Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Adeloki

How much do you spend on your cosplays?

So I was wondering how much you guys usually spend on your cosplays. I know the numbers differ based on the amount of detail and material a character needs, for example a Light (Death Note) cosplay would be significantly cheaper than say a Clare (Claymore) cosplay. Comment down below how much you spend on average, including wigs because sometimes the wig can be the most expensive part of a cosplay haha. If you want you can also list your cheapest cosplay and your most expensive cosplay.
I've only cosplayed once, a fem. timeskip Grimmjow from Bleach which in total cost be, I would say about $60.

Unread 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My cheapest ever was Molly Millions, as it was essentially a closet cosplay. I just had to thrift a few items and it came out to about $20. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/441711/
My most expensive by far, Quorra from Tron:Legacy. Over two versions I've probably spent $1000. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/475473/
My AVERAGE costume cost? I save where I can, but I live in Canada where fabric prices and sales taxes and shipping rates suck, and I like big flowy yardage-intensive costumes, so most of the time my costumes work out to $200-300. I've managed gijinkas and originals and simple costumes on about $100.
...if you want serious detail I actually keep cost sheets on every single costume I made, all the way back to my first....

...this hobby is expensive.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

I have no idea about the costs for Whitemane, to be honest. She was my first cosplay and I remade parts of it this year and plan to remake even more in the future. But I think I'm somewhere between 100-180 with her.
However, my current cosplay is benefiting from cosplaner. Vampire Slayer Valla costed me 88 Euros so far. But this only includes materials and items I brought specifically for this costume and does not include things like craftfoam and worbla, which I both constantly use for my projects. This makes it hard to tell how much of each went into which costume. But...I estimate that she will cost me around 250-300 Euro in total once shes finished.
Unread 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Roo17
Mummy Gnu

too much!! I am very careful with keeping track of costs, I count everything right down to the spools of thread, and it all adds up very fast! My cheapest build so far was the Pokemon Team Magma cosplay I made for my son - that one ended up costing around £80 ($125 or so). Most expensive so far is my Rocket Raccoon - £231 (around $360) Ė and thatís not including props which Iím still working on. Am currently working on a WoW Lich King for my other son Ė that one is already up to £174! And there will be plenty more spent on it as I havenít bought any paint for it yet or the leather I need for all the straps. Sigh.
Unread 08-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

Bought a motorcycle for my England (hetalia) cosplay. (haha not really but it'll get used for that, so it counts.) So that's technically $6k+.

Least expensive was a closet cosplay I did of Toki Wartooth from Metalocalypse where I literally used stuff straight out of my closet, so it cost me $0.

On average, a cosplay will cost me a wig (~$30) plus whatever materials, depending on what goes into it...so probably about $100-150? I'm also really good at finding items inexpensively and modding them. For example, my Prussia cosplay is mostly surplus that I got a screaming deal on, so it cost me $43 including the wig.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Poland, England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
ilafatyu
That guy

My most expensive cosplay, Judal, came in at $189, but a good $70 of that was just wig supplies. Usually, my cosplays are between $50 and $70. My Sheik came out just under $60, not including adhesives and the eyelet punch.

My cheapest is Dipper, $8.38. What a cheap, cheap date.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Another Anime Convention

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing

Last edited by ilafatyu : 08-01-2015 at 11:11 PM.
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
Yoruset

Most I've ever spent on one cosplay was 350.
Yoruset is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
AngelTachibana

I try to budget for $150 each cosplay sometimes I go a little over and sometimes I go a little under so i feel it balances out in the end.
AngelTachibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
LadyIkaeri
LadyIkariCosplay

most of my cosplays run to about $100 or under but i have one that im getting made and it going to cost me about $2000 and worth every penny of that
LadyIkaeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Adeloki

bump
Unread 08-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
saite

mikasa ackerman (shingeki no kyojin/attack on titan): ~$200 for jacket, harness straps, white shirt, white jeans, black thigh high boots, red scarf, and fabric for skirt thingy

fem!mika (owari no seraph/seraph of the end): ~$270 for cloak, sword, wig, vampire fangs, sewing pattern for coat dress, and fabric (reusing boots from mikasa cosplay)

ryuuko matoi (kill la kill): $80 for wig and costume (never worn because doesn't fit at all TT_TT)

c.c (code geass) and yuki cross (vampire knight): FREE because i borrowed from a friend! ^^
AX 2016

WIP:
fem!Mikaela Hyakuya - Owari no Seraph

Last edited by saite : 08-25-2015 at 11:51 AM.
saite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
avanston
Anna

Too much for such little return ._." But what can you do when it's a passion!
avanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
LicketySplit07

My husbands hobby is guns and cars, so making costumes is considerably cheaper than both of those. That being said, I try not to let it get to me that I'm wasting money on costumes that I'll only wear once a year.

Generally I'll spend about $40 on my costumes. Granted, I'm still a beginner so I don't buy expensive fabric or anything like that. I buy whatever gets donated to thrift stores or is thrown on the clearance rack.

For my most recent costume though, I think I've doubled my usual amount if you count power tools (Shhh, don't tell my husband <wink>). It's an armor set from foam and with this being my first experience with that material, I've spent a goooood amount just buying things and seeing how well they work (<cough> glue <cough>)
LicketySplit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
2furrymidgets

Going by my amazon purchase history my Deadpool costume, including all of the accessories I bought came to just over £180. And all I wanted was a morphsuit :P. I don't see anything wrong with it though, s long as it ain't money you shouldn't be spending, why not?

Last edited by 2furrymidgets : 09-02-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I can't spell for Jack...
2furrymidgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
kandell

I don't think I've ever made a cosplay for less than $50-60. The MOST I've spent was around $500, but on average it comes to between $100-300.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote