Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AM˛

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
thetrueking

AM^2 problems and suggestions

Since people are trying to silence me over at the AM2 forums, I’ll let people know here that Derf Tang or Delta over on those forums and Elcapitan over here cosplay forums is being very war monger like just like Brian Raker was for Anime Expo. I posted some internal problems because I am a staff member and wanted to express an opinion, which has been ignored interally, so I felt people should know. The IT department there is run by a person named Michael Fronk who thus far has decided that his department is more better run by himself only, refusing to ask for outside help when it was obvious that he needs it. The current AM^2 website is the product of over 6 months of work because he himself promised to finish the website back in October and November, while our old Club2TheMax website was still up, but after countless broken promises and lies by him, he finally has put this one up, which apparently has countless issues, especially when one of my friends who is an exhibitor tried to apply for a booth and the system overcharged him. I make a post about this on the forums hoping to get the staff members to do something about what Michael Fronk is doing in hope that the higher-ups would make some kind of changes. If you guys take a look at the website, you will notice that the staff applications and volunteer applications are still not up, many pages point to dead links, yet they have put up a registration system to charge people. When you want to sell a product, especially a new convention, don’t you think you should try to have better publicity. I like the people that are working in this convention, basically almost everyone that ran AX is over here, but this new IT guy has such a huge ego that only he can do things correctly and our current website is the result..

I think that something definitely needs to be done about the IT department, so things like guest of honor announcements and staffing applications can be put up. I am well aware that a lot of the information is already in Michael’s hands, but he refuses to take time to post it himself and when other people make comments about his work, he just blows them off and says he is “busy.” As with Anime Expo, there are internal problems going on at this convention and it seems even if I bring it up in the forums, they either delete my post or try to silence me even though I AM a current staff member

So the main thing here is that there are problems with AM2 convention and my take is that there needs to be some internal organization with IT. What other suggestions do you have for this new convention? I know there are concerts, cosplay gatherings, etc, but nothing fully organized yet!
thetrueking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
daylight
Sugar Junkie

I do agree that the site needs work, I think everyone agrees with that, especially at this point with the con only 5 months away, but they say they are working on it so hopefully the issue will be dealt with soon.
you were a but harsh with your post on the AM^2 forum, I know that you were just trying to voice your opinion, but it could have been put in a nicer way, like maybe the way you put it in this thread.
I think you just got allot of unhappy and negative responses because it was such a negative post.
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
ElCapitan
Dictator

Since you're starting this up all again, I'll repost the entire thread so people don't have to leave the thread to get the whole story. First, you were not ignored. I went out of my way to give you a friendly response in spite of your antagonistic post, and then you threw a tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted fast enough. Second, you got an infraction because you kept trolling even after being warned twice to keep things civil. Third, your last post got modded because you posted information from internal discussions out for the public to see.

If you were the employee of any formal corporation, you would have been fired on the spot, and quite possibly sued. Instead you got a slap on the wrist, and now you're throwing another hissy fit. Even after all this crap, including your post here, and flaming me in a PM, I haven't banned you. Even after all your immature and inappropriate behavior, I'm STILL giving you chances you clearly don't deserve.

Finally, you never stated until today (after your infraction) that you are staff, and your post history does not support that claim. Who are you, and what department are you in? I don't recognize your face offhand (assuming your avatar is actually you), and I know a good portion of the staff on sight. If you are on staff, why isn't your "Vermiform" account over there marked as staff? My identity and affiliations are common knowledge here. What are YOU hiding from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermiform
You guys really need to step up your game. I'm sure this post will be deleted because it is negative, but I am speaking the truth. Your website not only has many broken links but also contains countless typos and the navigation system is horrible. It is very hard to navigate in the flip down windows to get the necessary information.

Next, plenty of pages look like someone took notepad or microsoft work and pasted it directly into the webpage. I am a website maker and programmer myself so I know what that looks like. It would have taken a few extra minutes to make it look more uniform.

Your new registration pages look like it was thrown together at the last minute. There are countless grammatical errors and capitalization errors. Someone can't even spell additional right or did not bother to proofread. The registration page has no capitalization and the font is unimpressive. Your addresses and text on the benefits page are all clumped to the side of the screen and hard to read. All the text looks the same.

It really looks to me and to others that this was thrown together at the last minute and still not complete. Why would anyone register for something that has no information up? This is very irresponsible and unprofessional business practice. Your prices on the registration page doesn't even reflect the special prices you have listed. The gray background underneath your squished registration page makes it look even more unprofessional and novice. You have no terms and conditions.. step it up.
Quote:
Your website wants to charge me 45 dollars for a three day pass while the website clearly states that the price is 35 dollars. Do you not have anyone to proofread or the lone IT person not check his work? What you have right now is very simple and not time consuming to code so you should have taken the time to test and check for functional errors.

Again this adds to my unprofessional argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta
Even negative feedback is valuable. I certainly won't be deleting this thread, so long as it doesn't degenerate into flaming. There has been a lot of talk among staff as well regarding improvements to be made on the website. Thanks for sharing your opinions with us, we'll be working on getting all the concerns you've mentioned here (as well as those from our internal discussion) addressed as soon as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizukage
Thank you for your feedback. We have addressed the issue regarding registration prices. The pricing now properly reflects the listed prices.
Quote:
I am glad that you are responding to my feedback and have fixed the pricing, but that was not the only thing that I commented on. Formatting errors and spelling typos continue to be blatantly displayed on the website and many pages have broken links. I understand some of the information is still forthcoming, but I honestly cannot believe so much is missing. Having to mouseover the navigation menu to access certain pages is confusing enough and compounded by dead links and under construction pages.

Someone really needs to take 20 minutes and look through every page and fix spelling errors and aesthetics. The site is really underwhelming to look at which is reflective of your convention. I have thr support of and am friends with several of your staff members saying that Michael Fronk your lone IT person refuses other peoples help and when you do send information to him, he doesn't respond nor listens to you. I have also heard that this tattered and website that could have been made in a few hours has taken him many months to do yet there are still a lot of errors and does not look professional.

You guys either need to hire another more competent IT department or get people to help him out because he clearly is not getting the job done and your website is not even up to par comparing to other small con websites.

"Aditional" is spelled additional.

Thuy

This is pushing the edge of flaming. Please keep your criticism civil. Verbal warning, no infraction.
-Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizukage
I can understand your misgivings, and we're working to address your concerns. The links aren't working. It's bad, yes. They are placeholders for upcoming information. There are errors in spelling yes. We'll be working to correct that in the near future.

You're very vocal about your concerns and we appreciate that. You should encourage the staff members as well to interact with IT and have them voice their concerns as well.
Quote:
The staff members that I know have been speaking up. I am well aware of the communications or non communications that people have been having with IT, so it is easy to tell the misgivings that are occuring. I hope some progress regarding this was made at your staff meeting, like someone talked to him personally.
Quote:
This was indeed addressed at the meeting. I brought it up myself.
Quote:
I understand you say it was brought up at the meeting, but how can it be that you are taking my feedback seriously when I pointed out a blatant typo and you guys are doing nothing about it?

Seriously it takes 5 seconds to log in, fix the typo, and log out.
Quote:
We're having our team review the entire site and build a list of corrections/improvements, for the sake of being thorough. Fixing a single minor typo isn't going to drastically alter the user experience. It's incredibly inefficient to run around changing random things (and then needing to go back later for other stuff you missed). It is much better to be systematic and thorough. As a web designer, you should know that.

Seriously dude, chill. It's been four days. We are real people here, with real lives outside of con. The fact that we didn't instantly fix every single thing you disliked about the website doesn't mean that we're ignoring you. Have a little patience.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AM˛ 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
ElCapitan
Dictator

From another thread:

Quote:
What is the difference between volunteer and staff?

There is absolutely no information about this on your website and its only about five months until the convention. Hard to imagine why it is taking so long.
Quote:
Staffers are people for whom the first priority in regards to the convention is their work. Staff are analogous to employees in a typical corporate structure, and they are the long term workers that get everything done, pre-con, at-con, and post-con. Staff get a lot of perks, but put in a lot of time to earn those perks.

Volunteers are attendees who work for AM^2 in a limited capacity. The first priority of a volunteer is typically their convention experience. The work they do is just one part of that experience, and often undertaken for the sake of improving other aspects of their time spent at con. Volunteers have a lot more freedom than staff, but get fewer benefits.

It is taking this long because there is a lot of work involved. Assuming you aren't trolling, it's a pretty safe bet that you haven't had much convention experience. Since you didn't seem to get it when I responded to your rant earlier, I'll just quote myself below:

Delta wrote:Seriously dude, chill. It's been four days. We are real people here, with real lives outside of con. The fact that we didn't instantly fix every single thing you disliked about the website doesn't mean that we're ignoring you. Have a little patience.

Also, I'm going to remind you again to cool off your antagonistic tone. Your question is perfectly valid and welcomed, but you need to keep your posting civil.
Quote:
Thank you for the information. It seems like the same as AX.

As for my antagonistic tone, sometimes some push is needed. I have inside information... [text deleted]

And that information should stay internal. It is inappropriate for you to have such information in the first place, and even more inappropriate to be posting it publicly. Please limit your future posting on this subject to the other thread.

Infraction: Full Warning.

-Delta

Derf Tang
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
ElCapitan
Dictator

Just occurred to me that I should probably post the details of your infraction, to show that you were warned for inflammatory posting, not as retribution for posting our internal discussions.

Quote:
The following warning was issued to this user
» You have been asked repeatedly to tone down your approach, and have repeatedly ignored those requests. If you continue this behavior, further action will be taken.

Derf Tang
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrueking View Post
Since people are trying to silence me over at the AM2 forums, I’ll let people know here that Derf Tang or Delta over on those forums and Elcapitan over here cosplay forums is being very war monger like just like Brian Raker was for Anime Expo. I posted some internal problems because I am a staff member and wanted to express an opinion, which has been ignored interally, so I felt people should know. The IT department there is run by a person named Michael Fronk who thus far has decided that his department is more better run by himself only, refusing to ask for outside help when it was obvious that he needs it. The current AM^2 website is the product of over 6 months of work because he himself promised to finish the website back in October and November, while our old Club2TheMax website was still up, but after countless broken promises and lies by him, he finally has put this one up, which apparently has countless issues, especially when one of my friends who is an exhibitor tried to apply for a booth and the system overcharged him. I make a post about this on the forums hoping to get the staff members to do something about what Michael Fronk is doing in hope that the higher-ups would make some kind of changes. If you guys take a look at the website, you will notice that the staff applications and volunteer applications are still not up, many pages point to dead links, yet they have put up a registration system to charge people. When you want to sell a product, especially a new convention, don’t you think you should try to have better publicity. I like the people that are working in this convention, basically almost everyone that ran AX is over here, but this new IT guy has such a huge ego that only he can do things correctly and our current website is the result..

I think that something definitely needs to be done about the IT department, so things like guest of honor announcements and staffing applications can be put up. I am well aware that a lot of the information is already in Michael’s hands, but he refuses to take time to post it himself and when other people make comments about his work, he just blows them off and says he is “busy.” As with Anime Expo, there are internal problems going on at this convention and it seems even if I bring it up in the forums, they either delete my post or try to silence me even though I AM a current staff member

So the main thing here is that there are problems with AM2 convention and my take is that there needs to be some internal organization with IT. What other suggestions do you have for this new convention? I know there are concerts, cosplay gatherings, etc, but nothing fully organized yet!
Look, some of what you said is true about the website and El Capitan can be a bit strict, but what the hell are you trying to accomplish by posting this here? If you have concerns talk to Chase or your new convention chairs! How are you making a difference or helping the cause by airing AM2's internal problems here? If you are a staff member then you should know better. Nothing is going to be solved here and if you are found to be a staff member then you should probably be removed. I would remove you if I knew who you were and I was still part of AM2. So take it offline and to the appropriate people. You're not helping at all. Trust me, El Capitan is no Raker.
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
thetrueking

I heard that Joe Wu who was instrumental in establishing MAX and AM2 left the organization under a very sour tone. He used the word "unamicable" I hope this is not a result of infighting and AX like behavior.
thetrueking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrueking View Post
I heard that Joe Wu who was instrumental in establishing MAX and AM2 left the organization under a very sour tone. He used the word "unamicable" I hope this is not a result of infighting and AX like behavior.
Um, I am Joe Woo. Unamicable isn't a word. I left for reasons known to me. Even IF I did leave under bad tones I would NOT post them here. I still support Chase, Derf and AM2. Just no longer a part of it. Again, if you have problems take them up with your new con chairs, both are experienced and will help you.
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Hi, I Personally don't think there should be a (AM^2 problems and suggestions) Thread. I think it should be Deleted.

only because the Problems and Suggestions is only of (the one who made it)

AM2 Has not even started yet i don't think problems and suggestions should be posted yet till after the Con.

Suggestions well maybe but only to state (Who you would like to see and meet and greet) at con.

but on the AX Forums there is a thread as everyone knows that talks bout Problems and such. I don't want AM2 to be Compared (Problem Wise) - people already thinking that Am2 has Major problems and they can't get them straight and such. people have to remember AM2 is still 5 months away Am2 should not be Discredited or blamed for things that should or should not be on the website.

Everyone has Problems within an Organization (I have been top in 3 of the companies i have worked for) all i see if people complaining. but you have to tough it out and Obey the Higher Up's (not like Puppets) but like Humans Civil manner.

I'm not sure if what i said in my message was correct (Correct me if i am wrong) but i don't want Am2 to have what is happening to Ax (Happen to them) *They have not even started yet.*

I would like to Join Am2 Staff (When Staff Applications) are ready to be Filled out. I want to put in my Hard Work and Give All I Have to give.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

I see this more as internal problem with what you see trueking and see this more as a childish way to get what you want because the others don't do it.

I've met a lot of the team AM2 before and they were all polite friendly, asked for opinions from there team on how to improve, and while the website does need work I will agree you should reach out to the heads if you feel you are getting ignored with the leaving one of the members of AM2 you already got info incorrect but you should really not to to another forum and expect change from that as a current volunteer or staff because if you did that in my buisness I would fire you in 2 seconds.

Also I do question your post because back in Nov you said:
"Wow.. I wonder if Perspective is Chase Wang himself. Sounds very adamant about MAX. I would like to support MAX too, but I'm still very unclear about what it will be all about and if they will get up to par guests of honors or not or even have exhibitors. but AX seems like it is having its issues too"

You started a thread for attacking your own team not for how to make our site better so heck you personally lost a lot of credit to a con that hasn't happened yet. GG

Last edited by LelouchYamazaki : 02-02-2011 at 11:03 PM.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
techrabbit13

To whom it may concern:

I've staffing cons for over 5 years now, and I have one thing to say on this matter; this is an in-house issue and should remain an in-house issue, and as such this thread should be removed from this public forum immediately. This is a major infraction of staffing policy and portrays the convention in a bad light.

Thank you,
Techrabbit
techrabbit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

somethings tells me thetrueking won't be taking this down and likes causing problems because read this chat and read the chat he/she created at AM2 forums and they do not add up since no team member would go back and forth on this before talking in person to the team and then come here to complain.

What makes it funnier is they now say they staff for AM2 and its funny no one knows who you are, odd when your part of a team.

and the same person also made another post about the AM2 website and then created this one roughly ignoring the one they had earlier.

and to quote yourself much earlier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrueking
If you have nothing constructive to say then don't say anything. The post seemed constructive until Troy came with his nasty comments. The thread is called "Anime Expo Problems" so people can write about their quams, so unless you have some solutions or want to present better insight, you can just not say anything instead of trying to incite another argument.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
XStylus
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrabbit13 View Post
I've staffing cons for over 5 years now, and I have one thing to say on this matter; this is an in-house issue and should remain an in-house issue, and as such this thread should be removed from this public forum immediately. This is a major infraction of staffing policy and portrays the convention in a bad light.
I agree, internal matters should remain internal. Though if the administrators were to extend such consideration over this thread, there'd be questions why they hadn't done so for other conventions' threads, so I wouldn't expect much.
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Blue6
Photographer

(Lol, how did Troy get dragged into this?)

Agreed on admins staying out of this.

thetrueking, Vermiform, Thuy, whatever you want to go by... How come you didn't let anyone know you were staff until now?

Also, even if what you say is true, you can't blame this situation on ONE person.
Blue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
El_Duque
miyoshi82

If you're Staff then why not just keep it within the organization rather than post it on public forums and let the whole world know?
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote