Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #316
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

I tried making the arm armor for Flemeth out of craft foam and was seriously disappointed with the results. Its hard trying to give it that straight metal edged look without it completely rounding off to take the shape of my arm. I'm going to try ONE more time before I give in and just Wonderflex it all up. I don't want to due to costs (and I'm now making three costumes by October, ugh), but I know it'll look great if I do it.

Other than that, my wigs for Flemeth shall be arriving tomorrow, so I'm running out to buy some foam core. Hubby is snagging wire from work for me (yay for free crap to cut down costs!). Once I start the horns, I can finish the crown. The top points (at either end) aren't added yet. I wanted to wait until I got the foam so it all fits together.

Since I have time, and two of my costumes will require a bodice, which I have the pattern for, I'm going to wait a bit on making the bodice, choosing to work out for a few months instead. The last thing I want is to make the bodice now, work out, and then have it ill fitting by the time of the con.

- Oh! Anyone have recommendations on a wig for Varric? I'm waiting for Arda Wigs to get a new wig in later in the season, which seems perfect, which can be seen here: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...823 503_n.jpg

But, if that doesn't end up happening, I'd love a backup recommendation. His hair is so specific and I'd like to NOT have to make my own lace front.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #317
youjik33

Your bodice issues are exactly why I'm going to do the pants last. They're the only thing in my costume that should be particularly form-fitting and I don't want to make pants and then lose several inches off my waist/hips and have them falling off. (That probably won't happen, but I DID just start a job that keeps me on my feet all day so I'm bound to lose at least a few pounds... right? XD)

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #318
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

>_< Ugh! Meredith's gorget is driving me nuts. I wish they made easily available foam in longer 3mm thickness. I think the the fact that I am working with thin sheets, is why it's difficult for me to work with it right now. I'm probably going to going to somehow connect the thicker sheets then cover them with the longer 1mm foam so you cannot see the connecting lines?? Lol, think I solved this problem, until the next one springs up.

Here's my first crown, which is pretty much just for seeing what not to do on the final crown.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2902114/

Last edited by Lady Muramasa : 04-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #319
youjik33

It is a bit bright, but for a mockup that looks pretty amazing!

I poked around earlier looking for faux leather that doesn't have cloth backing and failed to find it. Then I was in a chat room and mentioned my cosplay and some random person suggested modifying a leather welding apron. Considering they can be found online for $25 or so I might actually attempt this o.O The main reason I didn't want to use real leather was cost, but a single long welding apron might even be long enough on me that I could use the part I cut off the bottom for the back piece.

I'm just not entirely sure where to find one around here and I'd like to see them in person if possible first...

Unread 04-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #320
XMishapenHeartX
Iris

Hi all! Cool to see love for this amazing game!

Well next year acen we are doing a big group of DAII and I get to be lady Hawke! Gah but Im having so much trouble choosing a class! Its a toss up between the mage and rouge! both are so amazing! help me decide! Luv luv
XMishapenHeartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #321
youjik33

Next year? I might be able to go to ACen next year, and if I did I could bust out Aveline. Assuming I get it done = )

(can't go this year -- I JUST got a job, kinda too late notice, heh.)

Unread 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #322
Palaven
I like big boats.

Man, it's been forever since I posted here last! Real life has gotten super hectic, joy of joys. Merrill hasn't really been bothered with, but I have just started on her leg...leather thingies and I've already managed to break 2 needles handsewing! Pics shall be up once more progress is made.

@ Xavietta] - Wow! That looks so impressive! I can't wait to see them finished!

@ Jujubee] - Well I think that wig is -perfect- for Varric. But back up wigs? I'm currently hunting for a good -thick- Merrill wig. If I happen to see a suitable one for Varric, I'll let you know.

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #323
quiescent
quiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjik33 View Post
It is a bit bright, but for a mockup that looks pretty amazing!

I poked around earlier looking for faux leather that doesn't have cloth backing and failed to find it. Then I was in a chat room and mentioned my cosplay and some random person suggested modifying a leather welding apron. Considering they can be found online for $25 or so I might actually attempt this o.O The main reason I didn't want to use real leather was cost, but a single long welding apron might even be long enough on me that I could use the part I cut off the bottom for the back piece.

I'm just not entirely sure where to find one around here and I'd like to see them in person if possible first...
This is the method I'm using, but be warned -- they generally come as sueded leather. I'd also considering ordering two -- one for the back, one for the front.
I mean, you can definitely use shoe polish to give it a dirtied and smooth look.

work in progress --
  • Aveline Vallen (Lothering), Dragon Age II -- %95
    Lionheart (Kelsey Leigh), Marvel Universe -- 0%
    Barry, Gender Bend, Resident Evil - 0%
planned/hopeful con attendance--
  • CCEE, 2013
quiescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #324
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

For the Pure Spec people:
Pure Speculation is pleased to welcome Holly Conrad and Jessica Merizan of Crabcat Industries as our Costuming Guests of Honour for Pure Spec 2011! Crabcat has gotten a LOT of press (and pictures) at this past year's gaming conventions for their awesome Mass Effect costumes!

I am assuming F!Hawke costume will be there, so make sure to finish your DA2 costumes...:3
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #325
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Lady Muramasa: The crown looks good so far! I can't wait to see it done in clay

Thanks Palaven! I have this feeling I might re-do the bracers altogether...I can't remove enough of the colour to change it to the colour I want -_-

Good news, I got the gloves for Mage Hawke so with some heavy alterations (and some luck with acquiring the right hardware) those should be done soon. I also got my new ears and they are CUTE. I tried them on, without gluing them, and they are absolutely perfect ^^ Now that the renaissance festival is over and I have my weekends back I should be able to get a lot of work done on these costumes
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #326
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I HAVE REAL PROGRESS NOW. Kinda...I started drafting the leather pieces with posterboard. I did the upper shoulder piece and magically got it just right on the first try.

It looks a tiny bit big up top, but then I don't know how much of a difference the chain mail will make when worn underneath.

I'm happy to actually be doing something now xD

I have almost everything figured out...except the boots. I'll need to study the pictures some more and hopefully I can get a clearer idea.

EDIT: Also, I just cut out some spare vinyl and figured out the sizing for the belt I think, but I came across a problem. It sticks out funny as if it's not fitted to me properly, you know? So should I cut the belt on a bit of a curve or something to prevent that or what?

Last edited by Rexluna : 04-19-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Rexluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #327
youjik33

Bought a belt today. Um... progress! XD

EDIT: Also ordered some pyramid studs online and got a Nerf sword which is going to be my prop sword unless I have time to make one from scratch (not likely). Man though, these Nerf swords are soooo awesome. I kind of wanted one anyway so mostly I was just giving myself an excuse, heh.

Last edited by youjik33 : 04-19-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Unread 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #328
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

My wigs came for Flemeth. They're gorgeous and I get giddy every time I look at them. Oh, and that wig for Varric will be on the line in a few weeks. It's actually going to first be sold at Sakura Con, so it's a go!

On that note, I have two out of four of the foam bases for the horns finished. I have no idea how I'm going to attach these things because they're damned huge and I have a tiny head. But, I'm widdling away at them and seeing how it goes. There's styrofoam EVERYWHERE in my apt! D:

Last edited by jujubee33 : 04-20-2011 at 07:48 AM.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #329
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I ordered the leather and the dye. I didn't order the cream for it yet, since I don't know when I'll actually start the dying process. So if I can find some around here, or if it ever goes on sale, I might as well wait.
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #330
youjik33

I have two days off in a row next week so I'm making a promise to myself to do some hardcore cosplay work then. I should be able to take over my parents' dining room table for it.

I also bought a DA2 t-shirt at JC Penny at the mall yesterday XD not part of the cosplay plan -- just a random coincidence that it was on sale, haha.