Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #181
IddaKnoe
Idda Knoe

I had never thought of doing a jig like that before. That would make creating jumper rings so much easier! Rexluna those are great tutorials.

There are a few tips I've learned the hard way that might help someone starting out. When cutting the wire do it quickly with a sharp tool. That will help make the ring opening somewhat flush, which is a bit of a problem with bolt cutters anyhow. Pay attention to the gauge of wire. The higher the number the smaller the wire, and if you run out of wire mid project you will know what size to pick up. Don't buy wire that is too hard. If you can't bend it into a ring shape to start with, working with the metal will only harden it more. If your rings seem to pull apart too easily then open and close them a few times. This will work harden the metal and keep it secure.

I babble too much. That aside...

I'm not sure what staff to make for Anders. I know he starts the game with a Magister's Staff, but I have no idea what would be the best materials to make it with. It's so beautifully carved. I could always go with something more like Winter's Breath because that would be far more simple to do.

I'm a bit torn on which way to go. Is it worth it to make a more complicated sanity reducing prop just because he comes with it initially?
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift." - Howard A. Walter
IddaKnoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #182
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

I would just go with whatever will be easiest for you. That way less stress, and people will focus on the beauty of the Tevinter robes more!
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #183
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Speaking of staffs...thank you for reminding me xD I need to start planning that.

I will have a bit of a problem, though. I'll be bringing Hawke to Comic-con (probably won't be done for any cons before that) and I'll be driving down there with possibly a full car of people. So...transport is now an issue.

I was most likely going to make the staff that they show in the trailers. The staff/sword thing. Which there aren't a lot of pictures of >.<

I don't have a lot of experience with props, but does anyone think it would be possible to make the staff in like....two pieces? So it could be taken apart for travel? Like maybe it could be screwed together with piping or something....*totally lost*
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #184
hmwsg x

I do believe people use pvc pipe parts to take apart and reassemble staffs for travel purposes. I'll try to get photos of the staff, but for some reason the new dlc content chest in my end game estate save won't open.....><
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #185
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Aw lame! Well, thank you in advance!
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #186
hmwsg x

Alright, had to run in and out of the estate a bunch to get the chest to open xD
Staff of Parthalan. Bonus: I got to show off my sexy awesome Freddie Mercury Hawke in some of the shots xD
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #187
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Thank you so much!! I'd be lost without you xD

Looks like I might be able to have it separate at the grip, just before the blade. Hopefully.

Fingers crossed that I can find a curtain rod or something that looks like that topper.
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #188
IddaKnoe
Idda Knoe

This is a strange idea at far too early in the morning, but what if it was made it so it will unscrew it like a pool stick?

Get a wooden dowel just big enough around to slip inside the pipe for your staff. Drill a hole right down the center big enough for the t nut (see below) to fit in it, then cut the dowel in half. This way the holes will line up right. Glue it in place and secure it with a pin piece of some sort through it to make sure it doesn't fall out or spin. Maybe another dowel the size of a pencil at most? It would mean drilling through the side of the staff, through the dowel and out the other side. If that makes sense. Be sure to put the pin far enough down it won't stop the screw (Also see below) from fully twisting in place.The pipe will be painted, so if it's done clean enough you'd hardly notice.

Then hammer in a t nut in each hole. Use a double headed screw to screw them together.

If it works in one place well enough it might even be possible to break into thirds rather than just in half. I'm gonna have to try this out.
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift." - Howard A. Walter
IddaKnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #189
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

O.O You totally lost me, haha.

Although, I was thinking of using a long wooden dowel instead of a pvc pipe for the top. Since it's supposed to be wood and it's kinda funky in one spot so I could just sand it down to match the shape. I don't know how I'd do that with pipe...
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #190
quiescent
quiess

Been a while since I've posted progress.

This is the most monotonous project ever. Since I have to handsew the bloody thing, I've opted to alter the appearance of Aveline's Extreme Bib to save my poor fingers -- hand sewing through even two layers of leather makes me want to weep. So, instead of the layered look of her apron, I've decided to just do little stitches wherever.

Unfortunately I'm not the best at hand stitching :x
And there is still the back of the bloody thing... and about 25% more of the front.

Anyways, photos.

Full front.
the stitched side
my uneven stitching -- for the lulz
the buckle
Still needs to be completed stitching wise and weathering wise.

and I thought I'd toss in a photo of the boots.

work in progress --
  • Aveline Vallen (Lothering), Dragon Age II -- %95
    Lionheart (Kelsey Leigh), Marvel Universe -- 0%
    Barry, Gender Bend, Resident Evil - 0%
planned/hopeful con attendance--
  • CCEE, 2013
quiescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #191
Favieko
Roadcones protect my head

Looking really awesome, Quiescent!
Favieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #192
Bhutas

Next time we go out, Quie, you need to wear that. And dance around and everyone will call you the amazing dancing blacksmith of METAL.

Also, looks fab~!

~*2011 Convention Season*~
Otafest, CCEE, Animethon (tentative), Pure Speculation
Bhutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #193
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I love you for those! I cant find a clear screenshot of her tattoos. Thanks!
No problem!

(it sucks being away from a computer all weekend, I feel so behind!)

quiescent, I love that! It's got a very rugged feel to it I can't wait to see more progress!

I got my Merrill wig in the mail over the weekend, but I've been to busy to style it. I also received my tattoo transfer paper which takes about a day to process the tattoos (you need to print it, let it dry, add the adhesive and let that dry over night) I'll print it tonight and see what I can do about testing it tomorrow.

I'm waiting for the leather I want to go on sale, so I should have the armour pieces done in a few weeks.

Also, what staff should I do?? I was thinking of the staff she starts with, but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as it's not too complex...any suggestions would be great!
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #194
Bhutas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Also, what staff should I do?? I was thinking of the staff she starts with, but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as it's not too complex...any suggestions would be great!
Either the one she starts out with, or perhaps the one you can get from the Keeper to give to her after... stuff happens?

~*2011 Convention Season*~
Otafest, CCEE, Animethon (tentative), Pure Speculation
Bhutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #195
Palaven
I like big boats.

I'm going to try my best on getting something done for Merrill tomorrow. I'm going to try working on her leather boot... things or quite possible her wrist things. But ME2 DLC is coming out tomorrow so no promises, haha.

Have you guys seen that fantabulous Zevran cosplayer? She just put up a preview of a (possibly) in the works Fenris and she looks so cool.

@ Xavietta ] - If you want simple, definately go for her default weapon. It's quite literally a piece of wood with no major details aside from an odd metal thingie at the bottom. I personally can't decide between that or the Keeper's staff.

@ Quie ] - Damn that looks awesome! I feel your pain... I'm not looking forward to hand sewing all my leather thingies. I think it looks awesome personally. I didn't notice the uneven stitching until I started actively looking for it, haha.

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote