Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
aznaphrodite

Cosplay & anime shops in Osaka

I'm going to be visiting Osaka at the end of March. I hear Den Den Town has a lot of anime shops now but can anyone recommend a specific place (or even intersection) in Den Den Town I should check out? Also, are there any good cosplay shops (looking more for costumes, not wigs)?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 01-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

We can show you around if you like, provided it's a weekend. Shops are a bit difficult to pinpoint unless you know where they are.

There actually isn't all that much in DenDen Town volume-wise (in terms of cosplay anyway) ~ through the K-books and Lashingbang in the Melon Books building both have racks of used costumes and a few wigs/accessories on sale (unfortunately, at prices that make one hiss through one's teeth >.< ) Animate/ACOS has new Prichara wigs, goods and costumes. Geestore! is tucked away on a back street and carries COSPA costume items, Tantrap bagged costumes and ocaisionally m.i.a. brand Touhou costumes. There is a Cospatio upstairs. Good luck affording anything there.

Mandarake in Amemura (near Umeda and Shinsaibashi) has the largest used costume and wig selection and the best selection of all the Mandarakes I've ever been to (Tokyo included). The prices are also a lot more reasonable on average. Nearby is Bodyline, with a VERY cheap cosplay shop on the 2nd floor, Prisila's HQ (wigs) and Lovepop Studio (Alice Forest, Alice Garden wigs, Venus Eyes contacts). The Shinsaibashi shopping arcade is also GOLDEN for cheap dramatic shoes, socks/tights, underthings and crazy accessories.

Layered/JAIL has a wig shop in the Osaka ATC building and sponsors the most popular and populated cosplay events in the area. There's an event almost every weekend and the shop can only really be practically visited when attending (or wading through) ^^;

If you're willing to pay 450 yen and ride a train for 30 minutes, there's a secondary geek-town in Kobe (Sannomiya) with another Animate/ACOS sattelite shop, and another more reasonable Lashinbang with a smaller selection but better sales. If you're in the market for laid-back anime/manga shopping, I like the atmosphere of Kobe's geekland more than DenDen Town. There's less sprawl, but a lot less people to shove through and the atmosphere is pleasantly local in comparison. (there's a Yellow Submarine, 3 Animate shops, my favorite Toranoana, a Gamers, a Boys Love drama/game shop, a Lashinbang, a Melon Books, a few capsule markets, a game shop or two, several card shops, a maid/goth seamstress, some figure/retro toy stores, and a buttload of tiny hole-in-the-wall arcades etc.) If DenDen Town is Osaka's Akiba, Kobe is it's Nakano.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 01-31-2011 at 05:18 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
shortsheik

Kira pretty much said it all. I highly recommend Mandarake in Amemura for one-stop browsing, especially if you're short on time. They have it all - costumes, figures, doujinshi, manga, etc. The store there is relatively new (and so much better than their old one). Amemura itself is pretty cool for a bit of atmosphere as well.

If you have more time and are very dedicated in your pursuit, then I'd go after Den Den Town and/or Kobe. K's Books is pretty good in Den Den Town if you're after doujinshi, which is the one thing Kobe is lacking (at least so far as used books go). That said, it really is a fantastic Toranoana there.

I'm only about a 3 hour bus ride from Osaka and less than that from Kobe. More than happy to take a weekend to get out of the countryside in the late spring.

(A side note - DenDen Town has a very large capsule toy store called Super Position, with utterly ridiculous prices. >> Be wary.)

So, in conclusion:

Osaka highlights
Amemura - Mandarake awesomeness, Bodyline, Prisila's HQ (wigs), Lovepop Studio, shopping arcade
DenDen Town - K's Books, Lashingbang, Melon Books... Animate, Geestore!

Kobe highlights
Sannomiya - Animate, Lashinbang, Gamers, Boys Love drama/game shop, a Melon Books, shopping arcade

And more of course.

Last edited by shortsheik : 02-01-2011 at 03:49 AM.
shortsheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
aznaphrodite

Thanks for your help, both of you!! Which location of Mandarake is the Amemura location?

http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/osk.html
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/gcs.html

Thanks again!
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
shortsheik

The second one, here: http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/gcs.html

We actually just returned from an Osaka weekend and, as usual, indulged too much in the shopping!
shortsheik is offline   Reply With Quote