Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Unread 10-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Unhappy ANBU Kakashi costume - need help

Alright, first off, I have to say I'm quite blind because I can't even figure out the colors for Kakashi's Anbu outfit. In the colored manga image, it looks like he's wearing a white vest and navy blue outfit underneath, but in the anime, the regular Anbus are wearing gray vests and black outfits (watch episode 51). I guess this is just an either or type of thing ^^;;

Okay, onto the real questions, his gloves - since they are like ballroom gloves, I figured I'd buy a non-satiny pair (if they exist) and rivet onto the fabric some aluminum flashing. Any ideas on how to cut the aluminum without cutting myself? I like the idea of using aluminum versus shiny fabric for the gloves, but I might opt for the latter for the dogs' head protectors.

As for the vest, should I just buy a pattern and try my luck with it? (I am absolutely not a seamstress.

His Anbu mask is not a usual face mask shape, hence I was thinking of experimenting with some plaster, but the mask will probably end up rough and bumpy (if I remember correctly from my past mask-making ventures). Any remedies/alternatives?

Boot-sandals...I don't know what else to call them. I read the boot-cover thread and just thought I'd do that over my sandals and leave the toe-area open. Good idea? Have a better one? As for the straps going around the ankle/calf area, maybe foam or just padded fabric will do.

Arm protectors. I'm pretty lost on this one, and I don't think cardboard covered with gray fabric is going to cut it. Vacuum-forming plastic sounds...complicated and rather dangerous. If anyone has ideas for this one, please post them ^^

Lastly, the wig. I've seen a lot of variations on Kakashi's hair from people coloring their own hair, to modified Don Kings. I was wondering what Kakashi cosplayers have done and what kind of wig I should purchase since my hair is too long and not Kakashi-stylable.

For reference, watch episode 51 and the attached pictures.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002-07-15.jpg (56.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg image114.jpg (196.5 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Elvenwolf : 10-22-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Elvenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
Daala
My job is to piss u OFF!

Ah... this may not help but take a look >> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/naruto-team/...ay/Jump26.jpeg
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:56 PM   #3
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Thanks for the picture - it should help me out with some ideas :]

Last edited by Elvenwolf : 10-22-2003 at 04:07 PM.
Unread 10-22-2003, 03:47 AM   #4
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

My 2 cents, not that they matter

The color: I think really really dark blue or black would work. It's hard to say, because when coloring, many tend to give black a blue highlight. Either would work, but if you only find a black glove, then go with black. I think having the colors there match would be better than having both in one costme. I can go back and check - I taped Naruto last weekend, so I can check. There were anbu's in that ep (and I have NO clue what ep number it is - it was the end of the elimination round before the final test) and I can PM you later.

The gloves I mentioned above. Good idea. Definitely non-satiny type.

Aluminum - I guess they are supposed to be metal, aren't they... a friend used aluminum for fixing cars (the thin type) [sorry, no idea what type of aluminum flashing is, but I have an idea] and use Tinsnips (bought at local hardware store) and workmans gloves to cut it. Edges are sharp, so dull them somehow. You can use rivets to attach metal pieces together (also at hardware stores), or gluegun or something, and fake the rivet points with something else. Friend used upholstry tacks, with the point cut off and glued on. Worked very well. This is how he made his headprotector, and it looks really good. This is what I would go with.

Vest - I would say try your luck without the pattern. I have looked thru quite a few, and I think you would be better off making it from scratch (no patterns seem to come to mind, and they would require a lot of modification). They seem to be rather thick, so you would have to sew it like a seat cushion or a squished rectangle. And seeing as it's supposed to be armor (is my guess, why else wear something over your chest? although, it does squish a little... strange. Not good armour if you ask me), I would put in a thin sheet of metal/plastic/cardboard for extra shape holding ability. Use velcro or snaps to attach the pieces together over the shoulders (have it sewn to either front or back, and only attach one side). And make a mock-up first, out of old material. Bedsheets, old t-shirts, anything works. That way you will know what works and what doesn't before making the good one.

Mask - buy and alter one, or learn about plaster techniques and whatever it is... (I have never done this myself) and cover your face with vaseline and make your own face-shaped mask (art teachers are good references to ask about this). Or model one on a bought mask, out of different materials? Or model one out of a mould of your face, and use latex or something? (really have no idea, just random suggestions) Buying and altering would be the cheapest and easiest, I think.

Sandals - actually sorta look like sports sandals. Only blue/black with 'socks' underneath. >.< Buy a cheap pair, and cover the strap parts with blue material, padded in places so it looks smooth. Then either make a sock for your foot and wear that underneath, or try to attach fabric underneath the straps. I think socks would be easiest, but not necessarily 100% accurate. Play around with ideas. That's the best way.

Wigs- I would go with a wig, myself, as I think its the only way to get hair truly white (unless you are a really light blonde and want to spray it). Problems with spray are that it flakes off, or causes weird texture and color runs. You can use extra-strength styling products, or, as engineers at my old uni liked to use, knox gelatin. 2 or 3 packages into the hot water instead of one, like it asks for in the recipe. Wait a little until it cools, and use hands to apply. Dry upside down with hairdryer for speeded up drying. THis is also waterproof, and mostly permanent (unless you want to wash your wig in the shower with shampoo and conditioner and stuff)

Good luck with everything! I can't wait to see a good anbu kakashi.

And with that photo.. their masks looked good, if I recall correctly..but many were wearing white tank tops or torn/cut white shirts. Not as accurate, but it gives the right effect. Would have been great to see, none the less.

Slightly OT: any female anbu? Besides.. um, anko? (someone told me she was)

Sorry its so long. Guess that was more like... 200 cents or something.

EDIT: If you are a girl, I suggest you read the thread on binding your chest. Would help get the 'male' look. If you are male (I checked your profile, but didn't say, and one can't really judge on the names of charas anymore), gomenasai!

Last edited by Eleryth : 10-22-2003 at 03:50 AM.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Eleryth - Thanks a lot for your 200 cents! All your suggestions are very good. You might have to wait a while before I complete this outfit since I'll be learning how to sew basic stitches w/ a machine in a few months' time. I think I might stick to whichever color I find a long turtleneck in first :] although in the 1st picture I posted, the shirt does appear to be navy blue; I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

As for the hair, been there done that, color hairspray is the bane of my cosplay existence :] so I'm definitely looking for a wig.

Female Anbu...hmm, I don't know if Anko used to be. Memory is slightly rusty. Sorry ^^;; unfortunately for feminist anime fans, there aren't a lot of really top-notch female ninjas. I mean, sure there are the jounin instructors, but there's a lot more obvious competition between the higher ninjas who are male - Kakashi, Gai, Orochimaru, the Hokages who have all been male. I might be wrong though since I'm not exactly up-to-date with the manga yet, but if anyone knows of a female Anbu, post away.
Unread 10-23-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I know of A female ninja that seems really cool, but darned if I remember her name. Manga only so far - some healer woman. Who is really old. I guess I could look up her name at Toriyamas World...but I am lazy. ^^

Anyways. Watched my tape last night (yay Kakashi!). Sketched out an anbu vest - maybe I can find a scanner somewhere. Or else take a digital pic and post that (pathetic I know, but there seems to be a lack of scanners here).

The clothing part is not blue. In the same scenes as Kakashi, they were definitely not the same color. They do indeed look grey. Personally, I think a white/black combo would have more 'oomph'.

Things I noticed:

Vest has seam in front and back middle - so I am assuming it does up with a zipper in the front, like the green vests do (one vest did not have a seam in the back, and I think it would look better without, but thats MHO)
Vest also seems to have pockets at the bottom, on the sides, where pockets usually are on a jacket/vest. And black pieces on the straps on the back near the vest. Also has that 'roll' thing at the bottom like the green vests do. Not always as defined, but it was there (at least on the anbu in the ep I watched).

The armguards were not animated the same way as the metal hand guard, leading me to think they are a different material. They were the same color as the vest, so probably something cloth covered. Or some futuristic material we don't have yet. ^^

The pants are baggier, like the normal ninja pants, but the top was tight and sleeveless (as you know).

....hmmm...what else was there.... they seemed to all wear katana on their backs, too.... and I don't recall them having the colored scarf like Kakashi does in some pics.

I hope this helps! And good luck with the sewing.
Unread 10-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #7
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Eleryth, I think you mean Tsunade :]
I agree with the seam/zipper issue. I didn't see a seam in the manga picture, so I suppose I could get away with artistic license of sorts here. Thanks for your help again ^^ do you happen to know which episode you watched? And with the sketch, if you can get a picture online, that'd be great!

For the other 80 or so people who have viewed this thread, please put in your 2 cents ^^;; this'll probably be my biggest cosplaying project yet and I really want to do this myself instead of sending it to a tailor.
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Posted 2x by accident. Anyone know how to delete posts? ^^;;

Last edited by Elvenwolf : 10-28-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Ne, I don't think you can delete. Dumb, but whatever.

As for the ep, turns out it was 51. Apparently Naruto is on on Thursdays, on a station I don't get, and will be airing ep 56 this week, but the station I get, on Saturdays, is behind and will be airing...53? I think...

So, it was the one with... damn, I just forgot his name...kabuto and kakashi's little tiff in the room with sasuke. I will get my bf to take a pic of my sketch this weekend, and see if we can get that loaded up somewhere. Goodness knows, I need a gallery of something!

And my sketch is just that - sketch! >.< Be prepared for some ghettoness.

And yes, I think that's her name. Too bad she's blonde, and I don't have a good blonde wig - and am not willing to spend a ton to get one! But there was a female anbu (unknown) in episode... 54? I think...

And good luck! Feel free to PM me so we don't take over this thread.
When I have the pic up, I shall msg you.
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Ok, finally got that sketch in my gallery (if they haven't deleted it yet). It's nothing amazing, unfortunately. I wanted to get screencaps for you, but irfanview was skipping a lot for some reason, so I couldn't. Maybe eventually I will.

So, revising what I wrote previously, the following is what I noticed:

Color: Still the grey-scale. But I stick with what I said about the black/white giving more 'oomph'.

Arm Guards - Not the same color. As mentioned. I don't think they are supposed to be shiny, like the forehead and hand protectors. They just aren't animated the same way. So, I would stick with something padded and fabric covered - maybe plastic armor with a cover, or the aluminum flashing.

Vest - Still try w/o the pattern. Make your own from scratch, using old materials first. The vest I looked at for most of the scene had a roll at the bottom, and seams in the front and back. I, personally, would put a zipper in the front. Doing it up the back would be awkward and impractical. Hmm, or, you could put it on over your head. It should fit, because it's not tapered near the waist. This might be best, because they don't taper near the front seam, which it would have to do if it were a zipper.
It's puffy, about an inch thick, at least. And looking at the kakashi pic and at the vests in the ep, there's a small line on the top front seam - I think its piping, for detail. I would put piping in. But only this side; on the side near the body I wouldn't worry about it. I would make them with something a bit stiffer inside, maybe a different type of foam, instead of cotton batton. And I would use interfacing on the thin edge of the vest (like the thin side of a cusion) to help it keep its puffed squareish shape. There is no black clip in the back - that was the top of the katana sheath. It's only attached at the top right, just above the buckle attaching the shoulder strap to the vest. Maybe it slides on there and attaches to the vest to keep it in place - I don't know. The shoulder straps are slightly padded, and fairly wide. I would attach them in the front, with velcro or snaps hidden under the square attachment piece. I would sew them down in the back. On the sides of the vest, they have what appear to be pockets (although, I don't recall anyone using it as a pocket, maybe in a different ep). Two of them, at an angle. So, maybe just decoration, for fitting or something.

Mask - Check out China town and asian malls. I will keep my eyes open here for you.

Tattoo - I am sure you can find shots of this. There is even someone on the msg board who got it as a tattoo. I am sure s/he'd have pics.

Wigs - I myself do not know, but many suggestions of good sites have been made from which to buy wigs. He has a sorta mini-mullet in the back...and remember that the hair sorta goes in one direction, not all over the place. And is really quite long - if it were down, I am pretty sure it would reach his jaw, if not farther. Gravity defying hair - it's what animes all about!

NOTE: Due to the slight variations in anbu vests (back seam, no seam, weird pockets, different number of pockets...) there might be different variations of the vests. It might be like the green ones - different people have different vests.

Hope this helps you! Good luck!
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
ACXchan
I sink you now!

For my anbu outfit I'm planning to construct arm guards out of either plastic, cardboard with a plastic layer, or pipes from Home Depot @D@ I was thinking of used archery arm guards but so far I can't find any that have a solid construction (most of them have slits so your arm can breath).

Regarding the vest, I think if anything you can make it out of a jumper pattern. The vest looks like a kid's jumper only cut off at the torso.

As for the masks, I'm planning to make them myself as well ^ ^ Instead of the newspaper-plaster-in-a-bowl method, try finding gauze rolls with the plaster already powdered on. That won't take out the lumps entirely but it will be smoother than newspapers. There are ways to smoothen out the lumps too, by hand while it's wet or by layering paint on top of the mask. I'm going to use finishing paint on the masks after they're dry to try and even out any rough spots. Then I'm going to paint the animal faces on and spray it with a sealant. I was thinking of lining the masks with cloth for comfort but since the mask is going to sit on top of my head most of the time I don't think it's too big a deal ^ ^

By the way... what's the difference between the opera gloves with regular fingertips and the ones with sharpened claws? I've seen Kakashi with both types @D@

Last edited by ACXchan : 11-05-2003 at 09:58 PM.
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #12
ChibiBlargh

i was originally planning on cosplaying as anbu kakashi but the wig thing didn't work out so i just cosplayed as a random anbu for ax 2003. i can send you the reference pictures that i used if you'd like.
ChibiBlargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #13
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Thank you everyone for replying. My computer sort of went berserk over the past week or so, therefore I was unable to thank you all for the advice. ChibiBlargh (great name btw ) I'd love to get reference pics, and Eleryth, you've definitely helped me out a lot :] thanks so much! Btw, I don't see any sketch in your gallery, but that's ok. I think I can figure things out ^^V
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:52 PM   #14
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I guess they deleted it. It was a sketch (artwork, I guess, after all). I have the picture elsewhere - at http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...c=gr%26.view=t

Um, if that doesn't work, its at http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...s_monsters/lst in the e _ temp album, last image.

*sigh* wish I could get screen caps. And no luck finding the masks here. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:01 PM   #15
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Hm, the links don't seem to work. I copy and pasted too...hmm...