Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #616
HaylsLockhart
I'm in a cosplay block...

I'm starting up a Fenris costume this year. Anyone have good tips to make the armor plate on his chest? I'm considering craft foam armor, but does anyone else have a better method?
HaylsLockhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #617
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee33 View Post
Ugh... So, it seems that I took a break from this thread and concentrating on my costumes, albeit not by choice. Life hit me with a proverbial tsunami this ongoing month and a half and I've had to focus on it.

Great to see so many others getting involved in the DA2 cosplay!

@hmwsg x - I have a question. Your Flemeth wig: What are the hair horns constructed out of, if you know since you had it commissioned? Softer foam or the hard floral foam type? I finally got my horns going somewhere, and they're too boxy, so I have to redo them.
I don't think it is foam at all, actually! It feels like a sort of plastic, but I will ask Score and see what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaylsLockhart View Post
I'm starting up a Fenris costume this year. Anyone have good tips to make the armor plate on his chest? I'm considering craft foam armor, but does anyone else have a better method?
Foam is the easiest/cheapest in my opinion, but you could always do styrene, or fiberglass but the latter is pretty toxic D:

Last edited by hmwsg x : 06-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #618
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Argh, I'm so sorry I never sent pictures of the wood rings I have! I've been working non-stop getting ready for MetroCon this weekend. They were pretty poor quality anyway, so I'm glad you found something that will work ^^ and they were on sale!!
That's alright. The ones I found will work just fine! Sorry yours were poor quality and the WRONG size....that really sucks!
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #619
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

@lissiekun: Don't you love Joann's sales? I worked there for a couple of years and it was dangerous... that's why I still have stockpiles of completely random fabric. >_< Being there for all the sales and seeing all of the stock that came in was awesome.

@HayIsLockheart: I haven't made any armor yet, so I have no idea what would work best, but I just wanted to wish you luck and welcome to the thread!

I'm hoping to get some more work done on my "Carta's Left/Right Hand" daggers this weekend... Hopefully I can get the dowel rod pieces cut down so I can figure out the best way to get them attached to the base. I'm a bit nervous around power tools (afraid I'll just accidentally chop off the wrong part or cut in too far or something) so I might go old-school and take a hacksaw and jewelry files to it. It'll take longer but gives me more control. The hardest part is going to be putting the notch in them.

Here's where they stand so far: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...D/IMG_1586.jpg
I know right now it looks like a random collection of craft stuff, but I have a plan, I promise!

Random note... apparently, the foam I got for the base of my daggers is not foamcore. =P I thought it seemed a bit tough to cut for foamboard, but I figured I probably just had a dull knife blade! My fiance works with foamboard and gator board on a regular basis and confirmed that it is actually gator board... which is stronger and tougher, so woohoo! Yay for happy accidents! I didn't think we even had 1/4" gator at work, but apparently that's what I picked up when I grabbed the scraps to take home.

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 06-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #620
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

I got my tunic patterns cut out! Now I hope I dont ruin the real thing!
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #621
youjik33

Heh, I did the same thing with the jacket for Dark's Anders costume. I got a pattern to fake and now I have to start sewing bits of it together and it's making me nervous ^_^* (I have to say, I AM taking great relief in knowing that if I mess up the tops of the sleeves I can hide it under the pauldrons...)

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #622
quiescent
quiess

Well, Bhutas has helped me with the last few touches to my Lothering Aveline (As well as my OC Faun) and they are both 95% complete and as ready as they can be for the con this weekend !
Hoping to post some photos after the weekend is complete

work in progress --
  • Aveline Vallen (Lothering), Dragon Age II -- %95
    Lionheart (Kelsey Leigh), Marvel Universe -- 0%
    Barry, Gender Bend, Resident Evil - 0%
planned/hopeful con attendance--
  • CCEE, 2013
quiescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #623
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I got a $50 gift card from my bank today! I'm gonna go shopping for some Hawke stuff tomorrow!
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #624
ros1908
Patriot of all Geekdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjik33 View Post
Heh, I did the same thing with the jacket for Dark's Anders costume. I got a pattern to fake and now I have to start sewing bits of it together and it's making me nervous ^_^* (I have to say, I AM taking great relief in knowing that if I mess up the tops of the sleeves I can hide it under the pauldrons...)
You are not lying! Those fluffy pauldrons are a godsend! Kinda. They also might be a bitch to sew on... I haven't tried yet.

2012 Costumes:

Rogue Hawke :: Dragon Age 2::
Sgt Tamora Jean Calhoun :: Wreck-it Ralph ::
Rosie Cotton :: LotR ::
ros1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #625
marzlapin
almond flavored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I just bought fabric for Merrill's tunic and Isabela's "dress" today! And for the rings for my armor I bought some curtain rings that were on sale I got $36 worth of stuff for $9 due to gift cards and a huge sale going on at Joann Fabrics! Whoo!

I also have a Fenris for my little group now She probably wont be able to make him this summer but we are planning to have everything done by the next Anime Boston!
So now we have myself as Merrill, my fiance as Hawke, and my friends as Isabela and Fenris. AWESOME
Hey, you have a full party! You should walk around in formation

@quiescent: Oooh nice, yes please post pics!
marzlapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #626
Liquidfire3
.....see you later.

Hey guys, I found some more of that chainmail fabric in my closet. Only problem is instead of silver, it's copper. But, I do think that it could be spray painted silver with no ill effects. So if anyone is still interested in some, I'll sell it at a discount of $7 a yd. I have 3 yards available, so first come first served!

Cosplays in Progress
*True Form Midna: 45%
*Princess Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy): 40%
*Phazon Zero Suit Samus: 10%
Liquidfire3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #627
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiescent View Post
Hoping to post some photos after the weekend is complete
I can't wait to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzlapin View Post
LOL! I'd love to see that!

I'm happy to hear everyone's making progress! I finally caved and bought my Isabela boots today. I was holding out for some magical perfect boots, but I don't think I'll find any that fit. Locating thigh-high boots that will fit a woman with chunky thighs is harder than I thought! These are what I ended up with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I may end up distressing them some and maybe adding some extra buckles, but I figure they're a good start. On my short little legs, they'll actually come up almost as high as the ones in the game.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #628
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzlapin View Post

@quiescent: Oooh nice, yes please post pics!
lol we do! I didn't even realize!
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #629
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

hey guys....I am at a loss of where to start on Champion Rogue Hawke's armor. Where would you start? I have never made armor before...I have an idea and read some tutorials so I THINK I will be able to do it decently enough....but there's just so many details!!!

I have a feeling I will get Isabela done first since she is by far the easiest of the group...and I dont have to worry about Fenris because luckily my Fenris can sew for herself!

Why couldn't my fiance be Anders instead?! ;^;
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #630
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

So I'm currently looking for shoes for Hawke. They'll pretty much be covered by armor and what not, but I still want them to be fairly accurate (it's REALLY hard to tell what they look like). I stumbled across these. What do you guys think?