Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
TheLoneVaporeon
Blue is where it's at :P

Lightbulb Vaporeon bodysuit suggestions pweise?

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to say that im trying to make a vaporeon cosplay outfit for A&G Ohio con in March and i would like some suggestions over the stuff i got thus far...
1)Bodysuit made out of fur for the fabric
2)mask made out of plastic canvas, upholstery foam and foamies. Also equipped with a movable jaw and a fan in the muzzle to cool me off
3)Eyes made out of sunglass lenses
4)Digitigrade legs for a more "realistic" look.
5)Claws, teeth, and nose materials made out of sculpy clay
6)A tail that attaches to my belt under bodysuit and goes through a hole in the suit that makes it more durable and les of a burden to haul around

That's pretty much it! Any suggestions would be AWESOME!

TheLoneVaporeon
TheLoneVaporeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Kibafan

is this what u have built so far or wanting to do?
Kibafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
TheLoneVaporeon

This is what I'm wanting to do. I have been planning for quite some time, but I have not built anything thus far. :P
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Kibafan

well here is what i can suggest 1 is don't make the mask out of canvas do only foam. i built my akamaru with canvas and found lots of problems including taring of the mesh, scratching of the face but the full foam mask i made was a lot more comfortable. also don't do eyes out of sun glass just use a mesh it works the same. fans are pains and add weight to the head pieces what i did was bough a fan my local walmart had for joggers that goes around your neck like a necklace and blows air up into the mask. scuply is great but i can give you lots of tips for that depending on how you make the gloves and teeth it can get heavy and fall apart fast if you want help i will be glad to throw out some advice from what i found after making my akamaru, wolf nii(1/2 prince) and nine tails suits
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
TheLoneVaporeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibafan View Post
well here is what i can suggest 1 is don't make the mask out of canvas do only foam. i built my akamaru with canvas and found lots of problems including taring of the mesh, scratching of the face but the full foam mask i made was a lot more comfortable. also don't do eyes out of sun glass just use a mesh it works the same. fans are pains and add weight to the head pieces what i did was bough a fan my local walmart had for joggers that goes around your neck like a necklace and blows air up into the mask. scuply is great but i can give you lots of tips for that depending on how you make the gloves and teeth it can get heavy and fall apart fast if you want help i will be glad to throw out some advice from what i found after making my akamaru, wolf nii(1/2 prince) and nine tails suits
Sure! Any advice is good to me! :P
---Toothless quad suit (How to train your dragon)--0%(TBA)
---Ezio's Armor of Altair outfit (Assassin's creed 2 and Brotherhood)--0%(TBA)
Unread 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Kibafan

First is moving jaws are big pains to build and there are many ways to build them one of my friends who build and commission them says to study and animals skull and how it works that is how she built hers (still working on it) rubber band moving jaws are hassles to keep up my akamaru uses the rubber band method and the bands pop at least twice a con and if not tightened right makes the mouth lop sided. but if you get it right the moving jaws allow a lot of air flow and a slightly better view range because you can open the mouth and see out of it a little. also you can eat or drink with out having to take on and off your head pice
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Elusive-umbreon

Hey, thought I might give my 2¢ on this (even though I'm not that experienced I still have learned things of the internet plus have some opinions on what will make your costume better). Its easy to compare vaporeon with the costume I'm making, umbreon, because they've got lots of similarities (due to being both eeveelutions) so I can give you advice/recommendations based on what I'm doing/going to do

1. I wouldn't make it out of fur or fabric for vaporeon, because I don't think vaporeon is furry...my suggestion would be that cold, smooth, slightly rubbery material (I forget the name) or even faux scales

if you're using faux scales just make sure the voids are a similar shade of blue as the actual scales and the voids aren't too deep or it could look worse than vaporeon with fur

2. use foam, easier to get hold of and apparently more comfortable. Use upholstary foam/high density foam but the type I'm going to use is camping mats from 99p stores because they're cheap, easy to get hold of and made of the same material but you can use what ever type of polyurethane foam you like

as for the fan...I was planning on using a fan in my costume because people say it gets hot in thouse costumes, but I decided against it for 3 reasons:
◎Feels like it would weigh the jaw too much
◎It would be annoying as hell to install especially if the batteries are in the back
◎also could be dangerous depending on the fan.

@kibafan - good idea I'll try that f(thing about fan necklace thing)

3 - never would have thought about it, but I can see chiffaun plastic bowl combo working better

4 - Digitigrade if you know how, because If done right it can look very impressive. but I personally am not bothering with digitigrading...confused me at first but when I thought about it, I would need alot more foam or the hand paws are going to look way out of proportion to the feet paws.

Vaporeons legs do digitigrade but I don't think its necessary...same case as my costume, umbreon digitigrades but I definitely think I can get away without bothering. If you know how though, go ahead because digitigrade does look impresive.

5 - Not sure vaporeon has claws but in the case of teeth, claws and nose parts sculpy (or fimo) is apparently good for that sort of thing, I'm using it. dunno what type of glue would work best though

6 - People use that method and people sometimes attaches the tail to the suit itself and use zips
I'm using the latter because I personally think it looks easier and more realistic...

however you have to think about the size, shape and type of tail
umbreon is easy in tail terms since the tail is a nice shape and movement is potentially easy due to it being thin enough to reduce weight but thick enough to not flop...vaporeons tail is tricky...it's thick at the top, thin at the bottom and long which would make it difficult to ad movement making you have to drag it arround...however due to it's thickness changing with legnth, it makes it less likely to trip you up (unlike with mewtwo in a video I saw recently, ill post that tomorrow), and it shouldn't be too hard to make if you know the shape...also make the fins and attach separately after furring/scaling/whatever...but Imo I would attach it to the suit itself

Last edited by Elusive-umbreon : 03-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Elusive-umbreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
TheLoneVaporeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive-umbreon View Post
Hey, thought I might give my 2¢ on this (even though I'm not that experienced I still have learned things of the internet plus have some opinions on what will make your costume better). Its easy to compare vaporeon with the costume I'm making, umbreon, because they've got lots of similarities (due to being both eeveelutions) so I can give you advice/recommendations based on what I'm doing/going to do

1. I wouldn't make it out of fur or fabric for vaporeon, because I don't think vaporeon is furry...my suggestion would be that cold, smooth, slightly rubbery material (I forget the name) or even faux scales

if you're using faux scales just make sure the voids are a similar shade of blue as the actual scales and the voids aren't too deep or it could look worse than vaporeon with fur

2. use foam, easier to get hold of and apparently more comfortable. Use upholstary foam/high density foam but the type I'm going to use is camping mats from 99p stores because they're cheap, easy to get hold of and made of the same material but you can use what ever type of polyurethane foam you like

as for the fan...I was planning on using a fan in my costume because people say it gets hot in thouse costumes, but I decided against it for 3 reasons:
◎Feels like it would weigh the jaw too much
◎It would be annoying as hell to install especially if the batteries are in the back
◎also could be dangerous depending on the fan.

@kibafan - good idea I'll try that f(thing about fan necklace thing)

3 - never would have thought about it, but I can see chiffaun plastic bowl combo working better

4 - Digitigrade if you know how, because If done right it can look very impressive. but I personally am not bothering with digitigrading...confused me at first but when I thought about it, I would need alot more foam or the hand paws are going to look way out of proportion to the feet paws.

Vaporeons legs do digitigrade but I don't think its necessary...same case as my costume, umbreon digitigrades but I definitely think I can get away without bothering. If you know how though, go ahead because digitigrade does look impresive.

5 - Not sure vaporeon has claws but in the case of teeth, claws and nose parts sculpy (or fimo) is apparently good for that sort of thing, I'm using it. dunno what type of glue would work best though

6 - People use that method and people sometimes attaches the tail to the suit itself and use zips
I'm using the latter because I personally think it looks easier and more realistic...

however you have to think about the size, shape and type of tail
umbreon is easy in tail terms since the tail is a nice shape and movement is potentially easy due to it being thin enough to reduce weight but thick enough to not flop...vaporeons tail is tricky...it's thick at the top, thin at the bottom and long which would make it difficult to ad movement making you have to drag it arround...however due to it's thickness changing with legnth, it makes it less likely to trip you up (unlike with mewtwo in a video I saw recently, ill post that tomorrow), and it shouldn't be too hard to make if you know the shape...also make the fins and attach separately after furring/scaling/whatever...but Imo I would attach it to the suit itself
Dude, i think you just gave me more than just 2¢. In fact, you gave me a butt load of cash! Thanks for the info dude! You are a LIFESAVER and perfectly right in your reasoning! And you too kibafan! You both gave me such valuable info i didnt know i even needed! :P
@Elusive-umbreon: Btw, i think the word you are looking for is "Spandex", right?
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
FF7isawesome

http://www.mywayzentai.com/Skyblue-S...--p-64247.html

Is as close as a zentai/bodysuit that I found. I may do something like this:

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs44/150/...n_by_Rosvo.png
FF7isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Elusive-umbreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneVaporeon View Post
Dude, i think you just gave me more than just 2¢. In fact, you gave me a butt load of cash! Thanks for the info dude! You are a LIFESAVER and perfectly right in your reasoning! And you too kibafan! You both gave me such valuable info i didnt know i even needed! :P
@Elusive-umbreon: Btw, i think the word you are looking for is "Spandex", right?
a butt load of cash eigh...you mean like this? http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thum...er_Cash_LR.jpg XD

Yeah spandex was the word I was looking for

P.s I couldn't find that video but it was at an Akon event I think it was Akon 19
Elusive-umbreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
TheLoneVaporeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive-umbreon View Post
a butt load of cash eigh...you mean like this? http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thum...er_Cash_LR.jpg XD

Yeah spandex was the word I was looking for

P.s I couldn't find that video but it was at an Akon event I think it was Akon 19
Lol yea about that much... XD
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
LuceFox

so basically, you're making a fursuit. I have some suggestions, in that case!

There are plenty of patterns out there (Joanns = <3) that are made for those little kid-style animal costumes. I'd suggest getting one of those and then cutting off the hood / paw bits of it. That just makes the construction of the bodysuit about a million times easier, believe me!

For feet, what were you planning on doing? If you don't already have ideas, here's an idea on how to start. Get a pair of comfortable shoes that you don't mind ruining, and get a bathroom mat. cut up the bathroom mat the shape that you want the bottom of Vaporeon's feet to be, and glue it onto the bottom of your shoe. Then build the rest of the foot around it with foam, cover in whatever materials you're using, and you're done!

I'm actually an assistant to a fursuit maker, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope that helped!
LuceFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
TheLoneVaporeon

Hey guys, i know it has been a while, and the thread might be considered "dead", but i have came up with a new idea: Im deciding to follow Elusive-Umbreon's idea of a spandex suit, but I plan to make it into a suit that you can actually go into water with.
I know it sounds complicated, but hey, I think its a great idea!
Any ideas on how to make a wet-suit like version of a vaporeon suit?
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Hissora
ahurhurhur. :]

As a fursuiter, I'm telling you, sunglasses lenses are a biiiigg nono. They're very tacky looking and don't give a good effect. I suggest buckram fabric, you can get it at a lot of fabric stores and a half yard is all you need to buy and you have plenty for a while. Just color it black with a black sharpie or marker and let it dry and install it!

As far as movable jaw, they arent too hard. My first head I was able to make a movable jaw with little problem by following this tutorial. Just make sure to have the elastic set right on your chin in the correct position.