Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Adeloki

How to pose

How do you guys pose for pictures at conventions?
Whenever I look up a tutorial (because I have no creative posing sense at all) on how to pose most of them are for photo shoots, but I was more curious on how to pose for "in the moment/ middle of the con" type of photos. I know a lot of people utilize their props for photos, but what if you don't have a prop with you?

Unread 06-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Oddly enough, most of those tutorials are a "in general", and not just for set up shoots. Basically all you have to do is look up poses your character does in the series you are cosplaying from. Then when someone asks for a picture, get into one of those poses. It's really as easy as that.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Practice in a mirror until you find a pose (or a few) that looks flattering and shows off the parts of the costume you most want to show off. When someone points a camera at you, use one of those poses. It doesn't take long to get a few go-to poses figured out.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Like Jei-Cos said, find poses that the character you are cosplaying does frequently (like a battle pose for instance) and try to copy it. If they don't really have an identifiable pose, think of a few that fit the character's personality. You can even google things like "cute poses" or "tough guy poses" or something, if you're really stumped. You can also try looking at fan art and see if you can draw inspiration from there.

I always find three or four different poses for each character and I practice them over and over in front of a mirror, until I am able to position myself perfectly without having to look at myself. The biggest trick is knowing your angles, and which angles work best in front of the camera. You almost always want to have your eyes visible to the camera, so even if you are doing a pose where you are looking off to the side, cheat your head so you can still see your pupils. Nothing looks weirder than only seeing the whites of your eyes lol Another tip- don't squish your arm into your body. If you're doing a pose where your arms are down, or crossed, or otherwise would be pressed against your side/torso, pull your arms away from your body a bit, otherwise you get unintentional arm fat.

But yeah. Definitely pay attention to tutorials, they will have all sorts of tips like this.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Pogman

I try to go for what highlights the character's personality and shows off the cosplay itself.
Pogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
~H~
Original H

Look up contraposso ^_^.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote