Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~
 
SweetOcarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 364
Critique Please

Our Photographer who is part of our group is improving his photography. Taking your advice from last time to heart, we took some new shots. What do you think of these ones? Any critique?

You can +not+ advance



Product Placement Photo advertising UCC Coffee



Watapachi <3



Thank you~

Last edited by SweetOcarina : 02-17-2011 at 05:02 AM.
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Rander
Registered User
 
Rander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 119
Photo #1:The composition is interesting, but what are the characters doing? It seems kind of random. If you just had Kaworu (I think) sitting down in the shot that would be good.

Photo #2:I think that this is a good set of pictures. The whole set looks a little desaturated, but I don't know if that was intended. I think the next step would be to add interesting shadows instead of lighting everyone evenly. There is a little bit of that going on in the first photo. Here are some examples (not mine)

http://hexlord.deviantart.com/#/d34ekk6
http://hexlord.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d38nrw8

Photo #3: I like it except the fence, its distracting. The foreground focus is good and you have good bokeh.

Hope this helps.
__________________
_____________________________________

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Ashurachan
now behind the lens
 
Ashurachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 752
#1 has a nice concept, but you should have played with depth even more, and pushed the concept "everyone's looking in a different direction". Asuka and Shinji are too similar (and Asuka is partially hidden behind Shinji, which breaks the effect a bit).
I would have moved Kaworu closer to the camera, and probably Shinji too, and I'd have gotten him closer to the center, facing the camera and looking in its direction (but not at it).
Also, the sky looks a bit flat, I'd use a graduated filter to darken it, and give it more texture.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~
 
SweetOcarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 364
Thank you so much for the critique guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rander View Post
Photo #1:The composition is interesting, but what are the characters doing? It seems kind of random. If you just had Kaworu (I think) sitting down in the shot that would be good.
The idea was based on the anime series, where in most official art the characters aren't looking at each other, but staring out into the unknown. Different version of their costumes but like so: http://www.absoluteanime.com/neon_ge...nd_rebirth.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rander View Post
Photo #2:I think that this is a good set of pictures. The whole set looks a little desaturated, but I don't know if that was intended. I think the next step would be to add interesting shadows instead of lighting everyone evenly. There is a little bit of that going on in the first photo. Here are some examples (not mine)

http://hexlord.deviantart.com/#/d34ekk6
http://hexlord.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d38nrw8
I should have probably explained. These are meant to be product placement/advertisement pictures. Ideally they would have all been identical lighting wise, but it didn't work out that way unfortunately. We didn't have access to a backdrop/lighting rig to make it even.

All the photos in the set were desaturated/muted on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rander View Post
Photo #3: I like it except the fence, its distracting. The foreground focus is good and you have good bokeh.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
#1 has a nice concept, but you should have played with depth even more, and pushed the concept "everyone's looking in a different direction". Asuka and Shinji are too similar (and Asuka is partially hidden behind Shinji, which breaks the effect a bit).
I would have moved Kaworu closer to the camera, and probably Shinji too, and I'd have gotten him closer to the center, facing the camera and looking in its direction (but not at it).
Also, the sky looks a bit flat, I'd use a graduated filter to darken it, and give it more texture.
#1: Yeah I realised I was hidden. Unfortunately the versions of this shot where I'm not hidden there were people walking across the bridge. If we could take it again, I'd definitely stand further up the bridge. I'd also stop our Shinji from standing like such a dork and yeah, turning him towards the camera probably would have been a good idea.

Thanks for your critique!
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.