Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
miamiasma

Fabric for Bathing Suit

Hello,

I'd like to learn to make my own bathing suits, not just for cosplay, but also for swimming. I really don't like bathing suit shopping (almost as much as I hate bra shopping) because whenever I find a design I like, they don't have it in my size, and I don't like many designs... Uhg! A mad circle of shopping disgust and hate!>:\ Not only that, but if/when I make a costume that is a bathing suit, I want to swim in it!

Anyways~ What type of fabric should be used when making a bathing suit that is meant to go in the water? In other words, one that actually works. If you happen to know where on the internet I could buy *insert fabric type here* then that would be an awesome bonus. Thanks in advance. ^_^

Other bathing suit making tips are also welcome.
miamiasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Emrys

Swimwear/dancewear fabric is a stretchy knit used for... you guessed it, swimsuits and gymnastics/dancing outfits. It usually comes in limited colors though and you will probably need to use lining (there is a special lining for swimwear but I forget what it is called).

Edit: You can find it in most fabric stores, but the color selections are limited and usually just solids. You might have better luck online but I don't have a link to give (I don't fabric buy online).
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
shushuwafflez
~*shushuwafflez*~

Generally there are 2 types of materials used to make swim suits.

Lycra: stretchy and often has a shimmer or shine to it. It's more for dressy or fashionable swim wear or dance wear. It's widely available in different colors. Down side is that it gets eaten by chlorine faster and doesn't last as long. thats why swim wear stores sell cleaners to properly dissolve chlorine off the suit. It helps it last.

Most commonly found swim suits in the fashion departments will carry swim suits made of lycra.

Spandex based 4 way stretch with little to no lyrcra: should be found along side lycra. Tends to not have the shine, some do, it's more commonly used for sports grade swim suits because of it's ability to last longer than lycra. Chlorine pretty much eats everything over time, but spandex does last much longer than lycra in chlorine.

Either of them work very well. I've used both. So it depends on what you are going for. Looks or function. You can mix them up too if you are planning on using multiple colors. like the base color be the spandex and the accent color be the lycra.

I hope it helps
shushuwafflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
miamiasma

Thank you both for the replies. They are very helpful. I knew about lycra as a stretchy fabric, but I didn't know that swimsuits were made of lycra. I'm not too worried about chlorine since most of the swimming I do is in the ocean, not in pools, but I might pick up some of that chlorine cleaner mentioned just in case. I would hate to make an elaborate swim suit only to have it eaten away quickly. Thanks again!
miamiasma is offline   Reply With Quote