Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Ochiba~Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Mekou
Meow~

NAF Is On Hiatus

I must regrettably announce that Northern Anime Festival will not taking place in 2011. We, as a group, decided that it would be in the best interest of the convention and its staff to take a hiatus to recharge.

The decision was made for a number of reasons, but the main contributors were a perpetual lack of staff and funding. We are severely understaffed, with many of us taking on multiple departments to ensure that the con will have programming. At this point many of us are wearing thin, and it isn't and wouldn't be fair to attendees to put on a convention without our full enthusiasum.

That being said, many of us on staff are in the process of planning smaller events for the coming year. We will be sure to announce when and where those events are when details are finalized!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

~ Ashley
NAF Con Chair

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

OH MAN! this was ONE event our group didnt have to stress over getting to or being allowed to stay in hotels and all that because it was right THERE...
Could you have opened up to the community to ask if anyone was willing to help out before you officially canceled it? I know I would have helped in any way I could, not money wise since I'm poor as anyone (which is why I LOVE NAF because its easy to get to, no hotel for me and great low entry fee), but I would have helped organized anything I could if someone would have just told me WHAT and how! I could have organized the panels or something... god knows I have WAY too much time on my hands... and things could be done to raise money... bake sales, photographers offering photoshoots to people outside the community to raise money, car washes... anything...

We are all very disappointed and close to heart broken as a group because several of our members were only allowed to go to cons they didn't have to stay in hotels for or spend a lot of money on...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
RoseHanabira

That's very sad news. I've been attending the convention for 4 years, the first time I went was when I had discovered that there was a convention on the very campus that I would be attending in a short number of months. Now that I'm an alumni it's sad to see that the tradition has ended along with my student-status.

Is there somebody that we can get in contact with to help with the conventions? I'm interested in being a member of the staff (or even a volunteer) to help run the convention, it holds a very dear place in my heart and I'd love to give back to the event that provided such an intimate gathering of fans.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
box of doom
Loli-Shota Type

The con is not gone for good, at this point, at least. Not around for 2011, but there will be other things at least somewhat in its place.

We are hoping to run some small events, as said above, so do keep your ears open for htat.

If you're interested in helping out at NAF, or to have a hand in the events we plan to run, feel free to send off an email to Jodi at naf.humanresources@gmail.com

I can tell you from experience, working the con is a unique experience. It can also be a fair amount of work... but you get to help make the convention that much more fun for everyone. (Even if you do end up running around like mad and getting far too little sleep around con-time. XD)

As most people reading this probably know, I've been running some events at NAF since the first time I attended (Honey-senpai, represent!). I am so glad I was able to be the programming director last year. I hope I can continue in that role in the future, because it's great to help bring fun activities and events to everyone.
box of doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
captain0marauding
Sir Squish Cosplay

Well, that's no good. This was going to be my first time going, I guess that's not possible right now. Good luck!!~
SAT PM - Scarfketsu Ryuko (Kill la Kill)
SUN - Mikisugi Aikuro (Kill la Kill)

captain0marauding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

I've been to NAF since the first one and never missed one. But man Mark leaves and the con crashes I guess. I was on staff for 2 years myself and well.....I couldn't stand most of the staff so I left. Why is con staff and volunteers always so brutal in most cases!? A few other cons aren't much better. But anyway for whatever reason NAF always had such low attendance that I could never figure out.

Sucks I agree because it was the closest con for me to go to as well and just hang out at.

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Tsukasa_1

Most of the old executive committee has not left (including me) since you were staff. I would say at this point NAF is pretty much under new management, and this is pretty much needed for them to recoup and direct NAF in their vision

IMHO, this is a smart move on their part as they all learn the ropes and redevelope the business model.

Mark W. Hamilton
President | Le président du Comité
Ochiba~Con Organizing Committee | Ochiba~Con Comité organisateur
Tel / Tél.: 289-315-3908 | Fax / Teléc.: 888-859-0891
Mark.Hamilton@northernanime.ca | www.ochibacon.ca

Ochiba~con a division of Northern Anime Festival inc.
Tsukasa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
surfcritter

Any news if the Northern Anime Festival is it still on hiatus?
I was really looking forward to going this year.
surfcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcritter View Post
Any news if the Northern Anime Festival is it still on hiatus?
I was really looking forward to going this year.
this was only announced a week ago... I don't see how you could think it isn't anymore... yeah we're suggesting they COULD have asked for help... but they didn't and the decision seems final...
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Mekou
Meow~

I know it seems like such a downer, but there was really no other option for us. It was a hard to decision to come to, to say the least.

I also do realize that we could have asked to help from the community, but the issues go beyond that of staffing. To tell the truth, money plays a huge role in it too. Unless people have wads of cash to throw at us we just really couldn't put on another convention given the current state of things.

As for staffing, we have always been open to people wanting to join our team and help out in any way possible. That remains the same even while we are hiatus for 2011. =)

And like I mentioned before, we have some ideas of small events to do in the Durham area in near future. So it's not like we're going to be completely gone just yet.

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekou View Post
I also do realize that we could have asked to help from the community, but the issues go beyond that of staffing. To tell the truth, money plays a huge role in it too. Unless people have wads of cash to throw at us we just really couldn't put on another convention given the current state of things.
Fundraisers? I dunno XP I just seem to think along those lines a lot because I do a lot of it for my own events (horse shows/barn/cosplay group)... we do bake sales and stuff...
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
box of doom
Loli-Shota Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
Fundraisers? I dunno XP I just seem to think along those lines a lot because I do a lot of it for my own events (horse shows/barn/cosplay group)... we do bake sales and stuff...
Fundraisers are part of what we plan to do this year.
box of doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Skyeliosis
To Boldly Go..

aww, this sucks, ; n ;
Good luck with fundraisers and such~

Con-G [ ]
Anime North [ ]
Fan Expo [ ]

Skyeliosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
jhuhn
Master J

I hope things get better for July 2012. Hopefully there will be more preparations for the event during that time and getting suggestions on which guests would be attending. I know a few names that might be considered, including Eileen Stevens, who is the English voice of Iris in the Pokemon Black & White series.
jhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
xMaxi
Bwahaha!

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that it's not going on this year. ): I'll keep my eyes peeled for whatever is planned and hopefully I can go to those.
xMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote