Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Funny Comments/Questions from Parents?

This has been brought up a few time on GCC chat but I felt extending past cosplay and talk about things they said about anime/manga/video games/whatever. Also doesn't have to be parents but also other relatives, friends, etc.

I have some Death Note figures and one time my mom picked up L and said "Why is Harry Potter in this position?"

While showing my sister the first Death Note movie, she asked me to pause it so she can ask a question. "How can he be in two places at once?" Apparently she thought L and Light were the same person. She also though Ryuk's name was Kira.

Right before leaving for the con my dad asked "Are you going as Denmark?" I cosplay Finland. I thought he should know that because I talked about this cosplay for months.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Lovelychristina
Free hugs inquire within.

"When Should I Expect grand kids?" Mom when I announced I had a Boyfriend. She kept Hinting for me to have a Child During my Entire Relationship with him.
Lovelychristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
LadyEvanescent

"So we aren't making that sword?" And you could just hear the disappointment in his voice when I said I wanted to make a cosplay for the ren faire.
LadyEvanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelychristina View Post
"When Should I Expect grand kids?" Mom when I announced I had a Boyfriend. She kept Hinting for me to have a Child During my Entire Relationship with him.
All of your posts seem to be like elaborate novel titles. It's funny.

On topic with the thread: "Where's my daughter at?" my papa stated once, the day after he saw me crossplay for the first time.
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelychristina View Post
My mom used to say things like that all the time. Not only was I not dating anyone, I was in high school. I was like "So you want me to be a teen mother?" She eventually quit this.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
pltshp
i did what i have to do

"When did your room turn into China?"

I have a fair few posters of Korean boy bands on my wall, which never fails to perplex her because she thinks they're all the same. Especially because one group has 13 members in the posters... she can't believe that it's all just one group, haha.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
nannyogg
:)

My mom used to tell me "Remember, you don't have to be married to have kids."

Once she told me she was going to disown me because I'm (in her words) "too f*cking altruistic." I thought that was one of the most bizarre things someone has ever said to me.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
lyraparry11

When my parents say anything about why I'm working on a costume months before I'm going to a con. They think these costumes just come together in a week. No.

When my parents tell me to go shut myself up in my room and work on cosplays.
Anime Boston attendee since 2009
lyraparry11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyogg View Post
My mom used to tell me "Remember, you don't have to be married to have kids."
My grandmother used to tell me this once every few months before she died. She wanted grandchildren from me so badly that she was totally willing to wrest them from my womb with donations from anonymous sperm donors O-o

Poor grandma.

I know I disappointed her... but I'd really rather have kids when I'm financially stable.

Still ~ good advice to keep in mind.

In this day and age, husbands ARE sort of optional :/

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
shortsheik

I once had a guy ask me out who I didn't care for in any way. He wasn't a bad guy or anything, but I had absolutely no interest in him. So, of course, I turned him down.

Later my mother said I should have accepted, because even if I didn't have any interest in him, 'it would have been good practice'.

>_< Fail mother. Fail.
shortsheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Too bad that little children are a pain. I don't think I could ever have kids. I'm sensitive to loud noises and children are notorious for making those. I typically can't be in the same room as a small child for very long.

Unread 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Chaletica
[laughs]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Too bad that little children are a pain. I don't think I could ever have kids. I'm sensitive to loud noises and children are notorious for making those. I typically can't be in the same room as a small child for very long.
I know how you feel. I don't like little kids and babies much either, and some of the reason is the sound. I can tolerate them somewhat if they shut the hell up, but I'd never be able to take care of a child myself.
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
nannyogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
My grandmother used to tell me this once every few months before she died. She wanted grandchildren from me so badly that she was totally willing to wrest them from my womb with donations from anonymous sperm donors O-o

Poor grandma.

I know I disappointed her... but I'd really rather have kids when I'm financially stable.

Still ~ good advice to keep in mind.

LOL, I'm with you... definitely better to wait until you're ready/stable... My mom always lamented she'd never get grandkids. I was 31 and finishing my PhD when I had my first one, 33 with my second. Then I married their dad and adopted two more. Then I figured out their dad was more work than all the kids and divorced him, then adopted one more.

Now my mom says I have too many kids because I can't afford their college. And I have to remind her that she didn't pay for college for either of her two kids and I got my education just fine (my brother is career Navy). She usually gets quiet and says she has to go after that.

I guess my family is kind of backward... my brother has been happily married 20+ years and chose not to have kids; I'm happily single with 5.
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
sam vimes
A real live wire

Six weeks before I got married:

"There's something seriously wrong with you, and I'm saying this as your mother. It's like something important inside you is missing, some emotional piece of you isn't there."

Oh, wait....funny things. Let me get back to you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
nannyogg

Oh... I remember one incident with my mom that cracked me up. My mom tends to think she knows what she's talking about when she doesn't sometimes, and her hearing isn't the greatest but she won't admit it... so back when I was married... she, my then husband, and I were in a restaurant and he farted, loud enough that I heard it, but I guess she didn't. He laughed and made a comment that there must be barking spiders around. He was talking quietly enough that pretty much just we could hear it. My mom says, loud enough that probably everyone in the restaurant could hear, "Barking spiders? Where? I haven't seen barking spiders in years, since back when we lived in California and..." Everyone was staring at her and my ex and I were about falling out of our chairs laughing, and she realizes something is not quite right and stops mid-sentence and looks at us. My ex pulled it together to look at her with a straight face and says, "Um, mom... barking spiders are farts!"
Thank goodness she has a sense of humor, and after she turned about 30 shades of red, started laughing with us.