

Betty Gates is awesome! I originally commissioned a Tiana dress from her, but fell into financial hardships and couldn't afford it. She made another dress that's in my size. It's beautiful, but it's a bit much for my budget, so I'm thinking of commissioning from Nessabutterfly I could forward you the email with the dress. Maybe you could get her to knock the price down a bit. The gown is gorgeous!
Bellatrix Lestrange: Harry Potter (5%)
Amber: Sucker Punch (0%)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Blue gown) (Commissioning)
Princess Tiana: Princess and the Frog (Wedding Gown) (Commissioning)
Tia Dalma: Pirates of the Caribbean- Dead Man's Chest (0%)
Akasha: Queen of the Damned (0%)
Storm: X-Men Age of Apocalypse (0%)

Last edited by ScarletNvrland : 01-30-2011 at 04:10 PM.
ScarletNvrland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
nessabutterfly

I'm one of the seamstresses that Scarlet mentioned. I would offer my services, but I'm getting ready to make a big move and will be shutting down commissions for a few months. I hope you can find someone to make the dress for you in time.

As far as pricing, the price should reflect the quality and detail. I've seen some costumes priced around $200 (or even much less) that aren't worth near that much, but others selling the same character's costume for $1000 and it would be worth every penny (if you had that sort of money laying around, that is!) Sometimes you can work with a seamstress, tell them your budget, and they can work the amount of detail around that. I have done quite a bit of that in the past-- Sometimes it's the difference between using fabric paint or embroidering details, or a detailed beadwork pattern could be simplified, etc. For Tiana, the middle layer of the skirt could be ommitted (there are 3 of them!) or a premade flower applique/broach could be used instead of a hand-made water-lily.

Of course, then the amount the seamstress charges per estimated hour of work will vary. I price commissions by estimating the amount of fabric needed (or if I've made that costume before, just looking back at how much it actually took), then breaking down the parts of the costume and figuring out how much time it will make. Then that time is multiplied by the hourly amount and added to the estimated cost of the fabric. How much a seamstress charges per hour will vary based on many variables like how much demand there is for their services and where they see their quality level. I am able to charge less right now because I only officially went into business last year. Until I build up a decent portfolio of commissioned costumes, rather than just my own, I don't plan to charge much. Once I have a better portfolio and more business (especially if I have more requests than time), my price will go up. If you want to take a peek, my business page is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nessab...38363899532291 Feel free to "like" it. I'd love to work with you in the future if my schedule allows.

Now, as for Pocahantas advice, fabric-wise, a fake suede like this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd728336 is a great choice. It doesn't fray, so you can get away with not finishing the edges, and would work well for the fringed trim on the dress. It also comes in the right colour-pallet for Pocahantas, and is quite affordable. I rarely use patterns (I drape directly on my dressform), so I'm not much help in picking patterns. Does the friend who owns the machine sew? If so, pick her brain on how to get started. See if she can teach you the basics. Or you could try to take a basic sewing class at Joann or another local fabric store. Often, the class instructors get excited about helping you figure out a project.

Good luck!
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

thank you!

Oh man I would have loved to commission you! I understand that you are moving though. If you ever change your mind I won't need it til April yip yay!

I very much appreciate you leaving me such a long and lovely comment. I bet I can work with Betty to see if I can make those changes that you have talked about.

Will taking out the middle layer of skirt affect the outfit much? Since you suggested it I'm sure that it probably won't.

I'm going to go through some of the commissioners who are just starting but still have nice work and ask them if they are willing to make the outfit. I'm also going to try to sell my old prom dress to get a little extra money.

But oh I really hope to find some commissioners who are willing to do some trades. Since I have so much anime stuff.

I know this is a weird question but can you get fake teeth anywhere? Like the kind that just go over your teeth. Because I hate the gap in my teeth and my overbite and I hoped that I could somehow fix it temporarily for a costume hehe^^

Also how are the GEO contacts? I wanted to buy some for the Tiana costume maybe I'll pick an interesting color I don't know if I want to pick brown. Are they ok for your eyes or are all the rumors true?
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
nessabutterfly

Fake teeth are called "flippers" I know a lot of girls who do pageants wear them, so maybe that will help your search.

I really wish I could take on your commission, but we're moving cross-country and will be in temporary housing for a month. I won't have access to all of my sewing supplies, or even space to work, most likely. I'll only be starting to sew again by the beginning of April.

As for taking out the middle skirt, that would be the while flower-petal layer. It's probably $30-40 of fabric and about $40-50 of labour. It would mean you would have a plain white/cream skirt under the green leaf skirt. It wouldn't be quite accurate to the movie, but would still look beautiful. And it would make the dress a LOT lighter! It would probably cut back on shipping costs a little bit too!
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

Aww don't worry I understand^^ I just love helping to support kind people. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. After avid searching dun dun duah! I found someone!

KiwiNinamori is an excellent cosplayer and a wonderful dress maker. She quoted me a really great deal and she makes some seriously lovely dresses. I think I will end up using her for my Tiana dress.

ScarletNvrland if you like her work maybe you should try commissioning her.
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
MicMic
MTAC 2011 Tiana

Another post just in case anyone is still reading this but I do need just a slight tad more help. I have commissioned someone else instead but I don't much about petticoats or corsets or things like that. Is there anything I should specifically ask for so my dress isn't painful or too heavy?
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Cynthia

If you're looking to do this version of Tiana:
http://themeparkmom.com/wp-content/u...6ar_0275ms.jpg

The fabric would probably set you back about $100-$200 alone. The dress also requires a hoop skirt, and it's the most complicated princess dress in the park now that Giselle's Wedding dress is no longer being utilized--there's about 6 hoops in her hoop skirt. The skirt is made up of multiple pieces alone and her crown is porcelain. The good thing about her out fit is that the costumers who designed this dress went with cheaper fabrics, so all the fabrics you see can pretty much be bought at Joann's. (Unlike Aurora's & Cindy's dresses who have copyrighted brocades that make up most of their dresses.)

The dress doesn't need a heavy corset, a bustier along the interior would work much better, so you can get away with plastic boning because that's all it really needs.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote