Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #496
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjik33 View Post
Probably going to give up. I suck at sewing and nothing I ever make will be anything but sorta mediocre.
Just be patient! Take a deep breath, go on a short break and then return to your costume with a fresh set of eyes and some more energy You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Muramasa View Post
Is TEH WIN!! Lol! Hey, DATZ TEH Mr. BOBZ Alistair lol. Okay I'm done with my NETZ chatting/typing.
Awe, it would be nice if all of us Dragon Age cosplayers could meet up, oh the joys of living on such HUGE land! :/

Well glad everybody is making progress!! Thanks TheFontBandit! =D
I figured out parts of it, if it doesnt work...............I'M GOING WITH CLAAAAAAAAAAY! >=(
lol.
IT is Mrbob! xD He got soo much love and attention from fangirls bwahahaha. We were just lucky to like about 5 hours away from each other so it wasn't too bad to find Acen as the halfway point. But yeah, I wish transportation was cheaper/faster so we could do meetups :<

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee33 View Post
@hmwsg x: That video in general is awesome. But you three look amazing. And, finally, an Alistair!

That totally pushed me to finish my Flemeth wig. Got the wefting done and now trying to get the hair horns together. This is... fun. Which is really the understatement of the year.
Thanks! Yeah, Mrbob is like one of the 3 Alistairs out there, and I think he is the best one. He was a good sport and humored me taking silly photos with him xD

Good luck on the wig!

Last edited by hmwsg x : 05-26-2011 at 04:07 PM.
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #497
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Probably going to give up. I suck at sewing and nothing I ever make will be anything but sorta mediocre.
Awww... *hug* I know how that feels. But don't give up! I agree that taking a break might help. Sewing takes a lot of trial and error (sometimes, frustratingly, a lot of error). But every mistake or every time something just doesn't come out quite right, the learning experience makes the next project that much better. (Silver linings! Might not help now, though.) Just know we all believe in you and are rooting you on!
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #498
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I was discouraged and frustrated, and just getting a good night's sleep helped me to press on! Sometimes I think my brain even worked out a few problems while I was unconscious, haha! And my seam ripper is my best friend, seriously. I'm by no means a professional and I have to redo things all the time.

*hug* Take heart! Everything you attempt helps you learn and makes you better. Also, I'm sure if you want a tip on something specfic, someone here will be happy to chime in.

2012 Costumes:

Rogue Hawke :: Dragon Age 2::
Sgt Tamora Jean Calhoun :: Wreck-it Ralph ::
Rosie Cotton :: LotR ::
ros1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #499
youjik33

Thanks guys. I'm really, really burned out right now >.< I had to just get everything in the basement so I wouldn't have to look at it any more. I don't have a day off work until next week Friday. Which is when I'm going away for a weekend.

Gah, getting a lot of hours at work is great for my bank account but it's just starting to really get to me.

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #500
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm really, really burned out right now >.< I had to just get everything in the basement so I wouldn't have to look at it any more. I don't have a day off work until next week Friday. Which is when I'm going away for a weekend.

Gah, getting a lot of hours at work is great for my bank account but it's just starting to really get to me.
You can still make a good looking costume without sewing. Seen quite a few people make costumes with glue and seam tape or whatever its called. dont get discouraged.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #501
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Youjik, that sounds stressful. Hopefully things settle down a bit for you soon.

Also, Lady Murasama makes a good point... I still avoid sewing any time I can! Heck, with all three of my costumes I'm making this summer, the only sewing I'm really doing is hemming some sleeves and shortening a skirt. I'm such a cheat... I will scour Ebay and Etsy for hours to find something I can use instead of just making it. :P Sometimes that's impossible, though.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #502
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
I know how you feel. I work retail part time, plus run my Etsy shop and do commissions. I end up working on my cosplays at work just to fit it in my schedule lol and like everyone keeps saying, try not to get discouraged and it's totally cool to use non-sewing methods of construction ^^ Frankly, I think one of the reasons I like leatherwork so much is the lack of sewing involved lol
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #503
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

For those trying to source Anders cosplay boots:

http://www.costumes4less.com/Men's-Renaissance-Boots_HA133_Prod.aspx?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_me dium=cpc&utm_terms=ha133

I got these in yesterday and I am totally stoked! They only come in men's sizes so unfortunately any female crossplayers might be out of luck, but for affordable appropriately "stompy" boots, these totally rock! I'm planning on sewing brass D-rings on both sides (the buttons only run up the outer side) and joining them across the front with black faux leather strips. The boots will still close with the black laces, just looping through the outer D-rings where the buttons used to be. And the best part is, upon checking one of hmwsg x's screencaps (http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...t=anders29.jpg) the number of buttons and D-rings are an exact match!

2012 Costumes:

Unread 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #504
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Those are an awesome find!! I just wasted a good chunk of time browsing their shoes... =P

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 05-27-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Unread 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #505
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFontBandit View Post
Those are an awesome find!! I just wasted a good chunk of time browsing their shoes... =P
I swear that was not my intent... <_<

2012 Costumes:

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #506
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

It's all good! I was able to scope out some potential shoes for another costume. I'm hoping to finish one of my other Dragon*Con costumes over the holiday so I can focus more on Isabela. I think I have everything figured out except the daggers now!
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #507
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

I'm going to try to finish Anders' green jacket over the weekend as well, if that collar doesn't send me into a rage-coma. >.<

Happy update is happy tho! I've gotten most of the fabric for my Finery outfit!

http://ros1908.deviantart.com/#/d3hdqrx

2012 Costumes:

Unread 05-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #508
youjik33

Oh wow, those boots are awesome. *bookmarks!*

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #509
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Ooooh... the finery fabric looks perfect! Good luck on the jacket!
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #510
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ros1908 View Post
For those trying to source Anders cosplay boots:

http://www.costumes4less.com/Men's-Renaissance-Boots_HA133_Prod.aspx?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_me dium=cpc&utm_terms=ha133
Those are delicious ^^ and for only $58 I think even my husband would go for those. Also, yay fabric! That's always one of the most fun things about cosplay I think.

I envy people who work with nice fabric. Dupioni silk? Yeah, we don't get along too well lol

I put a bid on these wood rings for my Merrill costume, but there's 100 of them and I only need about 24. They're about 3/4" inner diameter and 1 1/4" outer diameter. If anyone wants or needs any, let me know and we can work something out, I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 76 haha

I also have an issue I need help with. I may be commissioning Bethany's belt and pouches for a certain someone and I'm a bit confused about what the pouch on the back is supposed to be. (?) I can still make it, I just think it'll make more sense if I know what it is lol

Last edited by Xavietta : 05-28-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote