Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #511
marzlapin
almond flavored

@Xavietta: pretty sure that's supposed to be a canteen or a wineskin, something for holding liquids anyhow. So maybe just make the form and the stopper out of foam/wood/whatever and wrap it in leather.

@hmwsg x: do you have any good pictures of that Varric costume? It'll be awhile before I really start on mine but I always like to see how other people solved construction problems and stuff.

Last edited by marzlapin : 05-29-2011 at 06:40 AM.
marzlapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #512
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Hey all! I am back from vacation and I had a blast! It was my fiance's first time at Disney so he had a great time as well

Now I need to get a job and I can start my cosplays! I think I might just altogether NOT try to do Merrill's chainmail and see if it looks good with just a bodysuit. I have good sewing skills, but I don't think I have enough skill to make a chainmail bodysuit out of anything XD Will you guys think less of me? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
I put a bid on these wood rings for my Merrill costume, but there's 100 of them and I only need about 24. They're about 3/4" inner diameter and 1 1/4" outer diameter. If anyone wants or needs any, let me know and we can work something out, I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 76 haha
I would be interested in some extra rings if you dont need them or havent sold them already!
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #513
burninghail

I asked this in Props, but thought I'd ask here, too. Those mantles mages wear (like Merril and Anders), are they fur or feathered? I'd like to go to a ren faire as a version of my Origins Dalish character, but... gah.
burninghail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #514
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Anders' mantle is almost certainly feathered... Varric makes a comment about "feathered pauldrons" during one of the in-game conversations. I'm not sure about Merrill's, but they look feathery to me too.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #515
burninghail

Thanks! I thought as much, but the thought popped in my head and I would have felt stupid if I bought/made a feathered one and turned out to be wrong... On a different note, I don't suppose any Dragon Age cosplayers are going to Bristol...?
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #516
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghail View Post
Thanks! I thought as much, but the thought popped in my head and I would have felt stupid if I bought/made a feathered one and turned out to be wrong... On a different note, I don't suppose any Dragon Age cosplayers are going to Bristol...?
We are actually planning a group for Bristol :3 Not sure what dates yet, hoping to have an Isabela and Seb by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzlapin View Post
@hmwsg x: do you have any good pictures of that Varric costume? It'll be awhile before I really start on mine but I always like to see how other people solved construction problems and stuff.
I have a few, they might be a bit discolored due to fluorescent lights at the con. I know a few things off the top of my head about how they went about making the tunic, and bolt harness (they painted the designs on instead of embroidered). Not...really sure about the Bianca construction xD;;;
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #517
Liquidfire3
.....see you later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I think I might just altogether NOT try to do Merrill's chainmail and see if it looks good with just a bodysuit. I have good sewing skills, but I don't think I have enough skill to make a chainmail bodysuit out of anything XD Will you guys think less of me? lol
Hey, I have some chainmail costume fabric that might work! It's this awesome thick knit fabric my mom found for me at Joanns like 5 years ago in their Halloween section.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/DSCN1181.jpg

It's mostly black with silver tinsel thread running through it that really catch the light. Lemme know if you are interested!

Cosplays in Progress
*True Form Midna: 45%
*Princess Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy): 40%
*Phazon Zero Suit Samus: 10%
Liquidfire3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #518
burninghail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwsg x View Post
We are actually planning a group for Bristol :3 Not sure what dates yet, hoping to have an Isabela and Seb by then.
You wouldn't happen to be going with the "mrbob" guy who has an awesome Alistair outfit, would you? Because I'd have to see all of you, together, and die happy.
...any feel for what weekend you're going?
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #519
hmwsg x

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghail View Post
You wouldn't happen to be going with the "mrbob" guy who has an awesome Alistair outfit, would you? Because I'd have to see all of you, together, and die happy.
...any feel for what weekend you're going?
=] Yes. They were thinking August, but that is such a busy month for me...I would rather July or Labor Day weekend xD; Its a ways off, so everyone needs their schedules
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #520
Ika
tamallama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3 View Post
Hey, I have some chainmail costume fabric that might work! It's this awesome thick knit fabric my mom found for me at Joanns like 5 years ago in their Halloween section.

It's mostly black with silver tinsel thread running through it that really catch the light. Lemme know if you are interested!
how much do you have? I'd also be interested in buying a little for my lady hawke!

COSPLAY ROSTER 2011
FANEXPO - Morrigan - DA:O // Nurse - Silent Hill (movie version) // Marceline the Vampire Queen - Adventure Time!
NYAF: TBA
AWA: TBA
YOUMACON - Lady Hawke - DA2 // TBA

Ika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #521
marzlapin
almond flavored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwsg x View Post

I have a few, they might be a bit discolored due to fluorescent lights at the con. I know a few things off the top of my head about how they went about making the tunic, and bolt harness (they painted the designs on instead of embroidered). Not...really sure about the Bianca construction xD;;;
Oh I don't mind wonky lighting if you don't mind posting them.

Bristol meaning the ren fair (assuming this since your group was at Acen)? Is that fun? I've been in Chicago for years and never gone up there.
marzlapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #522
hmwsg x

Quote:
Oh I don't mind wonky lighting if you don't mind posting them.

Bristol meaning the ren fair (assuming this since your group was at Acen)? Is that fun? I've been in Chicago for years and never gone up there.
Yep the Ren faire! It is pretty entertaining, I went once a few years ago. Just...prepare to get a lot of attention from the actors if you go in costume. They will want to drag you into events and start conversing with you xD
I'll get the photos posted sometime tonight :3
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #523
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3 View Post

Oh man, that would make my life so much easier! How much of that do you have left?

Also, in regards to whether Merrill's "pauldrons" are feathers or fur...it definitely looks like fur to me: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...ge_ii__15_.jpg

Last edited by lissiekun : 05-30-2011 at 04:10 PM.
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #524
Ika
tamallama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFontBandit View Post
Ika, they're not the best photos ever, but hopefully they'll give you someplace to start.
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...5-20173715.jpg
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...5-20173404.jpg
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...5-20173342.jpg
A quick note... in this playthrough, I haven't gotten the Boots of the Champion yet, so these are just some generic "Superior Boots".

And of course there's this image, which shows some of the top detail a bit more clearly but not much else: http://www.gamebanshee.com/images/co...htlandWTMK.jpg
Same with this one: http://greywardens.com/wp-content/up...and-Carver.jpg

Rexluna, I can also try to put together a file for the mage Hawke arm tattoos this weekend, if I can get a good enough visual reference from my game.
thanks so much!

COSPLAY ROSTER 2011
FANEXPO - Morrigan - DA:O // Nurse - Silent Hill (movie version) // Marceline the Vampire Queen - Adventure Time!
NYAF: TBA
AWA: TBA
YOUMACON - Lady Hawke - DA2 // TBA

Ika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #525
burninghail

Quote:
Hells yeah! I love the Bristol Ren Fair. My friends and I have been going for the past five years. I was pretty excited when I "discovered" Dragon Age for myself, as I love going to the fair in outfits and Dragon Age is not only a fantastic series, but the costuming is awesome and perfect for the fair.

...pardon my nerdiness...