Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #586
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaven View Post
So my Merrill has officially hit a obstacle. Iím absolutely stressing. The pop tab chainmail thing isnít really working out, but itís either deal with the terrible looking and time-consuming tab-chain, or rip out the entire arm and part of the leg I did, or just not have that layer entirely.

I donít know really know what to do. Maybe I'm just being self-concious, but I think it's bad.)
Oh noo ;-;
If you're running out of time and have little to no money maybe you could try the sweater chainmail technique? I know it isn't ideal, but it is something!
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #587
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

I really wanted to continue in my lyrium blade friday but i ended up getting a kidney stone that ruptured the kidney while trying to pass, the angry little thing! I have been stuck resting and am really bummed because i have exactly a month to finish cullen and meredith. :/ i hope i can do it.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #588
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Oh my gosh, that's awful! I hope you start feeling better soon!
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #589
Palaven
I like big boats.

@ hmwsg x ] - Damn, I really want to do that, haha. I've just decided to forgo the chainmail for this con since it's not working for me. Suprise surprise! What do you mean metal doesn't bend? haha I'm just going to custom print some fabric for sanity's sake.

@ lady ] - Ouch! Well I hope it heals quick!

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #590
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Muramasa View Post
i ended up getting a kidney stone that ruptured the kidney while trying to pass, the angry little thing!
ahhh!!!! That sounds incredibly painful. I hope you're feeling better!! I'm sending positive healing and cosplay energies your way!

So it seems I'm doomed to hit one road block after another with this Merrill costume of mine -_- The wood rings I ordered are totally the wrong size; I emailed the seller before I bought them to make sure and she even told me the wrong size...ugh..and wouldn't you know it, she doesn't accept returns! So I am currently looking for an alternative. I think I've found one, so hopefully it works this time
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #591
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
So it seems I'm doomed to hit one road block after another with this Merrill costume of mine -_- The wood rings I ordered are totally the wrong size; I emailed the seller before I bought them to make sure and she even told me the wrong size...ugh..and wouldn't you know it, she doesn't accept returns! So I am currently looking for an alternative. I think I've found one, so hopefully it works this time
I find it completely ridiculous that she would still not accept returns when she herself told you the wrong size! Ugh, indeed. Good luck! :S

2012 Costumes:

Rogue Hawke :: Dragon Age 2::
Sgt Tamora Jean Calhoun :: Wreck-it Ralph ::
Rosie Cotton :: LotR ::
ros1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #592
marzlapin
almond flavored

The perils of Ebay I guess. That sucks that she doesn't even accept returns when she's made a mistake. :\
marzlapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #593
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

That's horrible! Did you pay via Paypal? You can file a claim for "item significantly not as described", especially if you have the email/communication where she told you the wrong size. Paypal may file in your favor.
Unread 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #594
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFontBandit View Post
That's horrible! Did you pay via Paypal? You can file a claim for "item significantly not as described", especially if you have the email/communication where she told you the wrong size. Paypal may file in your favor.
I asked if there was anything that could be done and she said the rings are inconsistent sizes and some of them are a bit bigger and she would send me some of those for "free" meaning I'd pay only shipping. I still haven't replied lol

ros1908, marzlapin: yeah it's just part of her policy not to accept returns (?)

I've already found a replacement for the rings and I'm only out $12 so I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it. I just wish people knew how to measure lol

Anyway, enough negativity! ^^ I hope everyone's costumes are coming along alright. I miss the progress pictures! The convention I'm wearing Leliana to is coming up in about 2 weeks, so I should have some work done on her boots by this weekend. (I say 'should' meaning 'I really really need to but probably won't' lol)
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #595
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Well at least your rings didn't cost too much!

I'm feeling like I might be getting a job soon(HOPE!!!) So that means I can start Merrill and Isabela! My friend (who will be Izzy) is making her necklace out of real metal since her grandmother knows how to make jewelry. I'm pretty psyched to see THAT finished

We also live in Maine, so we have coasts AND forests for awesome photos! So excited X3
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #596
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I'm feeling like I might be getting a job soon(HOPE!!!) So that means I can start Merrill and Isabela! My friend (who will be Izzy) is making her necklace out of real metal since her grandmother knows how to make jewelry. I'm pretty psyched to see THAT finished
Oooh... I can't wait to see the metal jewelry! I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to pull off that collar! o_O I've done some jewelry work in the past, but nothing anywhere near that level of difficulty.

I'm also excited to see your Merrill, and some "Wounded Coast" photos.
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #597
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I need to get some progress done. I gave myself a week to recover from school and Fanime. And then my computer was being stupid so I had to deal with that for a couple of days. I think the first thing I'll do is draft out all my leather pieces.

Here's a stupid question (lol). When I'm making my belt, I'm assuming I'll have to curve it a bit or it's gonna lay funny. How do I know how much to curve it? And do you guys recommend a good material to test it with (I use muslin for testing fabric patterns)? I have some leftover vinyl from Morrigan but I'd hate to use it all xD
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #598
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexluna View Post
Here's a stupid question (lol). When I'm making my belt, I'm assuming I'll have to curve it a bit or it's gonna lay funny. How do I know how much to curve it? And do you guys recommend a good material to test it with (I use muslin for testing fabric patterns)? I have some leftover vinyl from Morrigan but I'd hate to use it all xD
I have a curved template I made for belts 3 inches or wider since, you're right it will need to curve a bit since, well, women are curvy lol Do you have a dressform? I suggest using paper to drape the curve shape onto the dressform. Start out with a straight piece, however wide you want the belt and a bit longer than what you might need. Cut slits about 3/4 of the way through and about 3 inches apart on the TOP side of the belt. When you drape it on the form you can overlap the slits, taping them in place. When you remove the template from the form you'll see its curved. Re-trace it onto new paper and clean up the lines a bit since they'll be jagged. I hope that makes sense! ^^

And as far as a practice material for leather (the thick vegi-tan leather that is), I suggest posterboard/cardstock, it'll have about the same flexibility as the leather.
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #599
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I do have a dressform, but it's bigger than my hips. I could wait until after my birthday (which is in a few weeks, so no worries xD) when I hopefully get one that's my size. And that totally makes sense, thank you!

I've been looking at Hawke's top, and I'm still trying to decide on fabric for the front and back. I'm kind of digging the microsuede we have at Joann...it's thick, but not too stiff and I probably won't bake as much in it. And it's not shiny
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #600
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

I don't think the dressform being a bit bigger should be a problem. As long as you get the curve to be consistent, then you can lengthen and shorten it to any size. I'm still confused on the fabric for Hawke. The middle panel of the top and the pants seem to be the same color, but the pants look like a woven material and the shirt doesn't...or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much lol I like the idea of microsuede though, it'll give your costume some nice texture ^^