Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 301 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #496
benihime
Kimono Queen

@miugiko - your progress looks great so far!!!
@Raiphin - SO CUTE! i love how it's so poofy :3

I so want to make spoiler!madoka and soon. grrrr. But i'll probably make school madoka first since I have the wig
for anyone who has done the school uniform, how have you done the small triangle trim?

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #497
Raiphin
compulsive problem solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post

I so want to make spoiler!madoka and soon. grrrr. But i'll probably make school madoka first since I have the wig
for anyone who has done the school uniform, how have you done the small triangle trim?
thanks!

I've seen people use white ricrac (http://www.thelittlefabricshop.com/I...e-ric-rack.jpg) and sew it just so so that the white triangle part sticks out.

Current Costumes:
Hamyuts Meseta 80% complete
Rise Kujikawa 15% complete
Card Captor Sakura 90% complete
Kyubey with Big Book of Contracts
Raiphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #498
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I've seem tangle lace or scalloped lace used as well.

Raiphin were/what is this transparent clay you used??? I can think of so many applications for that. ^__^

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #499
miugiko
SAO FEEEEEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post

Thanks! c':
Ooh, it'd be awesome to see more Godoka cosplay. I hope to do her one day when I have more skills and money, haha. And for the trim, you could get away with using ric rac, although like Ani_BEE said, lace works too.

-----

I'm planning on starting Homura once I finish up Madoka. I'm having trouble deciding on her skirt though. Is it a knife pleated skirt or a box pleated skirt? Which would look better?

-----

Just found this: http://animeangelcosplay.deviantart....rial-254359187
Not sure if you guys have seen it before but I figured it'd be useful to anybody considering Madoka or working on her right now. c:
MTAC 2013 alibaba saluja
ANIME NORTH 2013 saber ☒ asuna yuuki

Last edited by miugiko : 09-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
miugiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #500
Raiphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I've seem tangle lace or scalloped lace used as well.

Raiphin were/what is this transparent clay you used??? I can think of so many applications for that. ^__^
It comes from japan and is WAY spendy but really useful, here's the videos I watched on it before purchasing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGVE...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRBzG...eature=related

you can find Sukerukun on etsy or ebay but I found it cheapest on a buy stuff from japan site? (I think I just Froogled it, honestly. But getting set up with 2 packs and the coating liquid and some other little stuff cost me 100$ shipped. Worth it, but NOT cheap. ~_~)

The important thing to remember is that the thinner it is the more transparent it is, so it's GREAT for flowers but crappy for gems, etc.
Also it's really hard to keep a smooth finish, basically if you mold it with anything that isn't smooth plastic (I'm using plastic folders from work) the finish is pretty rough, which is lame. For the flattener thingy I used a tortilla press. They're cheap.

Current Costumes:
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #501
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Making a mold of a flower or something with a lot of under cuts is extremely dificult so this is as very good one off application use of clay. ^_^

FanEXPO

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #502
AkitoKitty

Hi everyone ^^ I'll be attempting to make Madoka's costume real soon, right now I'm just doing the research xD I've come up with a couple questions, if anyone could help me with them that would be great.. xD
I'm trying to look for a pattern online for the bodice, I've never made something like that so Im clueless T,T also, Im having a hard time trying to figure out how to make the petal skirt part? I've seen one person online give a short explaination on how, but that involved pi and math, so I was like... O-o; Also, how can i get ruffles onto my socks? Because socks stretch.. and ruffles dont.. ^^; I want to see if I could make the bow, but I have no idea where to start on that, any ideas?
I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing, sorry if Im asking dumb questions. xP
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #503
Raiphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoKitty View Post
Hi everyone ^^ I'll be attempting to make Madoka's costume real soon, right now I'm just doing the research xD I've come up with a couple questions, if anyone could help me with them that would be great.. xD
I'm trying to look for a pattern online for the bodice, I've never made something like that so Im clueless T,T also, Im having a hard time trying to figure out how to make the petal skirt part? I've seen one person online give a short explaination on how, but that involved pi and math, so I was like... O-o; Also, how can i get ruffles onto my socks? Because socks stretch.. and ruffles dont.. ^^; I want to see if I could make the bow, but I have no idea where to start on that, any ideas?
I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing, sorry if Im asking dumb questions. xP
--I didn't attach the ruffles to either my socks or my gloves, instead just had them sit above it and stick to each other with velcro. (safety pin if necessary) That way you can change socks/gloves O_O people like it when you can change your socks.

--this tutorial is the one I used for my petal skirt (and white skirt mostly) (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...skirt#/d1hvoe6) yes there is math but that awesome (read: crappy) thing about sewing is that it's ALL ABOUT THE MATH! *eyetwitch* Just go slow and try it out on a sheet from Goodwill first, or something. Making mock-ups makes it sooo much easier to do the real thing later.

--the proportion I used on the petal skirt was to have the actual petals be equilateral triangles basically and then have the skirt TOTAL length be the height of the traiangle \|/ (the straight line in that upside-down triangle there) times 2. You'll have to nip the petal skirt in a bit in between the petals if you want the skirt to lie flat, btw. But don't do that until you've got the white skirt figured out so you know it'll lie like you want it to.

--I used a sweetheart neckline bodice pattern from Simplicity but altered it a fair bit. It would probably be easiest for a novice to base the pattern off a tube?

--DO NOT try and make the front open with buttons, it's WAY easier to make it a fake front and put a zipper in the back. (Also, if relevant, buttons + boobies = not friends.)

--I made my bow out of pvc pipe, left-over milky tubing from the hoop skirt, duct tape, and school glue (lots of layer of school glue O_O) You can totally work something out. Many people have just used an actual branch if you find one the right shape.

hope that helps ^ - ~

Current Costumes:

Last edited by Raiphin : 09-09-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: lots more info
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #504
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Or try to put an invisable zipper in your side seam from unver the arm to the hip for a snugger fit to get in and out of it. Most of the china made ones did this is and it looks really nice.

FanEXPO

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Unread 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #505
miugiko
SAO FEEEEEELS

I drafted my own pattern for the bodice, but it's essentially a sweetheart neck line. I measured my bust and worked off that. But since you mentioned that you're new to sewing then finding a pattern that has a sweetheart neckline would work.

I found and linked to a tutorial that would help you a lot when making the white skirt and the petal skirt as well: http://animeangelcosplay.deviantart....F43914576&qo=0 I'm going to be using this tutorial myself but I found it to be really easy to understand. There's math involved, but you can't really sew without doing some calculations every now and then.

But yeah, what Raiphin said: don't make the front open with buttons. What I'm doing is installing an invisible zipper on one of the sides so I'll be able to slip in and out with more ease.
MTAC 2013 alibaba saluja
ANIME NORTH 2013 saber ☒ asuna yuuki
miugiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #506
Siyana

Fourthing the don't use buttons! I did it and the front of mine looks terrible and doesn't fit as well as I'd like. I'd go with the side seam anibee suggested because of the heart cutout in the back.

What I did for my socks was I just stretched it as far as it would go and I stitched lace to it. When you wear the sock it won't stretch as far and it kind of automatically ruffled... Kind of a bad explanation haha.

My bow were two fake flowers with a ton of wire wrapped around it and covered in paper mβchι. Spraypaint and weathering do tons to make it look realistic
~ Presea - Tales of Symphonia
~ Mia - Fire Emblem

Next convention: NorCal summer gathering
Deviant Art
Siyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #507
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

You can interface the button hole panels with fusible interface to make it more ridged to help some or the rippling but it's not going to make it 100% some unless you add boning as well.

FanEXPO

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Unread 09-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #508
AkitoKitty

Thanks so much everyone for the input.. m-,-m Yes i never intended to put buttons in the front, for some reason even though i never tried it I didn't think it would be a good idea... xD, coincidentially i found all of the tutorials mentioned above and was going to try to work with those.. It'll be my first time making a circle skirt so I'm going to try it out on random fabric first, it'll also be my first time trying a..sweetheart neckline? xD I never knew they had a name...Raphain, I think I'll try something like that for the bow, thanks for the elaboration on the petal skirt, i was about to blow something up xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
You can interface the button hole panels with fusible interface to make it more ridged to help some or the rippling but it's not going to make it 100% some unless you add boning as well.
... I kind of understood this, but not? Is this what i would do if I were to put real buttons in the bodice? (im not planning on it, but just asking.. xD)
and, I just learned about interfacing yesterday, if Im right, it makes like.. fabric thicker or something? Could I put it on like, the bodice and petal skirt, or is it not like that?
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #509
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I have decided that I will cosplay Magical Girl!Madoka
I already have the PERFECT super poofy cupcake petticoat and I ordered a Kyubey plushie for it. Excited to start with this but I can't start yet as I'm not doing it until May next year and I have others to focus on and complete first ><

Also.. could anyone here tell me how to go about making the soul gem accessory? ^^;

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #510
SushiBunnie
K-POP Enthusiast

Hey everyone, I just got into Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I'm hooked! I was thinking of cosplaying Kyubey (humanized version) for my next upcoming con. The outfit will include a short cape with a hood, gloves, a tank, and a 2-layer ruffle skirt with pink being the bottom layer and white being the top. I plan on including a huge bow in the back along with Kyubey's tail.

But the only thing that I'm stuck on...is the rings on kyubey's ears and the ears itself! I'll be buying a sakura Hatsune miku wig as the base. I want the ears to be exactly like Kyubey's (rabbit ears coming out of cat ears haha). Coincidentally, it's similar to Hatsune miku's Project Diva kimono outfit for the song Magnet.

Any ideas on how to do this? Thaanks! :3
XNFE [BLACK★ROCK SHOOTER: THE GAME]
Rin Kagamine (Default) [VOCALOID2]

YouTube: SushiiBunniie
DeviantArt: Miss-Mimiko

SushiBunnie is offline   Reply With Quote