Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread Today, 11:22 AM   #1
SharpieItBlack
Tattoo & Cosplay Addict

Calling those with weak knees :P

Ok so I got a new job working at a sports bar. I am enjoying it so far... except for my shift last night. It was a specials night on wings and it is the single most busiest day of the whole entire week. I was "running" (more like super fast speed walking) around tables, bussing them cleaning for big parties and then seating people and dealing with people who were waiting for 15 minutes (yes they complained on a 15 minute wait when other people who had been there for an hour were patient and understanding).
Anyway, last night was really rough on my knees. By the end of my shift, it hurt to stand, I was in pain and wanted to just sit down or stretch my legs and move my knee joints. I've always seemed to have weak knees, running would be more fun if it didn't feel like I was breaking my knee every time I would take a step.
I'm wondering if anyone has had success with knee braces for extended periods of standing and "running" (fast speed walking) around. I want to get one for each knee to wear during work. During my normal day around school I'm fine though. But I wanted to see what people think about using them for my job.

Unread Today, 12:06 PM   #2
Boreotheria

I've also always had weak knees and I hate running and high-impact footwork because of it. I waitressed last summer and spent the better part of eight or nine hours on my feet. Here's my experience.

If you don't have a specific diagnosed problem that requires knee braces, don't use them long-term. They're meant to give muscles and joints a rest so that they can heal, and if you use them when you aren't injured they'll actually end up weakening muscles that need to get stronger to solve the problem. Even when I used one for a few weeks after dislocating a kneecap in karate class, that happened. My knee was weaker afterwards because the brace stopped me from using certain muscles in addition to the tendons that were healing.

One really important thing to do right now, to avoid actually doing long-term damage to your knees, feet, hips and back, is to wear proper footwear. Don't cheap out on shoes. Get shoes that are designed for standing and walking all day. There are stores that specialize in work shoes for people who stand all day, like cashiers and nurses. I wore Doc Martens all that summer and while I had muscle aches from fatigue at the end of the day, I didn't have any tendon or joint damage.

For the first little while you'll be sore, just like when you start any new exercises that you aren't used to. Take hot baths when you get home, and use something like Icy Hot, Tiger Balm, or Ben Gay if you have actual muscle aches that keep you from sleeping or relaxing. (Try the topical creams and hot baths before you resort to painkiller or anti-inflammatory pills.) Before long you won't have to do that anymore because the muscles will be adapting to the workload.
Random steampunk wardrobe items

boreotheria@deviantart
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:17 PM   #3
SharpieItBlack
Tattoo & Cosplay Addict

Quote:
One really important thing to do right now, to avoid actually doing long-term damage to your knees, feet, hips and back, is to wear proper footwear. Don't cheap out on shoes. Get shoes that are designed for standing and walking all day. There are stores that specialize in work shoes for people who stand all day, like cashiers and nurses. I wore Doc Martens all that summer and while I had muscle aches from fatigue at the end of the day, I didn't have any tendon or joint damage.
Unfortunately I don't have a choice in foot wear. We have to wear the black non slip shoes, there's some support but not much. I may look into getting insoles though to make up for the lack of support. Thanks!