Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
mitsuki_sairen
Orange God Believer

forget I even said something...
mitsuki_sairen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #47
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I don't personally mind the use of photoshopping, but to the point where you don't look like yourself anymore is pretty pointless.
Especially when you get those silly people who worship the overly photoshopped cosplayers saying things like "omg that cosplayer is so amazing and look ttly like the character".
And looking at the photo you really think you yourself, "I highly doubt that cosplayer's picture is that amazing under the shoop or even looks like that". And that's usually the case. Photoshop can do wonders, but it's also very obvious.
I saw a nice Chii photo before, the picture in itself was amazing in an artistic way But the Chii had the wrong colour hair, and the cosplay she was wearing -which was white- was brightened to the point you couldn't see any details. No offense but how can that be considered a great cosplay if you can't exactly see it?

Also, saw a Haruhi cosplayer who had her eyes photoshopped to look more "anime like". Yeah, it made her look like she was on crack -no offense- But that didn't stop people from posting "Omg so kawaii desudesu" Really?

I sometime wonder why some people bother cosplaying if they're going to alter their looks completely and constantly using photoshop - sad to know there's some cosplayers that actually do this.

Fair enough if you want to play around and do it once or twice but your whole gallery? Big no no.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 02-13-2011 at 02:46 PM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #48
Misa_Loves_L
Queen of Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
I don't personally mind the use of photoshopping, but to the point where you don't look like yourself anymore is pretty pointless.
Especially when you get those silly people who worship the overly photoshopped cosplayers saying things like "omg that cosplayer is so amazing and look ttly like the character".
And looking at the photo you really think you yourself, "I highly doubt that cosplayer's picture is that amazing under the shoop or even looks like that". And that's usually the case. Photoshop can do wonders, but it's also very obvious.
I saw a nice Chii photo before, the picture in itself was amazing in an artistic way But the Chii had the wrong colour hair, and the cosplay she was wearing -which was white- was brightened to the point you couldn't see any details. No offense but how can that be considered a great cosplay if you can't exactly see it?

Also, saw a Haruhi cosplayer who had her eyes photoshopped to look more "anime like". Yeah, it made her look like she was on crack -no offense- But that didn't stop people from posting "Omg so kawaii desudesu" Really?

I sometime wonder why some people bother cosplaying if they're going to alter their looks completely and constantly using photoshop - sad to know there's some cosplayers that actually do this.

Fair enough if you want to play around and do it once or twice but your whole gallery? Big no no.
Agree 100%
Misa_Loves_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #49
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~

Photoshop is not lying in the same way that binding, waist cinchers, control panties, push-up bras and muscle suits aren't lying. Why are these accepted parts of cosplay for most people, yet photoshop isn't? As a cosplayer who mostly does photoshoots and doesn't compete in Masquerades particularly, I don't understand the mentality of being able to 'lie' about your body shape by doing those things, but if you do it digitally it's wrong.
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #50
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOcarina View Post
Photoshop is not lying in the same way that binding, waist cinchers, control panties, push-up bras and muscle suits aren't lying. Why are these accepted parts of cosplay for most people, yet photoshop isn't? As a cosplayer who mostly does photoshoots and doesn't compete in Masquerades particularly, I don't understand the mentality of being able to 'lie' about your body shape by doing those things, but if you do it digitally it's wrong.
Amen, sister.

Makeup is every bit as "dishonest" in intent and function as photoshop. Let's not forget how shifty and deceptive wigs, color contacts, false nails, push-up bras, nylons, body-stockings, and flattering cuts are.

Costuming is ABOUT deception. To be accused of deciet in a hobby like this is pretty darned ridiculous.

And at the end of the day, the only person you can really hurt by your own decision to bend yourself to an unrealistic societal standard of beauty through makeup, control garments, photoshop, a wig, etc. is you. If you can't stand the look of yourself without photoshopping off three quarters of your face or body ~ you may have a problem. If others are pitching a fit about your photoshopped images being unfair, deceptive or proof that you're a lesser cosplayer than they are, chances are, they have the problem.

None of us have the least bit ability to change the looks we were born with short of "deception" or surgery. Why on earth should we be so harsh on people on account of something they didn't earn or work for and can't help anyway? Your face is your canvas. We don't all get the same canvas. No, it's not fair. But life isn't fair. If fairness is really that much of an issue: cosmetics and photoshop probably even level the playing field a bit since anyone with the time to learn how is able to use it.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-14-2011 at 01:40 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #51
Ritsu H Saotome
Fail Shadow Photographer

As someone who uses photoshop constantly, I only use it mainly to fix the picture and add certain effects. The only alteration I've thought of doing is eye color because not everyone can wear eye contacts (cosmetic), if asked. (I will do so for myself).
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #52
Zaviera
Loving the sexy

Some of those looks kinda fake to me.

And IMHO, this is the shit that drives me the most insane. The crazy glowingness that just looks terrible. I have a friend that does that to her cosplay photos and it's just. . . ugh.

Currently working on:
Shiki Misaki from The World Ends With You (about 30% done).

Next up is:
Polka from Eternal Sonata.

Couple cosplay? Yessir! <3 Love you baby~
Zaviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #53
Axelai
I'm Awesome

If you have to photoshop yourself to look THAT different, you're obviously not comfortable enough in your body to be cosplaying something like that.

Though i can't stop you, i still don't think its right. If you're doing that for your own fun, though, i guess its okay.

Unlike an ex of mine, who we met online and she only sent me uber photoshopped pictures of herself. I met her in real life later, and she was significantly fatter, as well as SO not as cute. I didn't even recognize her.

I do photoshop my own pictures. But just my acne. Thats it.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #54
asdf522
Banned

what is a great topic. I like photoshop.
asdf522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #55
Ritsu H Saotome
Fail Shadow Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaviera View Post
Some of those looks kinda fake to me.

And IMHO, this is the shit that drives me the most insane. The crazy glowingness that just looks terrible. I have a friend that does that to her cosplay photos and it's just. . . ugh.
0.o, I can't believe people think overexposing an image is a good idea.
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #56
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOcarina View Post
I agree with this is principle - photoshot is just another tool; but I think that if you change so many much of the image that theres practically nothing left of the original person or shot then maybe its becomes more digital art than cosplay?
Its very hard to define a "too much" line though so I think in the end there are always gonna be physical 'pureists' that don't like large scale modifications and those that want a shot thats identical to a character even if the majority of it was PSed in.
Personally, I like to look at other people photos to see how close they can get it WITHOUT (well you guess anyways) PS, but I don't judge who use it.
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #57
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

I also think it is okay to photoshop eye color if you're too poor to own contacts(like me ^^")

Things like acne and blemishes are understandable; if you photoshop them out of a picture it's not like it will look fake or anything. Same with crazy hair strands or if your costume has a weird place where it sticks out in a picture or two. I was resizing one of my pictures the other day and noticed an odd ripple in my dress, so I just Liquified it back into place.
Heavens_Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #58
sandquillgw
My hair glows when I sing

Alright.......let me first say that whatever anyone wants to do with their own photos is their own business and completely up to them. It doesn't really effect me any if someone posts a photo straight from the camera or photoshopped to heck and back. They are both valid. I personally won't photoshop my own photos for anything other than a skin imperfection or two like scars or a big ol' pimple or some special effects stuff. Whenever I do any kind of big change like eye color change or some kind of waterbending I will note it when posting the photo. I do see cosplay as art but more of a physical/costume/performance art and that is why I see things like makeup/bras/binding/wigs/etc.. as being different from photoshop. It's something that you are physically changing and can be seen and touched in person. More real I guess? It's really difficult to put in to words. Seeing a picture of someone's cosplay I want to see what was actually there not some sort of fabricated fantasy. This is just my personal preference and I have no way of knowing if a pic has been shopped or not. If that much is being changed it's almost like digital animation and I'm left wondering what was the point of making the cosplay and posing for the picture? Why not just digitally animate whatever scene or character you were going for?

Katsucon '15
Zenkaikon '15
Wizard World Philly '15

currently working on:

Bravest Warriors - Catbug
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - Eucliwood
Candyland - Princess Frostine

Plus repairs and improvements on numerous costumes!!
sandquillgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #59
tabbykat

I don't care what anyone does to photos of themselves.... so ya wanna photoshop yourself to have smooth skin, a longer neck, slimmer build, lose 30 odd-kilogrammes.... okay.. whatever...

End of the day, it doesn't matter really... photoshopping is an action and really, if you are okay with the consequences and implications of that action.. so be it...

I can understand the desire to look good.. I mean... who doesn't want people saying to you how nice you look? Especially if you never felt throughout your entire life that you actually look good....

I sometimes think that there's a real need in this particular hobby for individuals to defer judgment and instead try and understand the motivations behind actions that might seem "objectionable" / "socially unacceptable"... perhaps the question to be asked is... if I object a certain action done by a particular individual....why am I feeling this sense of irritation? Am I also guilty of similar action (in this case... in this case, touching on notions of personal integrity) done in perhaps another area of my life?

Personally I too was once sorely tempted to use photoshop to remove my double chin... (It's a big problem area... doesn't matter how much I work out, I still have a double chin and a neck that's short and thick)

However, I decided in the end to leave it as is... Reason?

1. so I can tell ... through a photo journey of progressive events attended by myself... if I made any personal progress in working out / staying fit

2. so people can recognise me if I'm meeting them at an event

3. so I can see me for how I really was at a certain point in my life....
tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #60
Shuko

Ugh... I completely overlooked this whole debate...

First of all, lots of those photos were obviously reverse-shopped... in other words, the "artist" took an original picture of a decent-looking or good-looking person and shopped it to look (in most cases) fatter and greasier.

But all that nonsense aside, let's just be frank with ourselves, folks. As cosplayers, anything that we do for our costumes is visual mimicry and camouflage. We don't dress up as other characters so that we can portray ourselves as we always are. We dress up so that we can portray ourselves as that character. Wearing makeup, binding boobage, and photoshopping away (or in) details is all part of the same vein. Why debate about which is better or worse when it's all pretty much the same thing?

I don't like photoshopping my photos at all, because I never produce results that please me enough when I do it. And I don't like wearing makeup, because I never got used to the feeling of it on my skin. I do enjoy dressing up as fictional characters, and I will even wear makeup if it's necessary to keep myself from looking like death in a photograph, but I'm not going to kid myself into believing that it's going to be all 100% me in the photo. It's just not realistic.

We're cosplayers, people! We are performers! We provide visual avatars of ourselves to the convention world, so that our creations can be admired. Some of us may do it so that WE can be admired, but in doing so we are only fooling ourselves. Cosplay is an art form, just like any other. You can admire the artist, but in the end, it's the art that really leaves a lasting impression. If you feel that the only way for your art to be perfect is to shop the hell out of it and make yourself totally unrecognizable, then so be it. That is your budou... your way. Just don't get all defensive when people cry foul and say it isn't you. It ISN'T you. It's your art. You're just a channel for its entrance into this world. Be content with that, and you'll never sweat the small stuff.
Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote