Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
ParaELLE

Lovely Weather...

Well. I know I'm going to be cosplaying Hetalia for Anime North this year, in May! ;3 I'm a wee bit unsure though- seeing as I hate being hot and sticky and GROSS D; My friend, who is cosplaying with me, is having the same problem.

We're most likely going on Saturday and Sunday, and will have 2 costumes. I will be going as England and Snapped! Canada *Drool, and she is going as New Holland and probably Bloody Sunday Russia *Drool.

I'm freaking out because I'm going to die from the heat! Military uniforms BAKE you! I was just making this topic to ask what I should do. Use a lighter fabric? If so, what one? How do you keep wigs from locking in heat? Any ways that aren't noticable? What about those clunky boots and pants?

Apparently, the past year's at Anime North have had people passing out...but this year they're putting up water stations around the con.
ParaELLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Devkyu

What material did you originally plan on using? You might be able to substitute it for a slightly lighter or simply more breathable fabric. When planning costumes, I take the weather of the convention I plan to wear it to into consideration.

As for the wigs trapping in heat... not sure how to help you there. To keep cool in general, I suggest you bring one of those misting water bottles that have the fan attached. If you've ever been to some place like Disney World, you will definitely be already acquainted with them. Pack it full of ice before you leave and it will keep cool as it melts throughout the day.

For the boots, I suggest just wearing nice athletic socks meant to wick away sweat and be extra breathable. For keeping the overall feeling of being sweaty and gross at bay... bring a little package of wet wipes with you and maybe take breaks to wipe off some of the sweat in the restrooms.
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Hey! As a seventeen-year veteran of a summer Renaissance Faire, and a fellow Hetalia cosplayer, I think I may be able to help. When we cosplayed Hetalia for the first time, it was July. We hadn't forseen the weather like you are, so we were stuck with our hot costumes (mine - I'm France - and my Russia's is lined with satin, even.) To begin with, I tried not to wear my gloves unless I absolutely had to. My Russia kept her scarf on the whole time, but the huge thing is great for hiding ice packs. If you want, you could press an ice pack to the back of your Russia's neck (make sure it's mostly just cold, rather than frozen, or that it's wrapped in a towel to avoid frost bite of any sort) and hide it with their scarf. Manada and England might be harder. Try to avoid wearing anything unnecessary under your outfit. If you're binding, especially, make sure you take time to unbind and cool down. In July, the whole group of Hetalia cosplayers took off a few layers after the shoot and sat inside to cool down.

I really can't suggest many ways to avoid the heat other than taking breaks, remaining hydrated, and keeping an eye on each other. Carrying an ice pack with you might be a good idea. If not, you can try a wet towel. Those work until they warm to match your body temperature.

...That wasn't as useful as I had hoped, but I hope you got something from that! Best of luck!

In-Progress Cosplay
Sephiroth - FFVII: Advent Children - 5%
Agent Maine- Red vs Blue - 5%
Hiccup - HTTYD2 - 80%

The Bet Is Off
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
sdeegan
Fellow Procrastinator

I think they had water stations last year too.
sdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Just keep yourself hydrated.

Anime LA was ROASTING. And i had full WW2 America cosplay on.

But there were water stations everywhere. I didn't sweat too bad or die or anything, as i kept myself very hydrated *thumbs up*

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
ParaELLE

Thanks for all of your input! I really like the ice-pack idea!
As it turns out- we have both agreed to follow our friend Germany (Her nickname by me)
So our costumes have changed!

We are going as North Italy and South Italy~ It fits perfectly because were twins...mentally.
I'm going to make Italy's costume and keep them in my bag-
I think for the most part though, I'm going to be cosplaying 'Vacation' Italy.
The shorts and shirt wont make me to hot! Haha.

I can also think of many ways to mess with my Germany, and Romano >:3
ParaELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Emiko87

I was first going to be wearing my Lithuania cosplay in June, so I made it out of cotton. It breathes very well, though it is a light fabric so it doesn't drape as nicely as heavier fabrics do.