Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #16
quiescent
quiess

BAH. We'll just continue to commandeer this thread until then! Bwaha... Sorry Klovis );

The utility knife didn't take long for the sword, but I imagine when I whip it out for the shield it'll be a bit more.. blargh. The foam is pretty easy to cut through, and the major issues I had were mostly with getting the appropriate shape or cutting little nooks and crannies -- asides from that, cutting away the excess foam was simple. If you decided to go that route, I'd suggest picking up several $1 knives. I noticed that my boxcutter is considerably dull and I'll most likely have to replace it for when I start carving the shield. I mean, you can definitely carve with a 'less than sharp' knife, but its not nearly as satisfying.

And thanks! I'm pretty happy with how its turning out. Its ridiculously light and so far seems to be pretty sturdy. I did have to adjust the hilt, unfortunately, but I couldn't imagine having a perfect copy of Aveline's sword... that hilt is insane.

YES. DA2!!! Hehehe -cackle-

work in progress --
  • Aveline Vallen (Lothering), Dragon Age II -- %95
    Lionheart (Kelsey Leigh), Marvel Universe -- 0%
    Barry, Gender Bend, Resident Evil - 0%
planned/hopeful con attendance--
  • CCEE, 2013
quiescent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #17
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiescent View Post
BAH. We'll just continue to commandeer this thread until then! Bwaha... Sorry Klovis );

The utility knife didn't take long for the sword, but I imagine when I whip it out for the shield it'll be a bit more.. blargh. The foam is pretty easy to cut through, and the major issues I had were mostly with getting the appropriate shape or cutting little nooks and crannies -- asides from that, cutting away the excess foam was simple. If you decided to go that route, I'd suggest picking up several $1 knives. I noticed that my boxcutter is considerably dull and I'll most likely have to replace it for when I start carving the shield. I mean, you can definitely carve with a 'less than sharp' knife, but its not nearly as satisfying.

And thanks! I'm pretty happy with how its turning out. Its ridiculously light and so far seems to be pretty sturdy. I did have to adjust the hilt, unfortunately, but I couldn't imagine having a perfect copy of Aveline's sword... that hilt is insane.

YES. DA2!!! Hehehe -cackle-
Honestly if you do a lot of battle poses your hand will be covering up a large part of the hilt, so I don't think it will be that noticeable that you took some artistic liberty.

I'll have to start cutting away at my armor, then. I figured my hotknife would be better for burning in smoother/deeper nooks and crannies. I just wish I had a machete to shave the excess off x.x
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
Stravalon
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlovisJTBD View Post
anyone else looking to take on Hawke? I know Holly Conrad over at Crabcat is doing lady hawke but all around hawke should be an easy cosplay.
Well now I feel like shit for even attempting the same costume as her. Seriously. Her and PikminLink are going to end up giving me such a complex.
Stravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
quiescent
quiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwsg x View Post
Honestly if you do a lot of battle poses your hand will be covering up a large part of the hilt, so I don't think it will be that noticeable that you took some artistic liberty.

I'll have to start cutting away at my armor, then. I figured my hotknife would be better for burning in smoother/deeper nooks and crannies. I just wish I had a machete to shave the excess off x.x
True. And a machete would have been a blessing lol

And Stravalon, your Morrigan costume is amazing I'd love to see your Hawke!

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Stravalon
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiescent View Post
True. And a machete would have been a blessing lol

And Stravalon, your Morrigan costume is amazing I'd love to see your Hawke!
Daww thank you.

Honestly, I am not too confident about it, it really is a rush job at this point, though I hope to improve it for photos (such as getting actual chainmail at some point instead of the Monty Python sweater method). Making a costume during midterms is just an all around terrible idea and I don't recommend it to anybody.
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
hmwsg x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravalon View Post
Daww thank you.

Honestly, I am not too confident about it, it really is a rush job at this point, though I hope to improve it for photos (such as getting actual chainmail at some point instead of the Monty Python sweater method). Making a costume during midterms is just an all around terrible idea and I don't recommend it to anybody.

Stravalon >=( Stop being so negative! STOOOP!! Your Morrigan was amazing, your Hawke test photo makes you look really similar to the default Lady Hawke. I believe in yooou!

I know Crabcat is awesome but that doesn't mean you cannot compete with it. You might have a better fabric choice, a more innovative armor technique, or you might just sell the look and attitude of FemHawke better--who knows! Don't sell yourself short. Crabcat is also making an Aria which no doubt will be amazing, but I still really like my Aria and I'm tweaking and fixing it up for when I wear it again.

There are already 2 really great Flemeth, too. But I just see it as a chance to inspect what techniques they used so I can learn what to use or incorporate into my own techniques.

So cheer up, we love your work!
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
quiescent
quiess

Quote:
Stravalon >=( Stop being so negative! STOOOP!! Your Morrigan was amazing, your Hawke test photo makes you look really similar to the default Lady Hawke. I believe in yooou!

I know Crabcat is awesome but that doesn't mean you cannot compete with it. You might have a better fabric choice, a more innovative armor technique, or you might just sell the look and attitude of FemHawke better--who knows! Don't sell yourself short. Crabcat is also making an Aria which no doubt will be amazing, but I still really like my Aria and I'm tweaking and fixing it up for when I wear it again.

There are already 2 really great Flemeth, too. But I just see it as a chance to inspect what techniques they used so I can learn what to use or incorporate into my own techniques.

So cheer up, we love your work!
This.
And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks you bear a striking resemblance to Default Lady Hawke xD!
I for one, am super excited to see your LH

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
Stravalon
Lon

THIS SELF ESTEEM OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER. THE EAST IS BURNING RED.

Seriously though, all G Gundam references aside, I want to thank you both for your just lovely words of encouragement. Sometimes it is really nice to take a step back and remember that this hobby is all about having fun and trying new things, not trying to be the best or the most attractive. I mean if you do your own personal best, that IS being the best, right? Anyway, I just really thought it was sweet what everybody was saying, and I wanted to thank everybody and wish them luck on their future projects. We WRPG cosplayers have to stick together, you know?

So guys and gals, whatever costume you may be doing next, make sure you kick ass and really try your best at doing justice to a character that you love!

I feel all warm and fuzzy now.
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
hmwsg x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravalon View Post
THIS SELF ESTEEM OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER. THE EAST IS BURNING RED.

Seriously though, all G Gundam references aside, I want to thank you both for your just lovely words of encouragement. Sometimes it is really nice to take a step back and remember that this hobby is all about having fun and trying new things, not trying to be the best or the most attractive. I mean if you do your own personal best, that IS being the best, right? Anyway, I just really thought it was sweet what everybody was saying, and I wanted to thank everybody and wish them luck on their future projects. We WRPG cosplayers have to stick together, you know?

So guys and gals, whatever costume you may be doing next, make sure you kick ass and really try your best at doing justice to a character that you love!

I feel all warm and fuzzy now.
Exactly, personal best is far more fun and less stressful than striving to be "the best in all of history forever."

Fuzzy feelings all around
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #25
quiescent
quiess

!

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013

Last edited by quiescent : 03-03-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
Palaven
I like big boats.

@ Stravalon] Oh gosh, so I'm not the only one who gets super intimidated by HC! Hahah... You should stalk this thread, I am stoked to see your fem!Hawke since your Morrigan looks so fabulous.

Damn your icon for making me read your posts in Eames' voice.

@ quiescent] I was thinking the exact same thing! I really hope some mod will make a proper subforum for it.

Well I've tried expanding foam before, and I LOVE it, but Fenris has a really thin sword, or at least it looks that way. I'm not starting this costume until this game comes out. Damn Bioware and their everchanging character designs! I also need it to be able to be disassembled/reassembled for transport and somehow I don't think I can do that with expanding foam. If I can, then heck, I will definitely. Your sword looks really great so far! I can't wait to see it sanded etc!

@ hmwsg x] W-wrex armor? Damn, I need to start following the ME thread again. That sounds so intense. 1 week is too long!!

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]

Last edited by Palaven : 03-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #27
hmwsg x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaven View Post

@ hmwsg x] W-wrex armor? Damn, I need to start following the ME thread again. That sounds so intense. 1 week is too long!!
It's...intimidating to say the least. Right now my biggest worry is that I won't be able to fit it in the car, and he might not be able to go through doors. We want his legs to be accurate so we have digitigrade stilts but it raises him up a foot so we're looking at 8ft high krogan...we might not be able to do stilts if the doors are too short. A bummer, but I would be too upset if he kept bashing his helmet against door frames xD

I keep derailing this thread D:
So, on topic...I'll be doing a ghetto Hawke costume for the midnight release. Super low effort, just going to do the blood streak and the markings on her arms and wield my inflatable DA2 swordstaff
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #28
Palaven
I like big boats.

Quote:
It's...intimidating to say the least. Right now my biggest worry is that I won't be able to fit it in the car, and he might not be able to go through doors. We want his legs to be accurate so we have digitigrade stilts but it raises him up a foot so we're looking at 8ft high krogan...we might not be able to do stilts if the doors are too short. A bummer, but I would be too upset if he kept bashing his helmet against door frames xD

I keep derailing this thread D:
So, on topic...I'll be doing a ghetto Hawke costume for the midnight release. Super low effort, just going to do the blood streak and the markings on her arms and wield my inflatable DA2 swordstaff
Well damn. That sounds crazy, but I'm sure it would be totally worth it.

I'm sorry! I kind of blank about the derailing thing. Inflatable swordstaff? That's hilarious, haha. I was thinking about doing the bloodstreak, but your idea is so much better!

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #29
hmwsg x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaven View Post
Well damn. That sounds crazy, but I'm sure it would be totally worth it.

I'm sorry! I kind of blank about the derailing thing. Inflatable swordstaff? That's hilarious, haha. I was thinking about doing the bloodstreak, but your idea is so much better!
It's alright! I provoked the derail xD
It was a promo item at PAX I got one from my manager. They're kind of silly looking but it just sits around my room so I figured it would be a nice ghetto touch.
I was thinking about ghetto Fenris since I have a white wig and white body paint, but my elf ears were old and destroyed so I threw them out recently
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
quiescent
quiess

That sounds epic =D I can't wait to see pictures!

We don't get a midnight release here )=
Not at the store I preordered at anyways, which is in the Mall of my city.

On another note, my friend who was considering doing Fenris is for sure going to cosplay as him. We were looking at wigs tonight, and she's a bit torn, so it'd be awesome if you guys could give some feedback on what you think would be a suitable wig.

Wig One
Wig Two
Wig Three
Wig Four

We're leaning towards Wig One.

We're also open to suggestions for what sort of fabric his outfit might be made of. She's leaning more towards using suede.

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013

Last edited by quiescent : 03-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.