Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
erayachi
Elbow Macaroni Destroyer

See cardio bag? Beat cardio bag. Bye bye body fat!

All right, I'm hooked, no pun intended.

This method is by far only something I'd recommend for those who are serious about burning the fat, toning the body and keeping it that way over a long period of time. And for those who need a vent for their frustrations. Because beating up plastic inflatable bags is fun.

I just bought a cardio bag; it's basically just an inflated plastic bladder on a padded metal pole, on top of a spring. It's not a heavy punching bag, it's just something that you can beat up and have it spring back and forth. In any case, I've only been using it for 5 days, a good 30-45 minute workout each morning and I'm already feeling stronger, and more energetic. Not only that, but it's good for the soul; if you've got stress, nothing beats beating the heck out of an inflated punching bag each day. I actually look forward to my workout each morning, I say, gleefully putting on the wrist wraps and knuckle padding.

They're not cheap; I was lucky to get mine for $80, on sale, so I'm not saying it's smart to run out and grab one as a spur of the moment thing. (A cardio bag is one inflated by air, punching bags are the heavier ones that require a special stand/ceiling) You can usually find them at a gym, any gym; just bring your own wrist/hand wraps to prevent injury and learn the correct way to strike the bag. This is the only exercise I've found so far that gives me focus; I can actually focus on the bag and keep working out, without getting bored or disheartened by the lack of results. Once you start thinking of all the things during that day that make you mad/stressed out, the 45 minutes fly by like nothing.

Finding a steady workout routine of punching/kicking a cardio bag or heavy punching bag is a good plan for those who have trouble focusing on their exercise, I find. And for guys especially, who want to get those shoulder, pecs and back muscles nice and sculpted for their costumes. There are risks involved (I bruised my shin pretty bad misjudging a kick, and again almost fractured my foot...bad...at kicking, I am) so you need to ensure you research first, but all in all, I strongly recommend this.

If you're just looking to lose a tiny bit of weight, or you're comfortable with your own style or method of losing weight, then there's no need to even read this post. This is just my personal findings, and a 'heads up!' for those who are seriously into their weight loss regime and/or find that running, climbing, or biking requires too much time or commitment. To me, losing weight and sculpting is 50% of my costume, not to mention my self-esteem goal for this summer, so I'll keep happily punching my way to my 130lb goal.

Definitely an $80.00 well spent. If you're thinking about getting that video game in a few days, and this intrigues you...well, think about it.

Unread 02-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

my roomie has a vinyl heavy bag that i beat on and kick around whenever i'm pissed. he used to have a canvas/burlap one that i hated because i would always bloody my knuckles on it. his wraps don't fit me because my hands are so small

i need to figure out a way to work this into my routine without getting so worn out

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
erayachi
Elbow Macaroni Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspitfire View Post
my roomie has a vinyl heavy bag that i beat on and kick around whenever i'm pissed. he used to have a canvas/burlap one that i hated because i would always bloody my knuckles on it. his wraps don't fit me because my hands are so small

i need to figure out a way to work this into my routine without getting so worn out
Shadow boxing. Always warm up first, stretch your arm and back muscles before hitting the bag, or your muscles will hate you for it. Also, wraps generally fit all hands; you could even just use a tensor bandage wrap to wrap your hands up. Neeeeever hit the bag without protection for the wrists and knuckle, even if it's vinyl.

The one I use may be air-filled, but I end up hitting the padded metal pole in the center because it's so squishy. I make sure I lift a couple 5lb weights around or dance around a bit to get my arms warmed up each time. Sure, the muscles still ache a little since that's a requirement to build muscle mass, but getting winded and worn out is part of the exercise. ^_^