Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Savi-Chan
Savi-Chan

Ganguro Girl Cosplay

So I want your thoughts as people who cosplay as Ganguro
( for people who don't know what that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro )

There is a convention coming up that I decided to go to and with no cosplay ready for it I've decided I might just try being a Ganguro, it's simple and easy to make but I want peoples thoughts if they don't like seeing it at cons, or if they think it's cool, just any thoughts about it!

Unread 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Xcele

ganguro looks kinda creep o_O. girls look much better without all that make up and tanning. but if you want to definitely be different and stand out. then go for it! =D
Xcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Musouka_Ningyou

Well...

Ganguro is a fashion, not a costume, so keep that in mind.

Personally, I'm not the type to want to cosplay as a fashion, especially a defunct one (and gyaru is all about being up to the minute). You can do wahtever you like, but if you go for it, please try to do it well.
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Kumagoraa
*Lurk Lurk Lurk*

I think going as a ganguro would be so cool! I think the out-there style is awesome. Just go all out! Leis, ring pops, Hello Kitty, rinestones, and extravagant nails! I've always wanted to see one.

I think ganguros are like the original (and/or Japanese equivalent) to scene kids.
Only more fun. <3
Kumagoraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Savi-Chan
Savi-Chan

Thanks! I definetly think I'm going to try this out!

I agree it's a funner scene style in Japan and hey it's a style like lolita is there, but you see so many lolitas now at cons might as well try the total opposite and be a ganguro! I will be sure to take pictures, Tons of flowers, neon clothes, bright stickers and of course hello kitty will be all over my body!
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
MidnightKitten

I think it's cute, quirky, and I wish to see it more often done on non-japanese people for a change. I was looking at some of your pictures, and I really think you can pull it off since you're already kinda tan. If/when you do it, I personally can't wait to see pix :3 Good luck!
MidnightKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Kumagoraa
*Lurk Lurk Lurk*

Can't wait to see it! Have fun! ^^
Kumagoraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Rogue-dono
Busy Cosplayer

Hello! I want to give you a few warnings and some good advice when it comes to cosplaying this fashion.

Ganguro is very dead. It died as a fashion in Japan in 1999. The current style is Manba, though it is not at present as popular as other gyaru styles. Manba is the updated Ganguro and Yamanba style. There are LOTS of communities online dedicated to hunting up cosplayers who attempt gyaru (especially when 'ganguro' is present), and do nothing put post trash about the photos and ridicule them. Western Gyaru scene is not very forgiving when it comes to people doing dead styles.

I think your face structure will look better with Manba style, personally. I would suggest looking up Pin-san, who is a very popular gyaru in the western scene, and famous for her manba meikki and fashion. Here is one of her tutorials:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/M...__/meikki1.png

Here are some other things to avoid:

*Stickers. They are horrible and unattractive in nearly all cases.
*Avoid blotching your white. Make it smoothe and blend it.
*Blend blend blend!
*The stipe on your nose should not be too thick, and make sure to blend it!

I hope that helps a bit! I wish you good luck! I used to be part of manba and banba fashion, but now I just do oniikei and b-gyaru. ^^ I am VERY familiar with how western gyaru scene works at its worst, and I want to avoid you getting yourself put into those communities on a bad foot. D: Here in St. Louis, there are people who go to the cons here just to take pictures of 'ganguro' cosplayers and post them on the internet, just to make fun of them. PLEASE be careful! If you ever want additional help improving makeup or anything, please don't hesitate to ask!

GOOD LUCK!! I hope to see pics soon! (I also hope I got this to you before the convention. T__T I dont want to be useless help. lol)

Official Facebook
Rogue-dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

As has been mentioned, ganguro is a rather dead style and there does seem to be some ridicule for it in some places.

But go ahead with it if you want to, there are also other styles that you could try which look to me like a less-over-the-top type of ganguro and tend to be refered to as gal/gyaru but I'm not quite too sure what to call them.
Like this or this (I know they look different, the second one is 'hime' gyaru/gal)
I think this type of style would suit you much better personally and they also tend to be more present currently in Japan from what I can gather though I'm not 100% sure. But if you really want to stand out, ganguro stands out much more.

I'm not exactly an expert on Japanese styles, maybe someone else could provide better information. Sorry.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 02-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Just putting this out here but; ganguro IS a style however if the anime character IS a ganguro than there is no harm done cosplaying as the character who is ganguro. I commend you for doing this style even thought its pretty old, also ive never seen it done at a con before. At the same time the notion of ganguro being a simple style is not at all true. You for one; you have to Super Dark tan ,Dyed Hair (blonde) or (blonde/grey) and Extensions(you could always get a wig on this), White eyeshadow, eyliner, and concealer, White and black mascara, Jewels, gems, stickers, fake teardrops, Glitter face powder, White lipstick, Fake hibiscus flowers ,Assorted Accessories, Bright Clothes, Miniskirt, Platforms , and lastly Decorative Nails.
All of this is doing ganguro the right way.

Also putting another thing out there; you could always cosplay as a gyaru. And yes while this is a fashion style it can equally be a cosplay if a character from an anime/videogame/visual novel/ dating sim are wearing it as their clothes. I think Gyaru can be a much simpler choice compared to a ganguro becasue of the broad variety of sect styles. Also if you do want to do the gyaru cosplay but don't want to tan you could always do the ganjiro

here are some examples of what was popular last year in november
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gyaru one.jpg (165.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gyaru two.jpg (162.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gyaru three.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gyaru five.jpg (136.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gyaru eight school type.jpg (182.5 KB, 0 views)

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
MidnightKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshirua3846384 View Post
Just putting this out here but; ganguro IS a style however if the anime character IS a ganguro than there is no harm done cosplaying as the character who is ganguro. I commend you for doing this style even thought its pretty old, also ive never seen it done at a con before. At the same time the notion of ganguro being a simple style is not at all true. You for one; you have to Super Dark tan ,Dyed Hair (blonde) or (blonde/grey) and Extensions(you could always get a wig on this), White eyeshadow, eyliner, and concealer, White and black mascara, Jewels, gems, stickers, fake teardrops, Glitter face powder, White lipstick, Fake hibiscus flowers ,Assorted Accessories, Bright Clothes, Miniskirt, Platforms , and lastly Decorative Nails.
All of this is doing ganguro the right way.

Also putting another thing out there; you could always cosplay as a gyaru. And yes while this is a fashion style it can equally be a cosplay if a character from an anime/videogame/visual novel/ dating sim are wearing it as their clothes. I think Gyaru can be a much simpler choice compared to a ganguro becasue of the broad variety of sect styles. Also if you do want to do the gyaru cosplay but don't want to tan you could always do the ganjiro

here are some examples of what was popular last year in november
Thank you for these so much, srsly, they help since I'm practicing gal style. I saved every one of them. xD where did you find these?
Unread 02-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
TheseResinWings
Miss Molly Macaroon

I love seeing people dress in Ganguro fashion. A lot of people don't care to keep up to date on the latest trends of Japan (unless they are like super hard core fans) so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Seriously, how many people do you think will really go out of their way to say, "Well ganguros do this now, not that"? If that does happen, take it with a grain of salt and just try and brush them off.
TheseResinWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Musouka_Ningyou

I don't think anyone would say that to her face, but if someone dresses poorly in gyaru fashion, people -will- notice. Especially on the internet, but also in real life.

Really, if it makes you happy to dress in ganguro, then go right ahead. But please try to do it well instead of just throwing on some random clothes, putting on a ton of bronzer, and poorly applying some white facepaint. Do your research, put some effort into it.

Actually, I've seen both new-style manbas and old-style manbas at cons, so it isn't unheard of to wear more OTT versions of gyaru at cons. I think it's something like how lolitas tend to go more OTT and crazy at cons because they can get away with it/it's one of the few appropriate places to wear a crazy OTT outfit. Gyaru likely do the same thing and go for the crazier and older styles because they can get away with crazy outfits while at a con.
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightKitten View Post
Thank you for these so much, srsly, they help since I'm practicing gal style. I saved every one of them. xD where did you find these?
Oops sorry for the late reply and your welcome lol; i got these scans from http://forum.asiajam.com/general-fas...img-heavy.html

i'm already a subscriber to egg and ranzuki however since my scanner doesnt work as well and since it would have took a long time to scan and upload each pic on here i just took them off another site im actively on.

Also if you are practicing i know a site you should take note of. Go to http://ricoche.net/ its a site that have endless tutorials as well as great help when it comes to the gyaru style.

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
MidnightKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshirua3846384 View Post
Oops sorry for the late reply and your welcome lol; i got these scans from http://forum.asiajam.com/general-fas...img-heavy.html

i'm already a subscriber to egg and ranzuki however since my scanner doesnt work as well and since it would have took a long time to scan and upload each pic on here i just took them off another site im actively on.

Also if you are practicing i know a site you should take note of. Go to http://ricoche.net/ its a site that have endless tutorials as well as great help when it comes to the gyaru style.
HOLYSHRIMP!
I just had a gyarugasm. xD thanks for these, book marked em. and I think i might join up too