Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Cosplay + Photoshop(ing)

http://www.lazypalace.com/magic-call...gn=avalanchers

I thought this was a very interesting topic. I was actually surfing the net when I came upon this article in the link above and was wondering what other cosplayers though about it. In my opinion, I don't find any harm in shopping up your pics a little, ie, to cover up acne, uneven skin tones, stretchmarks, smooth out your costume and curves, inserting backgrounds and special effects, etc.

But I think it's wrong for people to use it to make themselves skinny or correct their faces beyond acne and the like. In the link you'll see what I mean, people that are obsese shopping themselves skinny. The only reason I don't like it is because it is deceptive. I know every one wants to be attractive and pretty, but decieving people is another thing. Especially if your going to meet some one irl whether to be friends or date and you show them those skinny pics, what are you going to do? Whether or not the other person actually cares about your looks don't you think they'd be pissed they were lied to whether or not the other person was actually skinny or fat or what ever?

I myself don't care about people's looks, whether they're skinny, fat, attractive, ugly, what ever. Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of the girls were even skinny and cute to me and they shopped themselves even skinnier and even their faces which I didn't think was nessisary.

To me, this shows me the bad effect of society. How obsessed our society is with being thin, beautiful, and perfect. No one is perfect. Even celebrities are normal looking, but they cake on so much make up and have their photos shopped and every thing they look perfect but they're just like us.

Just only a few hundred years ago large women were considered beautiful and valuable over thin women. I know some of it was due to larger women being better at bearing children, not sure if that's a scientific fact, but yeah. If you look at art from the renisance(sp) most of the women if not all of them are larger women. The only famous painting I can think off the top of my head is "The Birth of Venus" which is a good example of a large nude woman and I think she's beautiful. But I digress.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)

Last edited by Kawaii Pocky : 02-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
lyraparry11

I generally don't have a problem with people touching up images with Photoshop. I use it to even out my skintone and get rid of any blemishes, and clean up any funny looking wrinkles or stains on my costume, a stray bit of hair, etc. As long as the photo looks more or less the same, minus little flaws. And obviously photoshopping for special effects is fine. I can't blame anyone for wanting to create a more attractive version of themself. Just don't go overboard and completely change your appearance.
Anime Boston attendee since 2009
lyraparry11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Yeah, I don't really think it's right to photoshop yourself so much like that and completely change your appearance.

I mean, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't touch up my photos but physically distorting them is where I draw the line. If it's going to make me look any different than I do IRL, I won't do it. I think it's really wrong and unhealthy when people do that.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 05-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
BloodOfAutumn
Aristo Mercu

Photoshopping parts of a photo that really defines the model, is a really big offense to themselves. It means they don't like it enough to really want to morph the picture into something more appeasing to the eyes. In my opinion , it's fine to change small things like the lighting, some scars/marks, even a bit of slimming. But to hide that extra 80 LBs of fat? or to morph the face into something that looks akin to a mannequin? No.
That kind of action towards the picture, means the person isn't satisfied with themselves, which implies low self-esteem and confidence in their own bodies, and is desperate enough to even fake it to get compliments. If you want to look like the you in your photoshopped pictures, WORK FOR IT, don't just cheat it. It's going to do more harm than good.
For example, you cosplay a lot, but you're very overweight. You photoshopped all your public photos to make yourself look skinny and radiant. People would want to meet you at the cons you're attending. What are you going to do? Back out at the last second? or go and let your fans see that you don't look like the you in your photos.

I know i 'm coming through very strong, but i sometimes get very frustrated at people who just thinks "oh photoshopping is my buddy, i 'm gonna photoshop my breasts, and my legs, and my face! People would think i 'm beautiful!"
BloodOfAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
emmisu
King of Toast

First I just want to say that some of those photos are reversed.
Not all of them are in less attractive-> more attractive order of shopping.

I photoshop stuff for the lulz sometimes, when it's an actual picture I want to take seriously I just fix lighting, blemishes, shadows, contrast (minor things for photo composition and color balance). Never really overhaul my appearance.

If those girls want to do that, whatever. It's deceptive and derogatory to oneself, but that's for them to judge on their own. In the end nobody is made happier for it, but it doesn't really seriously hurt anyone either =/

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
meepstio
jini;♥

The most I do with photoshopping cosplay photos is fix lighting and blemishes/panda eyes.
If you fix the overall appearance of how the person actually looks like, uh go ahead but its not being true to the person in the photo.

All those photos just seem to be fixing their weight . . . . . /:

Quote:
Some of the girls were even skinny and cute to me and they shopped themselves even skinnier and even their faces which I didn't think was necessary.
I really doubt in any of the photos it was actual person in the photo who photoshopped themselves.. probably just trolls. /:
Upcoming cons: Otakon
Ashe (LOL), Sailor Mercury, Bulma/Chun-li
meepstio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
To me, this shows me the bad effect of society. How obsessed our society is with being thin, beautiful, and perfect. No one is perfect. Even celebrities are normal looking, but they cake on so much make up and have their photos shopped and every thing they look perfect but they're just like us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U

Whenever this subject comes up, I always think of this commercial.

Last edited by Jia Jem : 02-11-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

I think it's a little wrong to photoshop yourself beyond recognition in these cases. some of them didnt even look as they'd need photoshop at all anyway D: (don't take that wrong. i don't mean that some DID, im just saying, some of them looked FINE to me.)

I use photoshop to get rid of acne and blemishes and also thigns liek light and darkness contrast for the backgroudn and stuff, but i wouldn't completely change myself :S ...
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post

oh my gosh D: that add is so right x_x
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Quote:

Wow, that's a great video.

I pretty much agree with what has been said above. The most I could approve of is shopping out a little bump where someone forgot to suck in their stomach.
Gallifrey One
San Diego Comic Con!

Works in progress
Aqua~ Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Haydee~ Gankutsuou
Battousai-nii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Some photoshop touchups are alright. I also fully supporting artistic elements like people who photoshop vectors in for Elfen Lied cosplays and such. But I have a problem when the touchups go so far the picture no longer resembles the person it's of. This is pretty old but this video made by Dove shows a regular model having this done.

EDIT:
Quote:

Ack! Someone beat me to it.
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

What other people want to Photoshop is pretty much entirely fine with me--I figure it's their business.

But me, as a matter of taste, I like looking at skin with pores and fabric with texture and the odd loose thread or bit of smudged makeup. In a time where CG perfection is everywhere, it's the human flaw that becomes precious.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
nannyogg
:)

I don't prefer things that are heavily photoshopped to make the person look like someone else; though I do think it's neat when people add in special effects. I won't say I don't like looking at pretty pictures, I just take them for what they are- pretty bits of imagination loosely based on the original.

For pictures of myself or pictures I take, I much prefer reality. I may mess with the lighting, but that's about it. My personal preference is for photographers who bring out the character of the individual, not take away the individuality. A good photographer with an eye for pose and angle can bring out the beauty and character in any subject. And there is no one size fits all when it comes to beauty- Rick Guidotti proves that!
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Kildread
I can fix it!

I don't like photoshop.

While it's a given that cosplay can be partly about illusion, it feels -off- to resort to after-shot picture edition to bring out features.

If it's in an effort to correct your own flaws, isn't it the same as trying to fool yourself as well?

Whenever I see outstanding cosplay pictures, I always have a nagging feeling photoshop had its hand somewhere in there and it wasn't just about outstanding photography.

That's my 2 cents.

Granted, I'm really just an amateur to it all and my own picture albums are limited to 2 conventions with no edits past very few picture brightness changes (3~4 pics).
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I like having the skill to actually take a good base picture, so all that's needed is a sizing down, and maybe some adjustment of lighting or a blemish touch-up. I certainly don't care for photoshop used to make the cosplayers look not even human (one reason I'm not fond of japanese cosplay photos; most of the time, they look so FAKE). If you want to look that perfect, then just learn how to draw the stuff in CGI, you'll get the same effect.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote