Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #601
youjik33

Gah, okay, I took a break and then started up again. Sewing machine is still being bizarre though. I changed the thread tension and sewed one line perfectly, but then the next one got all mangled and broke the thread again. I gave up and fabric-glued my last strap and am going to hand-sew them on.

I have to do the armwrap things, though, and there's no way I can hand-sew Dark's entire Anders jacket, so I might have to hijack my grandma's machine sometime this week.

Oh, and today I randomly opened a drawer in the bathroom and found a dark maroon elastic headband. It looked pretty much perfect once I put it on XD

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)

Last edited by youjik33 : 06-13-2011 at 02:51 PM.
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #602
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you ave figured out how to solve the "floating daggers" issue. I plan to make Isabela's daggers but I have no idea how she will be able to carry them without having to use her hands.
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #603
youjik33

I was thinking about attaching my sword to the back of my shirt with clear plastic or possibly something like fishing line. At least in Aveline's concept art she has her sword in her belt, though, so I could do that if I have to... Isabela doesn't ever seem to have hers anywhere else but in hand or floating.

Unread 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #604
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

The weapons in Thedas are obviously held on by magic then XD
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #605
youjik33

This is why mage persecution needs to stop! People need to be thankful for all the great things mages do for them, like attaching their weapons to their backs XD

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #606
youjik33

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29.../bracelets.jpg

Found these at Forever 21 for $4.80 apiece. They're the perfect size and color, and it's really hard to see the design on Aveline's actual bracelets anyway, so they pretty much work perfectly = D

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #607
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

@youjik: Those bracelets are a great find! Good luck with the alternate sewing machine!

@lissiekun: I have no idea how I'm going to pull off the floating daggers. >_< I remember someone mentioning magnets, which might be a possibility? Depending on what the daggers are made of and how heavy they are, that is. Mine will be pretty light (mostly foancore and styrofoam). I've ordered from www.kjmagnetics.com before... so I might try some magnets from there and see how it goes.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #608
burninghail

Well, I have my leather, my rings, and my fabric. I just have to order the fur and dye the fabric and I can start. Eeek...
Does anyone have any recommendations on temporary tattoo paper, or will any brand printable temporary tattoo paper do?
burninghail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #609
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghail View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on temporary tattoo paper, or will any brand printable temporary tattoo paper do?
This is the stuff I used. It's sort of a long process since after the image is printed you need to apply the adhesive and let it dry overnight, but that's pretty much the hardest part.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #610
youjik33

Hey ros, what were you using for the rings on the Anders costume? I found some pretty good wooden rings online that I know I could paint, but the biggest ones seem to be the size of his small rings, and the bottom one on the front is definitely a bit bigger.

Unread 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #611
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjik33 View Post
Hey ros, what were you using for the rings on the Anders costume? I found some pretty good wooden rings online that I know I could paint, but the biggest ones seem to be the size of his small rings, and the bottom one on the front is definitely a bit bigger.
I used 3 different sizes since the ones hanging from the bottom of his long coat are even smaller than the two top "buckles." And yes I ended up having to paint all of them.

Smallest (about 2" outside diameter) - http://www.amazon.com/2-Cabone-Rings.../dp/B00281QCUG

Medium (2.5") - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Largest (3.25") - http://www.countryporch.com/darice/view.asp?item=17126

Hope that helps! And thanks again for the comment on my Hawke/Anders fanmix.

2012 Costumes:

Rogue Hawke :: Dragon Age 2::
Sgt Tamora Jean Calhoun :: Wreck-it Ralph ::
Rosie Cotton :: LotR ::
ros1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #612
youjik33

Gah! I totally forgot about the little ones hanging off the bottom! XD

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #613
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

I just bought fabric for Merrill's tunic and Isabela's "dress" today! And for the rings for my armor I bought some curtain rings that were on sale I got $36 worth of stuff for $9 due to gift cards and a huge sale going on at Joann Fabrics! Whoo!

I also have a Fenris for my little group now She probably wont be able to make him this summer but we are planning to have everything done by the next Anime Boston!
So now we have myself as Merrill, my fiance as Hawke, and my friends as Isabela and Fenris. AWESOME
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #614
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I just bought fabric for Merrill's tunic and Isabela's "dress" today! And for the rings for my armor I bought some curtain rings that were on sale I got $36 worth of stuff for $9 due to gift cards and a huge sale going on at Joann Fabrics! Whoo!

I also have a Fenris for my little group now She probably wont be able to make him this summer but we are planning to have everything done by the next Anime Boston!
So now we have myself as Merrill, my fiance as Hawke, and my friends as Isabela and Fenris. AWESOME
Argh, I'm so sorry I never sent pictures of the wood rings I have! I've been working non-stop getting ready for MetroCon this weekend. They were pretty poor quality anyway, so I'm glad you found something that will work ^^ and they were on sale!!
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #615
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Ugh... So, it seems that I took a break from this thread and concentrating on my costumes, albeit not by choice. Life hit me with a proverbial tsunami this ongoing month and a half and I've had to focus on it.

Great to see so many others getting involved in the DA2 cosplay!

@hmwsg x - I have a question. Your Flemeth wig: What are the hair horns constructed out of, if you know since you had it commissioned? Softer foam or the hard floral foam type? I finally got my horns going somewhere, and they're too boxy, so I have to redo them.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote