Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #1051
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Thanks Ros! I sent a request to join, I'm not really sure what that means and what happens now lol and I am EXCITED to help with your new cosplays

Lissie, lol footie pajamas! And I vote for Rogue. It might be the leather jacket, but I've always liked that version of her. And I can't wait to see more progress on your Merrill!!

Font, thank you! ^^ Ooohhh I totally wanted to make The Architect for my husband (he's tall and skinny so I think it would have looked awesome) but I never got around to it. I'm excited to see what you come up with for it though!

Last edited by Xavietta : 11-29-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #1052
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Oooh, Xavietta - I can just imagine what your Architect would have looked like! Your work is so amazing... I don't think mine will live up to those expectations, but I want to push myself more when it comes to costuming. I figure I'll never know what I can and can't do unless I try!

My main concern is making a hat/headpiece-thing that will stay securely on my head. Still working out the details on that one, but I have a pretty good concept of how to pull off the rest - it's just a matter if I can execute it.

I'm also rather short, so I'm debating how far I want to go with the height thing. I need to play Awakening again so I can get a height reference. Is the Architect just normal-human tall (like 6-feet), or fantasy-style extra-tall (like 7 feet or more)? If it's the first, I can get by with some platform boots... if it's the latter, I might start looking into other options like drywall stilts.

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 11-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #1053
youjik33

I'm going to cosplay as the Broodmother!

(...totally kidding. But I gotta say I'm impressed that you're even attempting the Architect.)

I've been playing my third DA2 playthrough, this time as a female Hawke. Romancing Anders as a girl feels really weird and "off" to me XD Also I was going to play Legacy as my second-playthrough Hawke just so I could bring Carver, but he romanced Fenris and apparently the DLC is bugged and Fenris-romance dialogue doesn't work right, which is kind of depressing.

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #1054
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

I feel like I've committed a crime XD I used hot glue on my Merrill costume!
lissiekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #1055
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Font, I think he was somewhere between 6 and 7 feet...I also think his crown and long fingers/arms made him look taller, so you could use that to your advantage without having to wear huge platforms, though they would be easily covered by the dress...uugghh I really want to make this costume now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiekun View Post
I feel like I've committed a crime XD I used hot glue on my Merrill costume!

lol! Oh no!! I use hot glue all the time on my projects, it works amazingly well on leather, fur and feathers ^^

As for my Merrill, here's what I have done on the chainmail:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...hainWIP008.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...hainWIP010.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but it's getting there. I started with the legs (for some reason...) and the bottom 2 layer part is the thigh and the strip coming up is for the side of the torso. I decided I'm going to work in a lot of gaps that will be covered by the rest of the costume mostly for time/weight issues, but also so I can get the damn thing on lol
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #1056
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Youjik, that's a bummer. I haven't played through Legacy with my Fenris-romanced character yet (only my Anders-romanced one), so that sucks to hear. >_<

Lissiekun - hot glue is your friend. One of my early cosplays was actually held together almost entirely with hot glue. No crimes here!

Xavietta: Dooo eeeet... you know you want to. Two Architects are better than one. :P (Have I mentioned I'm a horrible enabler?) I actually wouldn't mind wearing big stompy platform boots. I used to be pretty into the whole goth/industrial scene, so I'm no stranger to big platforms. And since they'd be hidden under the skirt-robe, no worries on authenticity problems. I also didn't think about how much height the weird hat/headpiece-thing is going to add too, so that does help.

The chainmail is coming along great, too! Just looking at chainmail always boggles my mind... it looks like sooo much work, and the logistics of figuring out how to make the structures just makes my head hurt. :P
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1057
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Xavietta: UGH. I would scream doing chainmail lol!
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #1058
youjik33

Wait, there are people who make costumes without using hot glue? = )

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #1059
lissiekun
I do believe in Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjik33 View Post
Wait, there are people who make costumes without using hot glue? = )
lol! Point taken XD
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #1060
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

lol Font, I can't! :P I already have 4 costumes for D*C to make and I kinda sorta want to make the Dark Brotherhood armour from Skyrim...You'll rock the Architect though, I'm excited to see it ^^

Oh, and I got Merrill's belt done:

http://xavietta.deviantart.com/#/d4hy101

The tooling was finished a while ago, I just never got around to dyeing it and adding the buckle pieces. Now back to the chainmail! (and all my commissions...)
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #1061
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

The belt is gorgeous! I had to read the description to know that the buckle wasn't metal. I love how truly authentic and non-"costumey" your stuff looks!

So I just remembered that this thread is for DA2 specifically, not just Dragon Age in general. >_< So I'll probably just post Architect updates in my gallery and maybe the Dragon*Con Dragon Age thread. I'll still hang out here and watch everyone's progress though!
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #1062
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I'v been slowly gesso-ing my way through the armor, and I'm really pleased with it so far! I'll post pics later, but yay, duct tape armor is working!
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #1063
youjik33

Nooo, post them here! We want to see them! = D

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1064
Mekarah
asserting disingenuously

Yeesh, hello all! I've been so absent and you all are making such awesome costumes and eee, love them all.

Xavietta, I still think you're absolutely insane doing actual chainmail, but I mean that as the best compliment ever. I also mean it as a compliment that I hope I never am at the same con as you, because my Merrill will pale in comparison

My Merrill is done and has been worn twice, and I think it's pretty good - but unfortunately can't find pictures anywhere that were taken of it! That's what I get for not bringing a camera ever, I guess. I'd really love to share it because I'd love critiques. It feels done but not...great?

I'm thinking of just fixing little things, like the leg armor - it just doesn't stay up/on as well as I'd like, and maybe being ambitious and making some fake chain mail (I just don't have the time/patience/money for the real stuff) using my awesome powers of knitting and spray paint, but I can't quite find a pattern for leggings that have such a huge gauge (what, people don't want to make see through leggings? Pshaw).

Also looking to make another costume for another game...maybe something more ambitious, like armor *scours this thread for armor-y folks and steals their ideas*

But mostly just wanted to gape and awe at your guys' amazing costumes ~
Mekarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1065
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Thanks Font! What a great compliment ^^ and I don't think anyone will mind if you post your Architect stuff here lol I know I won't, I can't wait to see it!

Mekarah, thank you ^^ the chainmail itself really isn't that difficult; the 4 in 1 weave is as simple as it gets, it's just time consuming. So far the tricky part is the suit itself. It's a lot of trial and error since I'm not following a pattern. I'm interested to see how the knitted chainmail comes out. It seems like a great alternative to the real thing.