Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > D.Gray Man

Unread 02-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
YoungEarl
HerpDerpy

Grave of Maria Help!

Hello, I plan on making a Grave of Maria (D. Gray Man) cosplay in the next few months, and I could use some help with her flower mask.
Here is a referance image: http://images.wikia.com/dgrayman/ima...e_of_Maria.jpg
I need something light and comftarable, and won't break easily. I plan on wearing this for about 8-12 hours at a future con, if that helps. I can easily paint the design on the material, and attach it to the other mask that covers her head.
And if anyone is willing to find a website that may make them, please let me know! I would forever be in your debt. ^_^~
Thanks so much!!
~Earl
YoungEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Idelle
Bork-bork-bork

I used a combination of foam, wire and thick cardboard for my mask (it would've worked well if it hadn't gotten bent in the car on the way to the con). It wasn't heavy at all, but I don't think it could ever really be called comfortable. To make it...well, less uncomfortable, I suggest that you tie the mask on instead of attaching it permanently to the black hood so that you can pull it up while you move around. If you have the mask down far enough to match the reference image it will obstruct your vision significantly and you'll give yourself a headache, and you'll already be pretty blind from the hood to begin with. If you need any help, feel free to PM me!
Nuala. Clockwork Alice (Armageddon Melbourne)

Idelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

[url=http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2658508/]My friend[url] wrapped fabric around a wire frame. The center where the petals meet was sculpted out of model magic. It was fairly light. She designed a sort of... apparatus to help with comfort (it redistributed the weight of the flowers across her entire head instead of just one point in the middle). I want to say she made the apparatus out of foam, and it sat underneath the black hood. I'm not 100% sure on the details, though.

Unfortunately, no matter how light this mask is, I don't think it could ever be considered comfortable. I like Idelle's suggestion at having the flower be removable so you can see where you're going--my friend's vision was *very* limited... if you have a "handler," that's great... my friend unfortunately did not (we had the Maria mask, a full Earl mask, Cross-with one eye blocked by a mask, and Klaud-with one eye blocked by a thick bang... we got around awesomely, haha).

Good luck!
Son Goku - Dragonball Z

@NayamiP
-Nayami- is offline   Reply With Quote