Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Neko Minaue
Soon-to-be cosplayer

Cosplay for children and infants

I've been thinking for a while. When I have children of mine someday I honestly wouldn't mind having them cosplay. Even for infants. I think it would be adorable. So have any of you ever made cosplays for your young children, young cousins, kids, or even infants? Are you planning any if you have kids in the future.

And for when they're infants dress them up in a cosplay outfit. I'm tempted to dress up, if I have a son I want to make him a cute Mario Raccoon costume. I'm thought of doing a Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Mask, and Rini (Chibi-Usa, whoever you want to go with) group cosplay with the family if they're okay with it.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Touko aka White Trainer (Pokemon Black & White) 15%

Then eventually...
Yoko (Gurren Laggan)
Celty Sturlson (Durarara!!)
And then someone from the new Last Exile, don't know yet but I don't care!!
and more to come
Neko Minaue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
daylight
Sugar Junkie

hahha yeah im totally gonna dress up my kids.
probably mostly as rugrats
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I'm all for the Sailor Moon group! And depending on how old the kid is, you could do ChibiChibi too! And if you need more ideas, I have two words for you: Studio Ghibli. There are tons of kid main characters in all of those movies, so that might be a good option too. Personally, I would go nuts if I saw a little Chihiro and a Rin together from Spirited Away!

And yes, if I knew a chibi and s/he wanted to cosplay with me, I would be all for it!!!
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I would definately dress up my child, if it would like to be, but I wouldn't force cosplay on them. I wouldn't take them to big cons either, just small ones - because you know, the atmosphere gets pretty rowdy and it wouldn't be fair on the kid. But I'm only 18 so it's a while yet until I even consider having any ^^;;
But when I do, oh god, I hope it's a girl so I can make her floofy and frilly stuff!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
~H~
Original H

I didn't cosplay with my son when he was an infant, but once he was able to walk around I got him started ASAP ^_-.

Here are the costumes we've done thus far:

Link and his Mother

Magma Grunt and Pikachu

Viking and Dragon Hatchling

I also made him a Cheese-kun costume that we didn't get any photos of >_<. I hope it still fits next time we try to get dressed-up.

Now, whenever I find something that I want to cosplay, I'll do my best to think of a way to incorporate my son somehow. The only thing is, I have to force myself to limit the amount of time & money that I put into his outfits. After all, he's going to grow out of them before I can blink, and more often than not stains (that may or may not come out) will magically appear before the end of the con >_<.

I like your Mario Raccoon idea! I've been wanting to dress my little guy up like Toad....only I haven't come-up with a good way to do the mushroom hat yet.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

i personally have always just thought i'd let my kids chose~ i'm just hoping they wont grow up ashamed of me or something. or well, let's say, embarrassed. iunno. hope not xD

I mean, i won't force my kids into anything... Thats the way i was raised, so it's not the way im wanna roll with my kids. i

Last edited by RinoaShadow : 02-17-2011 at 01:17 AM.
RinoaShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Ohhh I can't wait to have children of my own and dress them up >w<
I shall raise them to be as big of an anime geek as I, they shall be listening to anime and Jpop in the womb!! lol
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I'd like to have two or three kids some day...

I dearly hope that they'll start clawing at costumes from the moment they can walk, but until they tell me they want to wear one (or gessture frantically to that effect): I'm not going to stuff them into any.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
Devkyu

I considered stealing away my niece to take her to a local convention and let her prance around in costume, she enjoys playing with my wigs when I help babysit... but she's told me she doesn't want to go to any conventions when I asked her, so so much for that idea. She doesn't seem to like loud noises much and is turning into quite a nasty little brat lately, so at this point, even if she wants to I don't think I'd want to take her with me anymore.
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

my kid is 5 and has shown an interest in cosplay, but i let him tell me first. the eye opener was when he said he'd rather be edward elric than optimus prime for halloween he absolutely loves transformers, so that was extra awesome

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

If my baby niece thinks she's getting out of re-enacting the 'Dance Magic Dance' scene from Labyrinth she is SORELY mistaken.

Once she's old enough not to be amused by sock puppets, I'll make her what she wants to wear. Until then, my sister and I decide!
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Cosplay hasn't been a priority in our house for a while, but I'm thinking about it again with a bundle on the way. I've got an old-ass FFX Lulu costume I've been meaning to fix up for ages, so a fleecy Moogle costume would be the perfect accompaniment for a wee one. I don't think there's a chance in Hell my husband's going to wear a Wakka costume, though.

One of the things I remember most fondly about childhood is my mother making costumes for us, so I hope to pass on the tradition. The baby will be almost two months old this Halloween, so I'm already sort of plotting what to do in between all the other hectic preparations. Whether or not we take our children to conventions will depend largely on how our kids behave in crowded public settings, but we only go to one or two conventions a year now, anyway. I'd still love to come up with some family cosplays, even if it's just for photo shoots.

~H~, your little boy is a cutie, and your cosplays with him are ADORBZ.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Altrus
I love dogs!

~H~, you are amazing XD

Man, I can't even conceive of having kids, but, I'd raise em geeks, damn straight. Been doing the same with my younger sister for years, and now she wants to cosplay Chihiro and Katara *grin*. I consider it my civic duty. Taught my professor and his eight/nine year old daughters how to play talisman, a fantasy board game, the other day they loved it . I particularly loved when they picked the two prettiest female characters to play as, then grabbed the hideous troll and said "You play him!". I wouldn't force it onto a kid who doesn't want to... but... if you get em at the right time and make it sound fun enough, then there's no escape >D.
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

My kids are so far in the future it's kind of silly to even ponder it...

I wouldn't make them anything complicated or awkward until they were old enough to ask. Ask, and help make it-- my mum had me helping her sew from a pretty early age, and it's a good way to teach stuff. If it's something comfy that wouldn't be too different from their usual clothes though, like footie pajamas with a hood, or a simple tunic-type thing, they're not getting out of that until they're verbal enough to protest.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

I would wait till they're able to understand what is going on. I don't want to bring a kid too young because I feel they would easily get sick. I don't know how I feel about people taking pictures of my kids either. Meh, I would love to dress them up in cool costumes though, I would save it for Halloween.
I have a while before I have kids,,,or even think of having them and I have no clue how long I will be cosplaying.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote